Sprint LG Marquee Root

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Check out this thread HERE for another Root / Unroot option. Hopefully this works for some of you that are having problems.

additional info can be found HERE as well

(thx to thomasmbl over @ androidforums)

Last edited:

enzyme

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
this is what I get.... I get the same result using all the available methods of root =(

root.JPG

djhanson3930

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
this root doesn't work for me it does the same thing as stated above. is there anything that i can do to fix this? i have installed the latest drivers for my phone. i have done everything as stated in the step by step instructios. PLEASE HELP ME!!

David

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
For those who haven't updated to the new Software, I strongly recommend downloading Voodoo OTA RootKeeper. It will allow you to restore root access after you update.

Confirmed by Nosajam not to work.

Last edited:

tanus

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
For those who haven't updated to the new Software, I strongly recommend downloading Voodoo OTA RootKeeper. It will allow you to restore root access after you update.

I had OTA RootKeeper installed before the update. After updated to new software, I cannot restore su either. RootKeeper would just display and message indicated su restored but it's not ...

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
I had OTA RootKeeper installed before the update. After updated to new software, I cannot restore su either. RootKeeper would just display and message indicated su restored but it's not ...

Did you temp unroot through RootKeeper before applying the update? Something I read suggested this step prior to downloading the OTA.

Edit: Found the instructions courtesy of thinkpadtabletforums. Obviously, replace "Thinkpad" with "Marquee" and "tablet" with "phone"

1. Root

2. Verify you have the App Superuser installed

3. Install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper.

4. Run RootKeeper and create a su backup. (su=superuser)

5. From RootKeeper run "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)" and you will have the option to Restore Root.

6. Go to Settings/About Tablet/Check for Updates on your TPT and select Restart Tablet and Install Update. You Tablet will restart with the green Android figure displayed over a progress bar. Your tablet will restart with the Lenovo logo displaying and the upgrade process will complete with a success notification. The entire process should take about 7 minutes. Note if you have removed or modified any apps you will have to restore them before OTA2 will succeed.

7. If you open RootKeeper ignore it indicating Superuser is installed and check under Apps to see if it is installed. If Superuser does not show under Apps, go back to Android Market, download, and reinstall, making sure you open the Superuser app to verify it is installed.

8. Open RootKeeper and choose Restore Root and accept Allow when prompted.

Edit 2: I have not personally tested this method as the update has not been pushed to my phone (and I might not even install even when it is). It was shared simply to help those trying to keep root while applying the update.

Edit 3: Nosajam has confirmed the above method does not work so please consider this post deprecated.

Last edited:

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Did you temp unroot through RootKeeper before applying the update? Something I read suggested this step prior to downloading the OTA.

Edit: Found the instructions courtesy of thinkpadtabletforums. Obviously, replace "Thinkpad" with "Marquee" and "tablet" with "phone"

1. Root

2. Verify you have the App Superuser installed

3. Install Voodoo OTA RootKeeper.

4. Run RootKeeper and create a su backup. (su=superuser)

5. From RootKeeper run "Temp. un-root (keeps backup)" and you will have the option to Restore Root.

6. Go to Settings/About Tablet/Check for Updates on your TPT and select Restart Tablet and Install Update. You Tablet will restart with the green Android figure displayed over a progress bar. Your tablet will restart with the Lenovo logo displaying and the upgrade process will complete with a success notification. The entire process should take about 7 minutes. Note if you have removed or modified any apps you will have to restore them before OTA2 will succeed.

7. If you open RootKeeper ignore it indicating Superuser is installed and check under Apps to see if it is installed. If Superuser does not show under Apps, go back to Android Market, download, and reinstall, making sure you open the Superuser app to verify it is installed.

8. Open RootKeeper and choose Restore Root and accept Allow when prompted.

Plonko,
Did you actually do the update?? If so, did taking the steps you posted work for you?? If so, please describe specifically what you did to make it work as many others have not been able to.

If not, then you need to update your post & not point others in the wrong direction here

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Plonko,
Did you actually do the update?? If so, did taking the steps you posted work for you?? If so, please describe specifically what you did to make it work as many others have not been able to.

If not, then you need to update your post & not point others in the wrong direction here

I have not had the update pushed to my wife's phone yet, so I cannot personally attest to whether the steps work. At this point though, I'm inclined not to accept the update. What we potentially lose seems to greatly outweigh what we gain.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: CAREFUL ! :eek:(

Edit 2: I have not personally tested this method as the update has not been pushed to my phone (and I might not even install even when it is). It was shared simply to help those trying to keep root while applying the update.

glad you added this part... I had made the assumption that you had tried and tested your method until nosajsam asked.

I appreciate that you want to help, but in the event your method does not work, you could be making matters worse for others. You yourself are not convinced that you will try the method you suggest. ...So knowingly or not, you were testing your theories at other peoples expense. :confused:

Reactions: nosajsam

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: CAREFUL ! :eek:(

glad you added this part... I had made the assumption that you had tried and tested your method until nosajsam asked.

I appreciate that you want to help, but in the event your method does not work, you could be making matters worse for others. You yourself are not convinced that you will try the method you suggest. ...So knowingly or not, you were testing your theories at other peoples expense. :confused:

Assumptions are the root of all evil. I was merely sharing the best intel I had as it directly related the the ongoing discussion. In particular, Bullet 7 seemed to address the previous complaint that Superuser was showing as installed but it wasn't. If people felt mislead by my post, such certainly was not my intention.

