Has anyone w/ Marquee tried wifi tethering yet?

jtnss

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have Optimus S right now. Pretty much fully satisfied.... but wouldn't mind upgrading to Marquee. Prob out of the question though if I can't get one form or another of wireless tether to work. There are a number of options out there for tethering but I'm not interested if it creates an adhoc hotspot connection type.

There is a free app from the Market that a lot of folks have had success w/ (not requiring root). It is called "Tethering Widget"

Would be interested to know if this or anything else works for anyone.

forsignup

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
same things here. confirmed
I have Optimus S right now. Pretty much fully satisfied.... but wouldn't mind upgrading to Marquee. Prob out of the question though if I can't get one form or another of wireless tether to work. There are a number of options out there for tethering but I'm not interested if it creates an adhoc hotspot connection type.

There is a free app from the Market that a lot of folks have had success w/ (not requiring root). It is called "Tethering Widget"

Would be interested to know if this or anything else works for anyone.

timf76

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I have been able to tether without rooting the phone by disabling the NAI. Since the tethering is done with the native hotspot app it is in infrastructure mode.

Download and install Launcher Pro from the market. Its free.
Use Launcher Pro or any other Launcher as your default.
Long press an empty space in your home screen.
click shortcut
click activities
scroll down to com.lge.hiddenmenu
expand com.lge.hiddenmenu
click Data Setting in com.lge.hiddenmenu category
click DUN NAI
and under extend modem change it to no

This will allow you to tether without the charge from Sprint.
I found that this setting has to be changed ever time the phone restarts.
Not a big deal since you create a shortcut with launcher pro

Last edited:

Gerbilkit

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Could someone help me out with this? I rooted my phone and went to install the tethering app but I can't seem to figure out which app you are talking about. It tried the following:

https://market.android.com/details?id=android.tether&feature=search_result

But it says it is incompatible with my device. All other apps I see in the android market are for other phones and don't require root. I only want to use this on the rare occasion my laptop has no WiFi, not as a replacement for my internet, so I have no interest in paying the Sprint tethering charge.

Reactions: needlove1234

dracodoc

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Does it work well in infrastructure mode, or just ad-hoc mode?

The log in my Marquee said ad hoc mode failed. I suppose it was working in infrastructure mode, but I cannot tether with HP touchpad, it will not even find the network. ipod touch tether works. So I guess it is ad hoc mode.

I tried some options, didn't get it work with HP touchpad.

Besides, the non root method posted above using built in hotspot seemed to work in
infrastructure mode, HP touchpad can find the network, but cannot connect it even with open network, it will require me to set up ip manually.

Has anybody be able to tether with HP Touchpad?

uvaglen

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new user (just made the jump to Android this week from a Samsung Intrepid) and really appreciate all the info on this forum.

I am having trouble getting WiFi Tether to work. I'm rooted (thanks nosajsam!). I've tried both WiFi Tether 2.0.7 and 3.1beta. Both give me an error in the log saying "setting ad-hoc mode -- failed" when I click to start tethering. The rest of the processes listed in the log are completed successfully and it does say "tethering now running." A wireless network is created which I can see in the list of available networks on my laptop, but when I attempt to connect to it the laptop just thinks and thinks and the connection is never successful.

Any advice on how to get this working? dracodoc and all the other users that are having success using WiFi Tether, did you have to make any tweaks to get wireless tether to work correctly?

Alternatively, is there a way to use the no-root-required method of tethering discussed in this thread while still using the stock launcher?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

uvaglen

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm a new user (just made the jump to Android this week from a Samsung Intrepid) and really appreciate all the info on this forum.

I am having trouble getting WiFi Tether to work. I'm rooted (thanks nosajsam!). I've tried both WiFi Tether 2.0.7 and 3.1beta. Both give me an error in the log saying "setting ad-hoc mode -- failed" when I click to start tethering. The rest of the processes listed in the log are completed successfully and it does say "tethering now running." A wireless network is created which I can see in the list of available networks on my laptop, but when I attempt to connect to it the laptop just thinks and thinks and the connection is never successful.

Any advice on how to get this working? dracodoc and all the other users that are having success using WiFi Tether, did you have to make any tweaks to get wireless tether to work correctly?

Alternatively, is there a way to use the no-root-required method of tethering discussed in this thread while still using the stock launcher?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Solved my problem and now can connect successfully through WiFi tether!

In case any other users have a similar problem, check the driver settings on the computer you are trying to tether. My Intel WiFi driver was set to connect through Ad-Hoc channel 11, while WiFi Tether's default is channel 1. I changed the ad-hoc channel in WiFi Tether's settings menu to Channel 11, and then everything worked!

jtnss

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
I have been able to tether without rooting the phone by disabling the NAI. Since the tethering is done with the native hotspot app it is in infrastructure mode.

Download and install Launcher Pro from the market. Its free.
Use Launcher Pro or any other Launcher as your default.
Long press an empty space in your home screen.
click shortcut
click activities
scroll down to com.lge.hiddenmenu
expand com.lge.hiddenmenu
click Data Setting in com.lge.hiddenmenu category
click DUN NAI
and under extend modem change it to no

This will allow you to tether without the charge from Sprint.
I found that this setting has to be changed ever time the phone restarts.
Not a big deal since you create a shortcut with launcher pro

Thanks!!!! You're awesome. My coworker just bought the Marquee two Fridays ago and I couldn't get "Tethering Widget" from the market to work. Kept giving me a connection error "Error Code 67: Unable to establish wireless data connection. Please select Update Profile to correct ..... blah blah."
I tried your settings on his phone just now.... and it works perfectly. I adjust the DUN NAI to "No" and then click on the "Tethering Widget" and the hotspot comes on w/ out the error... and it is an infrastructure mode network connection. Laptop browses fine.

dadaR6

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Solved my problem and now can connect successfully through WiFi tether!

In case any other users have a similar problem, check the driver settings on the computer you are trying to tether. My Intel WiFi driver was set to connect through Ad-Hoc channel 11, while WiFi Tether's default is channel 1. I changed the ad-hoc channel in WiFi Tether's settings menu to Channel 11, and then everything worked!

Are you still getting the "ad-hoc failed" in Wireless Tether logs?

uvaglen

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Are you still getting the "ad-hoc failed" in Wireless Tether logs?

If you're still having trouble connecting, try changing the "LAN" settings in Wireless Tether -- this was another problem with my connection. The IP address default under LAN settings seemed to be conflicting with my home network; once I changed the WiFi Tether LAN setting to a different IP it worked like a charm.

dadaR6

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
If you're still having trouble connecting, try changing the "LAN" settings in Wireless Tether -- this was another problem with my connection. The IP address default under LAN settings seemed to be conflicting with my home network; once I changed the WiFi Tether LAN setting to a different IP it worked like a charm.

I changed the LAN setting to 10.10.1.0/24, enabled encryption with default values except channel to channel 11. I can see the ad-hoc on my PC, but after entering the password to connect to it, it just sits there for ever saying that the connection is taking longer than usual. The phone did not vibrate either, so it did not establish a connection?

dadaR6

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I changed the LAN setting to 10.10.1.0/24, enabled encryption with default values except channel to channel 11. I can see the ad-hoc on my PC, but after entering the password to connect to it, it just sits there for ever saying that the connection is taking longer than usual. The phone did not vibrate either, so it did not establish a connection?

Ok, I finally got it to work! I had to update the Intel wifi drivers to the latest ones: 14.2.0.10, then it worked right away!

Hope it can help someone else...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante