Hi,

New here and not exactly what I'd call tech-savvy. In fact, I don't know squat about cellphones in general.

I have an LG G2 and I can't get it to stay connected with my MacBook Pro. Every time I go to add music to it from iTunes or something, I get a message telling me if my phone is locked, re-connect it. The phone is not locked when this message appears.

I finally had enough of "Android File Transfer" and tried "Syncmate," which the phone didn't connect to at all.

All I wanna do is move some music to and from my G2. How can I get this phone to stay connected to my computer, or is this hopeless and just the first of many issues I'm going to encounter? I really don't wanna return my G2 (I've had it for three days...) and revert back to using my basic, boring iPhone 4S.

Any help would be great!

Thanks!
    11-12-2013 07:41 AM
    Android File Transfer stopped being glitchy for me on my rMBP w/ Mavericks after a few attempts.... Try closing all other running apps on your Mac.

Now there are 2 options and I use both for various reasons, first DoubleTwist + the AirSync add-on will allow you to transfer your iTunes library wirelessly to your G2 without ANY root.

Also if you aren't afraid of root (it may not be necessary to root but check it out) I'm using ES File Explorer and its FTP broadcast along with Cyberduck on my Mac to wirelessly transfer files.

Relevant links: Love your music. For Android, Mac & Windows - doubleTwist, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....androidPlayer, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idPlayerProKey

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    11-12-2013 09:47 AM
    You can also go with Play Music and the Play uploader for Cloud streaming and sync
    11-12-2013 10:06 AM
    Android File Transfer stopped being glitchy for me on my rMBP w/ Mavericks after a few attempts.... Try closing all other running apps on your Mac.

Now there are 2 options and I use both for various reasons, first DoubleTwist + the AirSync add-on will allow you to transfer your iTunes library wirelessly to your G2 without ANY root.

Also if you aren't afraid of root (it may not be necessary to root but check it out) I'm using ES File Explorer and its FTP broadcast along with Cyberduck on my Mac to wirelessly transfer files.

Relevant links: Love your music. For Android, Mac & Windows - doubleTwist, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....androidPlayer, https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...idPlayerProKey

and

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...gs.android.pop
    You can also go with Play Music and the Play uploader for Cloud streaming and sync
    Okay, I just tried the "Play Music" app which is already pre-installed on my phone. That is working, but it doesn't look like I can make a custom playlist? I can play the music, but just can't find where to make a custom list. I listen to a lot of different genres of music and want to separate them into separate playlists, it doesn't seem I can do that with Play Music. Am I overlooking something?

Basically, what I wanna be able to do is customize my playlists and just get them on my phone so I can listen to them via Bluetooth in my vehicle.

I also downloaded DoubleTwist, but not the "AirSync" add-on. Given the luck I've been having, I don't wanna just blow $4.99 right out the window, because then I'll just be even more frustrated if I'm still having issues.
    11-12-2013 10:46 AM
    Playlists are supported with Play. Get the Play music uploader and it will sync your iTunes playlists.

So far, the only case it doesn't work for (and neither will most Android solutions) are the old iTunes protected music as well as some specific formats like aiff.
    11-12-2013 02:09 PM
    Playlists are supported with Play. Get the Play music uploader and it will sync your iTunes playlists.

So far, the only case it doesn't work for (and neither will most Android solutions) are the old iTunes protected music as well as some specific formats like aiff.
    Jawbox, the only thing(s) showing up on Play Music are what I already have on the phone. The program isn't syncing to what's on my computer. I deleted all the playlists off my phone that were previously there. I was unable to export music from my computer to my phone.
    11-12-2013 04:38 PM
    Hey Dan, Im no mac expert but in my experience with phones not connecting with computers it's usually that the drivers aren't installing or I need to try another usb cable. You can manually download the drivers, just Google them. As far as the play music, this is my only source for music and I actually subscribed to it because it's awesome. It can be a little tricky so some tips I have are make sure the play music uploader is looking at your iTunes folder, if you have a lot of music there it will take a long time to upload it, (I usually let mine run overnight for 1500ish songs), also make sure your sync is on. Almost always people forget this part, this will also take a minute if you had a lot of songs you uploaded. I have had no issues loading playlists into my library and you can also create playlists right from the app if you'd like. You can also manage your entire library and see exactly what has been uploaded at music.Google.com in your browser. Welcome to the world of android, it can be a little more complicated then your iPhone but it's because it can do so much more, try not to get so frustrated because luckily there is always someone willing to help

Posted with LG G2 via Android Central App
    11-13-2013 12:17 AM
    Android Transfer is the worst piece of crap ever. It only works when it wants to. Have you tried removing your pass code temporarily and then connecting? If doing this happens to work, don't transfer big files at a time do small batches.

