WTH is SmartShareProvider?

eptiger

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Why is it taking all my battery?

My battery life has generally been pretty reasonable (I've had it on battery for like 4 hours now and it's at 91% battery, with some use), and yesterday I noticed that my battery was approaching 30% within 12 hours of a full charge. When I checked Battery Mix it said that something like 50% of my battery usage was from SmartShareProvider (com.lge.smartshare.provider). Anyone know what this is and how I turn it off. I don't have LG Backup turned on so I can't figure out what this could be.

Thanks,

Elton

MikeG2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the same question. I checked power hogs using Battery Doctor this morning and found SmartShareProvider using 58%. The next highest app was Android System using only 16%. I'll report back when I get a chance to research it further...

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Why is it taking all my battery?

My battery life has generally been pretty reasonable (I've had it on battery for like 4 hours now and it's at 91% battery, with some use), and yesterday I noticed that my battery was approaching 30% within 12 hours of a full charge. When I checked Battery Mix it said that something like 50% of my battery usage was from SmartShareProvider (com.lge.smartshare.provider). Anyone know what this is and how I turn it off. I don't have LG Backup turned on so I can't figure out what this could be.

Thanks,

Elton

Why don't you just disable it in the app manager? I believe it's if you have an LG tv you can share files onto it, if you aren't using it then disable it.

Rockin my LG G2

MikeG2

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
I stopped having issues after powering the phone off and restarting it. SmartShareProvider dropped off the list of power hungry apps. I think it got hung on something/stuck in a loop. None of the answers I've seen online so far are authoritative. Many have disabled it without any problem, but I wonder if it's also related to NFC, Direct/Android Beam and other features. If you don't want to use any of them it'll probably be okay to disable, but I'll leave it on for now.

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I stopped having issues after powering the phone off and restarting it. SmartShareProvider dropped off the list of power hungry apps. I think it got hung on something/stuck in a loop. None of the answers I've seen online so far are authoritative. Many have disabled it without any problem, but I wonder if it's also related to NFC, Direct/Android Beam and other features. If you don't want to use any of them it'll probably be okay to disable, but I'll leave it on for now.

I disabled mine and still use my nfc with Google wallet. I came from a s3 and they had something similar called allshare cast, just more bloatware in my opinion.

Rockin my LG G2

eptiger

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
When I started using the Google Music app (which is way better than I remember it being like a year ago when I last tried it) it popped up some dialog I accidentally exited out of about "smart share", I think, where I think it would be smart about where to output audio (i.e. phone speakers vs bluetooth vs headset), but not sure if this process is related. I didn't see it go up in battery usage just because I was listening to music.

I've disabled it - we'll see what happens =P I think you're right that restarts help - must be a resource leak. I didn't know I could disable an app, I thought the only options were force stop and uninstall.

Elton