About to start futzing with my G2... make sure I'm not missing anything? :)

fracas

Oct 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm new to Android (WinPhone convert) but worked in IT and web development so I'm not a complete noob. :)

Anyway, I dig the G2 but got really annoyed with the bloatware and tried to delete some of it that apparently gimped my ability to get OTA updates... so I'm still on ZVA. Live and learn.

My understanding is that in order to start playing with custom ROMs I need to: take a backup with titanium (or is there something better? mostly just need to save texts and contacts), enable dev mode, root the phone, and install superuser and twrp. Then I can install decrapified and/or G3 ROMs, etc. Also noticed some stuff about installing new radios (which I assume refers to radio drivers).

I've gotten all this from Googling stuff which has given me I think a good general understanding, but wanna make sure I've got things down right before I do something stupid. If someone could confirm that the above is correct and mention any specifics I should be aware of for my particular case (Sprint G2 on ZVA) I'd appreciate it.

Next thing: I generally like the G2 interface but as mentioned crapware drives me nuts. So I'd be looking for a ROM that's simple, fast, minimalist, and hopefully preserves some of the real utility of the G2. Actually, I saw a thread on here about flashing to the G3 ROM - if that's available in decrapified form it might be just about perfect. And can I get OTA updates with a zero-crapware and/or G3 ROM or is it gonna be all manual after that?

Thanks guys :)

BecomingDeath13

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not a rooter here so I don't have the experience some other users have (if I had a pc I'd be all over rooting) but from what I've seen from other people is receiving an Ota will remove root. If you're using a g3 rom I'd be pretty certain you'd have to flash back to a g2 rom to receive the update. Granted I could be entirely wrong.
To be absolutely sure you should hit up the xda forums. That's root central and I can pretty much guarantee they'll know exactly what to tell you.