CWM custom recovery. WORK IN PROGRESS

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
This is an off shoot of my original CWM recovery thread. I'm not going to re-write what I added to my original post, I'm just going to start off from where I was at.

I have made great progress with our own CWM (to a point) since my 11/02 update. I have managed to get our memory blocks mapped out so recovery knows where to look for everything. This will make it possible to retrieve all the different files we need for a true backup. Doing this has been a real pain as LG managed to leave some very useful commands out of ROM and I've had to learn some work arounds.

I figured out how to decompile "recovery.img" to get to the guts. Also, I have found the mis-directed recovery points in "recovery.fstab" that cause our current CWM not to work 100% and attempted to correct them.
I have also figured out how to recompile the "img" with the correct changes.

At this point things go horribly wrong. I don't know if I mucked up my recompile, address changes or both but I am now the proud owner of a brick.
It boots and goes straight to recovery but you can't get out of it. No way, no how! Even the trick I used to force a new recovery install when the old 3.0 recovery went sour doesn't work.
Guess I'll be going back to BB in the AM to try to get an exchange on the 28th day of my 30 day grace period.
If anyone else wants to try figure out where I went wrong, I will gladly share what little I know.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Best of luck with BestBuy. Sorry to hear about your phone.

Your hard work is greatly appreciated. ;)

I Wish I could help more :-[

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
This is an off shoot of my original CWM recovery thread. I'm not going to re-write what I added to my original post, I'm just going to start off from where I was at.

I have made great progress with our own CWM (to a point) since my 11/02 update. I have managed to get our memory blocks mapped out so recovery knows where to look for everything. This will make it possible to retrieve all the different files we need for a true backup. Doing this has been a real pain as LG managed to leave some very useful commands out of ROM and I've had to learn some work arounds.

I figured out how to decompile "recovery.img" to get to the guts. Also, I have found the mis-directed recovery points in "recovery.fstab" that cause our current CWM not to work 100% and attempted to correct them.
I have also figured out how to recompile the "img" with the correct changes.

At this point things go horribly wrong. I don't know if I mucked up my recompile, address changes or both but I am now the proud owner of a brick.
It boots and goes straight to recovery but you can't get out of it. No way, no how! Even the trick I used to force a new recovery install when the old 3.0 recovery went sour doesn't work.
Guess I'll be going back to BB in the AM to try to get an exchange on the 28th day of my 30 day grace period.
If anyone else wants to try figure out where I went wrong, I will gladly share what little I know.

please keep us updated...I hope this works out for you.

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Back in business but not without controversy. BestBuy didn't want to exchange because it was stuck on the CWM screen. They said go to Sprint and they can restore your phone.
According to the Sprint rep, LG hasn't released the restore image for our phone. He was nice enough to verify this with two other stores. He suggested I permanently kill the phone so it wouldn't boot at all and go to a different Sprint store.
This was the route I took and I now have a new Marquee. This time with their Black Tie protection in case it happens again.

Last edited:

jamesrenn

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my Sprint LG Marquee and just left the original rom and recovery alone, haven't tried the black recovery and glad I didn't :) Looking forward to someone figuring this thing out and get the ball rolling. From my understanding the CWM dude whoever he is doesn't have time to mess around with these low end devices like the LG Marquee. Really disappointed to hear about this rumor and hopefully someone who is good at this stuff will help us all out. Peace

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
holy cow, just saw this thread now. Interesting.

Sorry to hear about your hiccup there. In the future, I can tell you that some of my friends used to put TEP on their Sprint line (total equipment protection) when they were working on bootloaders for this very reason. But you got lucky- bringing it into a store, some reps will notice that the rom has been tampered with and refuse service, and flag your account so that you can't even try elsewhere.

A little trick that I don't necessarily recommend- at least one of these guys told me that whenever they bricked their phone, a quick 30 seconds in the microwave would remove the evidence. No recovery screen, nothing. They would then walk into a store, with a phone that didn't show any kind of physical damage, and say "I don't know, it just stopped turning on". Walk out with new phone.

I'm sharing this because its a funny anecdote. I'm NOT condoning this method, so please use your own moral judgement when it comes to this sort of thing. ;)

belovedson

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
never go in store for a warranty swap with cwm on the bootscreen. they can always void once rooted or in cwm screen since it requires root... just saying

packers pro

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Go and download this app rom toolbox and they would let you do whatever you want light rom mod and I think that will cut it for you all n let me know did it woke fun not

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Go and download this app rom toolbox and they would let you do whatever you want light rom mod and I think that will cut it for you all n let me know did it woke fun not

this is the 2nd thread you have posted this in...I have read it multiple times (in both threads) & still don't get it. Please explain...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463