Sprint LG G2 been active for 10 Days now... a little feedback

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I was given a G2 by LG on 10/11 and activated it the next day. I'm coming from the HTC One which I loved, we'll see how this turns out. So far so good...
A few points...
1. Tap on - works pretty well, takes a little getting used to. You kind of have to figure out where on the screen it detects it the best.
2. Button layout - this took a lot of getting used to. I found myself fumbling dc x,,nd on the sides trying to unlock the phone for about a week. Now that I've gotten it down, I love it.
3. Screen size - Awesome. Phone is same size as my ONE, and with a 5.2"screen. Great picture, only complaint is in games, full screen windows, there is about 1/4" space taken up by on screen buttons.
4. Customization - one of my favorite non-hardware features. All icons can be customized, even stock. Also able to adjust size of the icon. Made a"contact widget" for my fiancee and changed the icon to a photo out of my gallery. You can also make custom LED color for specific callers.
5. (Negative) Speakers - 2. Located on the bottom of the phone on either side of charging port. Games and videos only come out of one speaker, and when gaming (or anything with audio you use in landscape mode), your hand completely covers the speaker when held comfortably
6. (Negative) Data/Voice - this may be a deal breaker for some. Not able to connect to data while on a phone call unless on WiFi. The LG rep wasn't aware of this till I told him, and said it works on Verizon. The only other phones that have this problem in Sprint are iPhones
7. Qslide, Slide aside, quick memo - great multi tasking features. quick memo allows you to write on a screen shot and save our share it. Accessible by holding volume down, or adding button to bottom of screen along with back, home, and menu.
8. Clip tray - saves copied text and pics to a board, instead of only being able to paste last item copied.
Bottom line, love the phone. I do miss my HTC when it comes to anything multimedia related, but battery life is much better, although there were quite a few background apps I had running on my HTC (gravity screen, dock for droid) that I don't need in the LG because of its features.

Let me know if anyone has questions!

Last edited:

mjnoles1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Since you have been able to utilize this phone on the Sprint network for 10 days. A couple of questions I have.

1) How is the signal strength of this phone compared to other Sprint phones?

2) How is the earpiece and mic when actually talking on the phone?

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Since you have been able to utilize this phone on the Sprint network for 10 days. A couple of questions I have.

1) How is the signal strength of this phone compared to other Sprint phones?

2) How is the earpiece and mic when actually talking on the phone?

As far as signal strength, it's been great... I've gotten 31.6mbps down in LTE, not typical, but I had similar speeds with my HTC one. However, I have LTE at home and work, and about twice a day, I'll drop down to 3g and have to update PRL to reactivate LTE. My LG rep says this is a common problem and they're working on a firmware update to fix it.

I have no complaints about call quality, but the speakers for video and gaming are placed awkwardly, on the bottom of the phone. So if you hold the phone naturally in landscape mode, you cover them up. A definite disadvantage when compared to the HTC

Posted via Android Central App

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Battery life in one word, is inconsistent. It's 12:30 and I've had my phone off the charger since 7 am and I'm at 54% I've been running it pretty hard, and been on LTE all day. Honestly,, I don't have enough usage yet to have a definite opinion. I need to run it on WiFi one day too see if that helps.

mjnoles1

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Very surprised with any word other than fantastic to describe the battery. The reason I did not even ask about that is that I thought the overall census on battery life in reviews was great.

Thank you for the reply in regard to the signal strength. You were mentioning LTE speeds. What I am more concerned with is phone calls. How is the signal strength when it comes to making phone calls and holding phone calls instead of dropping them?

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Very surprised with any word other than fantastic to describe the battery. The reason I did not even ask about that is that I thought the overall census on battery life in reviews was great.

Thank you for the reply in regard to the signal strength. You were mentioning LTE speeds. What I am more concerned with is phone calls. How is the signal strength when it comes to making phone calls and holding phone calls instead of dropping them?

I'm not saying battery is bad, I'm just less than impressed so far. I was using an after market charger that's supposed to not overcharge , but I've heard some bad feedback from co-workers about it. I'm going to stick with the oem from now on and see if that helps
Voice signal has been great, I haven't had a single dropped call.

GiantJay

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm confused by your comment on the "speakers." There is only one speaker on this phone the other is the mic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I'm confused by your comment on the "speakers." There is only one speaker on this phone the other is the mic.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Sorry, I misspoke. I guess I was spoiled by the HTC ONE. I'm not even comparing quality, the LG is no beats audio, but it sounds just fine...when it's not covered. Like I said, it's really only when I'm holding the phone in landscape orientation (which is every time I game or watch video) that it's a problem.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi Bryan....
I have bad hearing and wear hearing aids. I currently have a Note 3 and even after the vocoder fix, it's tough for me to hear well on the earpiece in a call.
Would you rate the audio on a call through the earpiece as below, average or above average in terms of clarity of others voices?

domo22

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey was wondering with the tri band if you have had better signal and data speeds compared to the htc one? Lte in anymore places ?

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hey was wondering with the tri band if you have had better signal and data speeds compared to the htc one? Lte in anymore places ?

Sprint doesnt actually utilize 3 LTE bands at this time. They are converting the old Nextel network (800mhtz) to be used on the LTE network. The G2 is the 1st sprint device capanle of running on all 3. So in short, no. However I've noticed getting LTE in parts of my house that didn't get before. So it seems that the radio may be stronger. Speeds are comparable, peak at aroumd 35Mbps

Bryan Jenkins1982

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bryan....
I have bad hearing and wear hearing aids. I currently have a Note 3 and even after the vocoder fix, it's tough for me to hear well on the earpiece in a call.
Would you rate the audio on a call through the earpiece as below, average or above average in terms of clarity of others voices?

Ive never really had a problem with audio quality on either, but I also don't use hearing aids. Sounds like something that would be impossible to judge without simply testing it. If you were a customer of mine, I would probably try to get authorization to waive restocking fees at least once so you could get am accurate result on your device based on your needs. So im sorry, but I dont think I can offer any opinion of value

blackwe387

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Great review brother I have mines on pre order. That is a deal breaker I have an s3 and I love the fact that I can do talk and data..