When I've run out of patience, I just do it through Dropbox in combination with Dropsync. It takes longer but it works every time.

Sent from Nexus 4
    11-13-2013 12:34 AM
    Haha. When i read the title i was like "no way that someone is seriously comparing a laptop to a phone for shopping."

Haha

Posted via Android Central App
    anon(226560) likes this.
    11-13-2013 12:34 AM
    Haha. When i read the title i was like "no way that someone is seriously comparing a laptop to a phone for shopping."

Haha

Lol me too I was going to vote for the Mac.

Sent from Nexus 4
    11-13-2013 12:35 AM
    Okay, I just tried the "Play Music" app which is already pre-installed on my phone. That is working, but it doesn't look like I can make a custom playlist? I can play the music, but just can't find where to make a custom list. I listen to a lot of different genres of music and want to separate them into separate playlists, it doesn't seem I can do that with Play Music. Am I overlooking something?

Basically, what I wanna be able to do is customize my playlists and just get them on my phone so I can listen to them via Bluetooth in my vehicle.

I also downloaded DoubleTwist, but not the "AirSync" add-on. Given the luck I've been having, I don't wanna just blow $4.99 right out the window, because then I'll just be even more frustrated if I'm still having issues.

You can buy android apps and return them to the app store if they don't work out for you...
    11-13-2013 01:53 AM
    And have you installed and run the Google music uploader on your Mac though? This is the component that gets all your music and playlists from the Mac side. Use the same free Google account you use to log into Google Play Music.

https://support.google.com/googlepla.../1229970?hl=en
    11-13-2013 07:09 AM
    Hey Dan, Im no mac expert but in my experience with phones not connecting with computers it's usually that the drivers aren't installing or I need to try another usb cable. You can manually download the drivers, just Google them. As far as the play music, this is my only source for music and I actually subscribed to it because it's awesome. It can be a little tricky so some tips I have are make sure the play music uploader is looking at your iTunes folder, if you have a lot of music there it will take a long time to upload it, (I usually let mine run overnight for 1500ish songs), also make sure your sync is on. Almost always people forget this part, this will also take a minute if you had a lot of songs you uploaded. I have had no issues loading playlists into my library and you can also create playlists right from the app if you'd like. You can also manage your entire library and see exactly what has been uploaded at music.Google.com in your browser. Welcome to the world of android, it can be a little more complicated then your iPhone but it's because it can do so much more, try not to get so frustrated because luckily there is always someone willing to help

Posted with LG G2 via Android Central App
    Hi, depechemodegurl (good band, BTW...), yes, Android is a bit more complicated (and much more frustrating...), but I like the phone. I hit the Sprint store last night and the issue with the 4G/LTE not connecting is a network issue, not a phone issue, so I guess I won't worry about that. It'll be fixed.

The guy at the Sprint store said to try a program called "Google Drive." I haven't had the chance to try it yet. My biggest issue with "Play Music" was that I couldn't import from my computer to my phone, but anything I already had on the phone would "read." How do I get the music uploader to recognize iTunes? I have a HUGE iTunes library; over 16,000 songs, to be exact!

Another "perplexing" issue that's come up is that I have some songs in my library which share the same title, yet they're performed by different bands. For example, a title is "Over the Edge." The problem is that two separate bands have songs called "Over the Edge," yet only one of them will load. I get a message about "skipping" or "replacing" it. Not only are the bands different, but so are the names of the albums. How can I get BOTH "Over the Edge" songs on to my phone?

Android Transfer is the worst piece of crap ever. It only works when it wants to. Have you tried removing your pass code temporarily and then connecting? If doing this happens to work, don't transfer big files at a time do small batches.

When I've run out of patience, I just do it through Dropbox in combination with Dropsync. It takes longer but it works every time.