That said, I haven't seen anybody confirm that they followed all of the steps and it didn't work. Personally, I'm a fan of Supercurio and have confidence in his abilities (but again, I have no direct knowledge of the effectiveness of this particular app or the instructions credited and posted.)

I'm not advocating anybody be a guinea pig. The reason I wouldn't install it now is I have seen no feedback that the new software is in fact better than what we currently have and that new unforeseen problems haven't been inserted. Latest isn't always greatest. I always wait before installing new software updates. For example, if an app pops up needing to be updated, I universally ignore unless I'm having issues with the current version. I cannot count the number of times that an update broke more than it fixed.

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site

Wow, Plonko you posted this right?? How is someone NOT to assume that you did this yourself?? "It WILL allow you to restore root" does not sound like it MIGHT.

That said, I haven't seen anybody confirm that they followed all of the steps and it didn't work.

I can 100% personally confirm that I followed all the steps & it didn't work.

HERE is a thread from others who have tried unsuccessfully.

I'm sorry if this comes off wrong but you shouldn't have posted without knowing 100% as I went & shared your advice on other forums trying to help others thinking it would work. Anyways, thanks for clearing up & updating your initial post. I guess your intentions were good...

Guppeh

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Got some advice to ask from the folks here. I had just recently purchased a Marquee a few days ago, but been busy. Was going to activate it yesterday, but was too busy. So, the fact that I haven't activated yet, am I lucky or unlucky in my timing?

I'm assuming that it will not auto-update until I activate service. So, I'm checking with everyone to ask what steps I should take next, to obtain (and keep) root, and make a CWM backup -- can all needed software be loaded through a microSD card or through USB? Or does anything need to come through an App store?

Edit: Ok, I understand a little better now. I was under the mistaken impression that updates were installed immediately without authorization.

Last edited:

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Got some advice to ask from the folks here. I had just recently purchased a Marquee a few days ago, but been busy. Was going to activate it yesterday, but was too busy. So, the fact that I haven't activated yet, am I lucky or unlucky in my timing?

I'm assuming that it will not auto-update until I activate service. So, I'm checking with everyone to ask what steps I should take next, to obtain (and keep) root, and make a CWM backup -- can all needed software be loaded through a microSD card or through USB? Or does anything need to come through an App store?

to start,
which software version is on your phone??

goto:
settings/about phone/SW Version

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow, Plonko you posted this right?? How is someone NOT to assume that you did this yourself?? "It WILL allow you to restore root" does not sound like it MIGHT.

I can 100% personally confirm that I followed all the steps & it didn't work.

HERE is a thread from others who have tried unsuccessfully.

I'm sorry if this comes off wrong but you shouldn't have posted without knowing 100% as I went & shared your advice on other forums trying to help others thinking it would work. Anyways, thanks for clearing up & updating your initial post. I guess your intentions were good...

From the description of Rootkeeper "...OTA RootKeeper will make root survive OTAs and... pretty much well anything :)..."

If I made a mistake by reposting the instructions without first personally verifying, then you are guilty of the very same mistake by reposting my post without verifying it yourself. So we're even steven.

I now understand why developers put so much BS boilerplate in their postings. If I get grief for reposting instructions found online, I can't imagine the grief a developer gets when a handset gets bricked. Frankly, I think this is the very reason we do not see more development in this forum. As long as nobody is maliciously trying to get someone to ruin their phone, then the assumption should simply be that everyone here is a hobbyist working in good faith with no warranty whatsoever implied. Since there is now feedback it didn't work as anticipated, I'm happy to strike out my post.

I have nothing else to contribute to the conversation so I shall take my leave. If people mistook my post for a personal endorsement of the protocol, I apologize for any confusion. It was posted out of an attempt to help those who were choosing to update their devices and were losing root in the process.

Guppeh

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
to start,
which software version is on your phone??

Well, just started it up for the first time tonight (used phone, so it had a previous owner):

Baseband version LS855ZV9-M6600A-SCAUTSZ-3.0.40T
SW Version LS855ZV9

If I need to install an App from the market, I assume I can do so without service, over Wireless?

Edit: Zerg Rush kekekekeke. Rooted, CWM Backup made. This is so much easier than working with my old WM6 phone.

Last edited:

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
that's the older version of the software but it appears that forum member Asadullah has posted a update that applies the newest update, keeps Root & CWM. Can be found HERE:

Guppeh,
Yes, you can install & download apps over wi-fi without Sprint service.

Last edited:

Guppeh

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
that's the older version of the software but it appears that forum member Asadullah has posted a update that applies the newest update, keeps Root & CWM. Can be found HERE.

Just tried it. I downloaded the file, clicked on it, went to ROM Manager. Told it to wipe Dalvik cache and Data. Phone went through update, rebooted.

After reboot, it went to the LG startup screen with flashing icons, never progresses past this point. Did I just brick my phone?

Edit: Restored and completed update process to Asadullah's ROM, thanks to some excellent advice from the Android Forums folks. Everything appears to be functioning normally with the new update.

Last edited: