Sprint website no longer shows LG Marquee

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Sprint no longer is showing the LG Marquee on their website. Is this phone no longer in existence? Strange! I thought about getting this phone. :(

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Sprint no longer is showing the LG Marquee on their website. Is this phone no longer in existence? Strange! I thought about getting this phone. :(

In the past, I've seen phones "disappear" for a short time from sprint.com if there is an software update being done to them.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I see that it's free at Radio Shack as well. We'll if it's getting a update I wonder if it'll get Ice Cream...or am I being silly to think that..... LOL!

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
It's more than website error. I spoke to Telesales (both the standard and the SERO) and nobody knows what has happened to the phone. It has been completely removed from all of their systems without a trace. Each person I spoke too said they had never seen anything like this before.

Nobody can tell me if the phone has been recalled due to some fatal issue with the handset or some other reason. I don't think it's simply "out of stock". The only other reason I can think of is that the phone has been too popular with SERO users trying to avoid the $50/month 4G/iPhone fee. It was the only 3G phone they had I felt was worthwhile to upgrade my wife to the $40/month plan from her $30/month Touch Pro2. Absent the Marquee, she's going to want the iPhone....Argh.

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It was the only 3G phone they had I felt was worthwhile to upgrade my wife to the $40/month plan from her $30/month Touch Pro2. Absent the Marquee, she's going to want the iPhone....Argh.

Which is exactly why I considered getting the LG Marquee for myself. I had a LG Optimus S which was stolen last month. Now I gotta pay the extra $10.00 a month if I get another smartphone. If I gotta pay that extra fee every month I wanna get a decent smartphone. I'm considering the Motorola Photon or the Samsung Galaxy II. Both of those phones have many pros/cons. I can upgrade now but have to decide by the end of the year. Best Buy has the Photon for only $100.00 right now. I can't make up my mind which phone to get. That SGalaxy II is fricking huge. The LG Marquee seems to be the happy medium for me. Shrugs! I dunno which smartphone to buy! :-\ :-\:-\:-\

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Oddly enough, while the third party vendors have them in stock around me, the local corporate store does not.
In fact, the rep I was talking to had never even heard of the Marquee. He asked me if I was sure it wasn't a Verizon phone.
After insisting he look it up, he found that it was in the system, but they weren't slated to receive any. They had never received any information, training, or otherwise any kind of notice that this phone was released or even existed. The rep admitted that this is highly unusual and he had never experienced it before. This was just last week.

I don't know what's up with it, but I'm hoping there is some sort of flaw being worked on or something. I don't think they are pulling it from the lineup- I actually met with Michelle Leff, one of Sprint's big PR reps at a press event a few days ago in NYC. On display was the Marquee, right next to the SGS2. I think if they were pulling it, they wouldn't have brought it along to the show. One of the reps I spoke to did admit that it seemed to have trouble with the stock launcher and seemed laggier than it should be, however he blamed it on some OEM limitation (not sure what that means, actually).

Some of you already know that I was disappointed with my initial impression of the device. I'm not ready to give up on it, though. I'd like to think that someone there has realized that there was, in fact, some sort of problem, and it is being sorted out as we speak. If the Marquee emerges with a new firmware or something, as a faster and more solid device, than it may yet be my next phone.

Meanwhile, to all of you who are still looking for one, BestBuy online has them in stock, otherwise I would give the Transform Ultra a very strong look. Its the only other 3G phone I would consider if I were you (and no, its not anything like the abomination that was the original transform).

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
otherwise I would give the Transform Ultra a very strong look. Its the only other 3G phone I would consider if I were you (and no, its not anything like the abomination that was the original transform).

I've seen you post in numerous places high praise for the Transform Ultra...I am just wondering, if you like it so much what is stopping you from pulling the trigger & getting it?

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
I've seen you post in numerous places high praise for the Transform Ultra...I am just wondering, if you like it so much what is stopping you from pulling the trigger & getting it?

I said this before, and I'll say it again- I want the Marquee to work. I was really looking forward to it, and part of me doesn't want to give up on it.

There are quite a few reasons I would rather a Marquee than a Transform, which include (but are not limited to) the camera quality, the size and shape of it, and I think LG put more effort into the build quality.

All things being equal (speed, battery life, etc), I'd rather the Marquee. But in its current state from what I've seen, they are not equal. I've already told you my theories about it, and if there is something that can be fixed I'm still in.
Its good to know that the Transform exists as a plan B.

EDIT: This doesn't look too good... http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/367188#367188
Going to try and reach out to Sprint for some official response.

Last edited:

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I said this before, and I'll say it again- I want the Marquee to work. I was really looking forward to it, and part of me doesn't want to give up on it.

There are quite a few reasons I would rather a Marquee than a Transform, which include (but are not limited to) the camera quality, the size and shape of it, and I think LG put more effort into the build quality.

All things being equal (speed, battery life, etc), I'd rather the Marquee. But in its current state from what I've seen, they are not equal. I've already told you my theories about it, and if there is something that can be fixed I'm still in.
Its good to know that the Transform exists as a plan B.

EDIT: This doesn't look too good... Sprint Community: Issues with LG Marquee
Going to try and reach out to Sprint for some official response.

Good luck trying to get an official response from Sprint. I am 99.9% sure there is nothing wrong with the phone. This phone is in almost every retail store that sells Sprint phones (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target etc.) not to mention all the advertised upcoming deals for Black Friday. So it hasn't been recalled or discontinued. I have seen this happen many times with other phones on Sprint.com. My guess is it is possibly missing due to a website/webdesign error OR some kind of an update being done to the phone &/or packaging.

your posted link I take with a grain of salt. Yes its of someone complaining but their issues with the phone seem to be related to being in a bad service area. Fyi, the 3g & service bars turn white when there is no Background Data being transmitted or when the Background Data has been unchecked in the Accounts & Sync settings (its not a problem or phone issue). Except for that thread, I have not read anywhere else of other users having problems with the phone freezing (I'm not saying its not happening but I have 2 that work just fine). Regardless, he then rants more about Sprints customer service & then returns the phones & cancelled his Sprint service altogether. The fact that he cancels his service without trying out a different phone is a red flag for me...but whatever...thx for the link.

btw speaking of problems, there sure are a lot of them discussed here...
Samsung Transform Ultra - Android Forums

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Good luck trying to get an official response from Sprint. I am 99.9% sure there is nothing wrong with the phone. This phone is in almost every retail store that sells Sprint phones (Best Buy, Radio Shack, Target etc.) not to mention all the advertised upcoming deals for Black Friday. So it hasn't been recalled or discontinued. I have seen this happen many times with other phones on Sprint.com. My guess is it is possibly missing due to a website/webdesign error OR some kind of an update being done to the phone &/or packaging.

your posted link I take with a grain of salt. Yes its of someone complaining but their issues with the phone seem to be related to being in a bad service area. Fyi, the 3g & service bars turn white when there is no Background Data being transmitted or when the Background Data has been unchecked in the Accounts & Sync settings (its not a problem or phone issue). Except for that thread, I have not read anywhere else of other users having problems with the phone freezing (I'm not saying its not happening but I have 2 that work just fine). Regardless, he then rants more about Sprints customer service & then returns the phones & cancelled his Sprint service altogether. The fact that he cancels his service without trying out a different phone is a red flag for me...but whatever...thx for the link.

btw speaking of problems, there sure are a lot of them discussed here...
Samsung Transform Ultra - Android Forums

LOL, I see what you did there.

But his "problem" with the phone wasn't my point (there's always someone somewhere who will complain about something on the internet). He clearly didn't know much about the device and had a rather sour experience with Sprint Tech Support. I don't blame him for wanting to go elsewhere, but that's neither here nor there. Rather, I was trying to link directly to post #3, his follow up post, which is relevant to our topic:
"I was officially informed from the technician at the Sprint Technical store that no diagonstics are available for this phone because the Sprint store does not carry the model and it will never have diagnostics since the phones will never be carried at the store."
That's the part that doesn't look good.

Sure, maybe Sprint temporarily removes a phone from their site for maintenance (on that note, has anyone else seen this happen? Which phones? I'm not doubting its possible, but I've never noticed it before), but I've never heard of a phone that was not offered in their corporate stores, and had no plan to be available for tech support. This is very similar to my own personal story a few posts back, where my local corporate store also didn't have it, and one rep had never even heard of it. That combined with the sudden disappearance online is bizarre, whether you want to deny it or not.

