Google Now voice command on lock screen

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
Any way to get an easy link to Google Now voice commands on the lock screen? I know I can add the Google Now widget to the lock screen, but it doesn't give me the voice command capability. Basically, when I'm driving, it'd be nice to be able to hit one button on the phone and then be able to to talk to it and have it do certain things...

Any ideas??

Thanks!

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Any way to get an easy link to Google Now voice commands on the lock screen? I know I can add the Google Now widget to the lock screen, but it doesn't give me the voice command capability. Basically, when I'm driving, it'd be nice to be able to hit one button on the phone and then be able to to talk to it and have it do certain things...

Any ideas??

Thanks!

If you figure this out, I'd love the answer too!

Rockin my LG G2

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
I'm betting it can't be done unless you are rooted...it's so frustrating that these phone manufacturers take away some of the built-in stock android features...on my Nexus 7 I can swipe up in the lock screen (I have to enter my password) and then I'm in Google Now. Why can't it be that easy in this phone? Or why can't I just hit something and have it listen to my voice without me having to do anything else...?? Ahh...one day perhaps!

I'm going to give my bluetooth earpiece a try and see what double-tapping the button on it does...will let everyone know!

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm betting it can't be done unless you are rooted...it's so frustrating that these phone manufacturers take away some of the built-in stock android features...on my Nexus 7 I can swipe up in the lock screen (I have to enter my password) and then I'm in Google Now. Why can't it be that easy in this phone? Or why can't I just hit something and have it listen to my voice without me having to do anything else...?? Ahh...one day perhaps!

I'm going to give my bluetooth earpiece a try and see what double-tapping the button on it does...will let everyone know!

Figured it out, go into your lock screen settings and choose shortcuts, if you add Google it takes you to the Google now search but there is also one called voice search, it literally takes you right into the app and you can start talking. I don't have a password on mine so you'll prolly have to enter your password.

Rockin my LG G2

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
Ahh...I don't have a "shortcuts" option in the lock screen settings!

Are you running KitKat on your LG G2? If so, can you try adding a PIN password and see if that "shortcuts" option disappears form your lock screen settings...or am I missing something??

Thanks!

mbressman

Apr 22, 2010
www.falconcc.com
I have a Jabra BT8040 Bluetooth headset - when I pair it with my LG G2 and use it for voice command, it uses some default built-in stock voice command app (works even when locked). When I go into settings -> apps on my G2 and disable this "voice command" app and then use the BT8040 for voice command (via pressing the button on it), it now uses Google Now voice command! Unfortunately, when the phone is locked, it only gives me a Google Now voice command option to place calls, but maybe that'll be OK for me. Too bad it won't let me do other stuff while it's locked like "note to self", etc.

Still trying to figure out why I don't have a "shortcuts" option in my lock screen settings though... I must have something preventing me from disabling the PIN I have (I can only choose PIN, password, or swipe lock -> can't go back to no lock whatsoever), so I can't figure out if going back will allow the "shortcuts" menu option to appear. Am wondering if someone can verify if the shortcuts option doesn't appear when PIN is chosen, and if so, can they select the voice search widget as described above and then choose PIN and it will all work, or choosing PIN disables the ability to select the voice search option...

depechemodegurl

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ahh...I don't have a "shortcuts" option in the lock screen settings!

Are you running KitKat on your LG G2? If so, can you try adding a PIN password and see if that "shortcuts" option disappears form your lock screen settings...or am I missing something??

Thanks!

Yup you're right, if I set a pin lock then my option for shortcuts disappears. That's pretty lame.

Also, my lock is set to swipe but I do have a no lock option too but choosing it gets rid of any settings for the lock screen.
yvynedub.jpg

Rockin my LG G2

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Yup you're right, if I set a pin lock then my option for shortcuts disappears. That's pretty lame.

I disagree, I think it's pretty cool. Think about what you can do with that shortcut... Make calls, send texts, get contact info, and email, etc, etc. If I've locked my phone with a PIN or password, I don't want others to be able to do those things without first unlocking the device.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

TonyLibations

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, I think it's pretty cool. Think about what you can do with that shortcut... Make calls, send texts, get contact info, and email, etc, etc. If I've locked my phone with a PIN or password, I don't want others to be able to do those things without first unlocking the device.

It's lame because it should have been setup so that when you select one of those shortcuts, it prompts you to enter the PIN and then takes you straight to that app once you enter the correct combination.

Sent from The LG-G2.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
It's lame because it should have been setup so that when you select one of those shortcuts, it prompts you to enter the PIN and then takes you straight to that app once you enter the correct combination.

Sent from The LG-G2.

So, put a shortcut on your home screen, then once you've entered your password there's the shortcut. Isn't it just a different order of doing it?

rcdietz1

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I also just realized that from a any screen, you can swipe up from the bottom (kind of halo launcher) and immediately access voice, google or notes. Anyone know how to change the default apps for this? Maybe in the build.prop?

jawee808

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
galaxy s5 here. i clicked google now, scrolled to the bottom and clicked the three dots on the bottom right. (settings), click voice, click "OK GOOGLE" detection, and MAGIC!!.. check the boxes and u can do it now

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
galaxy s5 here. i clicked google now, scrolled to the bottom and clicked the three dots on the bottom right. (settings), click voice, click "OK GOOGLE" detection, and MAGIC!!.. check the boxes and u can do it now

That worked like a champ for me. Huh, who would've thought to go to the app settings to set this. :p

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
The new Google Search app has a setting to turn this on.

With this said, this should be the end of this thread.

Bye-bye.

Posted via the LG G2 Android Central App

Sandra Schwab

Dec 20, 2014
Visit site

I have Samsung s5, with Lolipop: I found it in Google now settings, Voice, "OK Google" detection, Personal Results, toggle On. Works in Lock screen.

Posted via the Android Central App

Uberhack

May 28, 2015
Visit site

Any ideas??

Thanks!

I'm on a Samsung S4 but that shouldn't make any difference. If you are running Android 4.4 (4.4 Android above I believe) you go to Google settings->voice - >"Ok Google " detection - > and enable the second option to detect from any screen. You still have to wake your phone up but you don't have to put in your pin. You just say" ok Google ". You will have to put in your pin eventually or else anyone that knows the words ok Google can use your phone without your permission.

hope that helps

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1