Sent from Nexus 4
    You are SO right about Android File Transfer! I do not have a pass code set on my phone, but I keep getting messages about unplugging and replugging the phone in if my screen is locked (which it isn't...). I changed my settings to the "USB Debug" mode, or whatever it's called, but I haven't hooked up the phone to the computer to see if it makes a different yet.

Haha

Nah, literally a battle between the two, because they are NOT cooperating with each other! It's more like "Apple and Android vs. Me," and I am seriously getting owned!

Lol me too I was going to vote for the Mac.

Sent from Nexus 4
    Yes, all bets are on Mac on this one.

You can buy android apps and return them to the app store if they don't work out for you...
    I didn't know that, I may just take a shot in the dark and pay for something and see if it'll work.
    11-13-2013 07:16 AM
    I totally understand your frustration about the multiple bands with same song titles. I have the same issues and a gagillion remixes of DM songs by different bands but yet with the same title, so they have required a lot of manual intervention on my part to get them the way i want them. Google drive is a good option but i would never use it for music personally, mainly because play music is perfect for that and I wouldnt waste my google drive space for music. Google drive is basically like dropbox, you can put any type of document in there to be accessed from your phone, computer, tablet or whatever. So using it for music is pretty much a waste because thats what play music is for. There are some great tutorials online on how to setup play music, one that i found is How to Get Started With Music on Google Play | TechHive. Google play music gives you a 20,000 song storage for free so your 16,000 songs will easily all fit it will just take a long time to upload with upload manager. There is really no need to pay for any apps for this, you can do it all with google, the problem is just getting the right info so that you can do it. I think that link will help you the most, but remember you can access your entire music library on the website, so if you need to rename a song or an album title that is where you will want to go to do it. The uploader is litterally only going to upload. But you have to manage what has been uploaded from the website music.google.com. I personally have to go in there a lot to "help" google know my music, for instance I have cds that have bonus tracks on them, google wont recognize the bonus tracks for an album (most of the time) so it will seperate the 2 bonus tracks from the rest of the album so i have to go to the website to change the track numbers so that it counts all 15 songs on that album instead of 13. You might have had to do this in itunes too.
    I feel your pain tho, i pretty much only have android toys so i cannot figure out itunes for the life of me, i end up getting so frustrated that i quit LOL
    11-13-2013 12:06 PM
    I totally understand your frustration about the multiple bands with same song titles. I have the same issues and a gagillion remixes of DM songs by different bands but yet with the same title, so they have required a lot of manual intervention on my part to get them the way i want them. Google drive is a good option but i would never use it for music personally, mainly because play music is perfect for that and I wouldnt waste my google drive space for music. Google drive is basically like dropbox, you can put any type of document in there to be accessed from your phone, computer, tablet or whatever. So using it for music is pretty much a waste because thats what play music is for. There are some great tutorials online on how to setup play music, one that i found is How to Get Started With Music on Google Play | TechHive. Google play music gives you a 20,000 song storage for free so your 16,000 songs will easily all fit it will just take a long time to upload with upload manager. There is really no need to pay for any apps for this, you can do it all with google, the problem is just getting the right info so that you can do it. I think that link will help you the most, but remember you can access your entire music library on the website, so if you need to rename a song or an album title that is where you will want to go to do it. The uploader is litterally only going to upload. But you have to manage what has been uploaded from the website music.google.com. I personally have to go in there a lot to "help" google know my music, for instance I have cds that have bonus tracks on them, google wont recognize the bonus tracks for an album (most of the time) so it will seperate the 2 bonus tracks from the rest of the album so i have to go to the website to change the track numbers so that it counts all 15 songs on that album instead of 13. You might have had to do this in itunes too.
    I feel your pain tho, i pretty much only have android toys so i cannot figure out itunes for the life of me, i end up getting so frustrated that i quit LOL
    I've just decided that what I may just do is get a cheap computer, a backup drive, and get some other program and use it for my music, then just keep my MacBook for everything else. Everything aside, frustrations and all, I really like the phone and there's NO WAY I would go back to an iPutz (iPhone).
    depechemodegurl likes this.
    11-13-2013 01:26 PM
    I didn't know that, I may just take a shot in the dark and pay for something and see if it'll work.
    https://support.google.com/googlepla...r/134336?hl=en 15 minute return policy
    11-14-2013 01:10 AM
    Thanks!
    11-14-2013 05:10 AM