Meanwhile- are you really trying to make this a competition between the Transform Ultra and the Marquee? Because I never said either was perfect. Heck, I still haven't decided which one I personally prefer yet. I don't think that any phone is perfect.

However, I must admit that I did find it kind of funny that you posted a link to that forum saying "there sure are a lot of them [problems] discussed here". How many posts do you really see of people complaining there?
There is one very well documented screen sensitivity bug. I honestly didn't even notice this until someone pointed it out and I tried to recreate it on the one I've been using here for the last 2 weeks. I have to actually consciously try to recreate it for it to happen, the bug doesn't really show up when I use it naturally. It is very likely a software problem, and the other "problem" threads I see there are all related (Swype, moving icons on the screen, etc).

But that doesn't mean the Transform is perfect. Far from it. I've noticed some glaring bugs of my own with it, but none of them are mentioned on that forum, and honestly aren't deal breakers. None of these devices are perfect- the goal is the pick the lesser of all evils. That's really the basis of my discussion here- I'm not taking sides, in fact sometimes I even play devil's advocate. I'm trying to explore all options and pros and cons, and share them with the community at large. Because denying that problems exist don't actually help anyone.

Look, I'm not sure why you have to act all defensive at the things I post here. Why can't we be friends?

EDIT: oh, forgot to mention. I get to meet with Sprint PR reps from time to time because of my affiliation with gadget blogs. I already said that I met some of them at a press event last Thursday night. When I say I'm going to reach out for an official response, I don't mean calling customer support. I mean talking to the people who actually know.

plonko

Nov 20, 2011
Visit site
Hello Dishe,

Please do let us know what you're able to find out from the Sprint Reps. The mystery is driving me crazy.

I did look at the Transform Ultra. For me, there were two major downsides:

1) The low resolution (320x480), smaller screen

2) The keyboard - Not only does it add thickness, the sliding mechanism felt very sloppy (at least for the store demo) and was very "flat". The TP2 keyboard was far superior and my wife already had grown unhappy with a physical keyboard.

Hopefully your contacts can provide a reasonable, confidence building explanation to allow me to pull the trigger and get the phone for my wife. With every passing day, she's growing more and more enamored with the iPhone. I can live with upgrading her to SERO Premium for $10/month, but the thought of paying an extra $20/month required for an iPhone for the same 3G makes me ill to my stomach.

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Sure, maybe Sprint temporarily removes a phone from their site for maintenance (on that note, has anyone else seen this happen? Which phones? I'm not doubting its possible, but I've never noticed it before)

it happened repeatedly with the HTC Touch Pro & Touch Pro 2. Both those phones would disappear from Sprint.com for a couple days at a time & then all of a sudden be back on there with no official explanation or reason from Sprint (btw, is an official reason even necessary??)

Again, there is NO way this a recall due to a fatal flaw or production problem with this phone. If it was then EVERY store that carries it would have to send it back immediately as well. Instead we have people (like yourself) posting theory's, opinions & unconfirmed thoughts on what happened. Just because a "Sprint Technician" gave his 2 cents, it doesn't make it OFFICIAL (as implied in your blog). With all that said, even if the phone is not available at Sprint.com or gets discontinued it IS still currently available at other retailers & stores.

BTW, the Sprint Corporate Stores, Employees & Technicians new NOTHING about this phone even when it was available on Sprint.com, so I don't expected them to know or provide correct information about it now....

Here is another possible reason:
Before it was available on Sprint.com, the LG Marquee phone was initially released & available at Radio Shack & Best Buy (btw, this is also the case w/ the Transform Ultra...available exclusively at Radio Shack before Sprint's official release). Has anyone considered that maybe, due to the Black Friday sales that LG & Sprint had an agreement with retailers to remove the phone from their Sprint.com during this week as to not take away from any Black Friday deals? Its a long shot but still a reasonable consideration as to why it is not available right now.

Meanwhile- are you really trying to make this a competition between the Transform Ultra and the Marquee?

No, I am not...but I can attach the links to the mulitple threads you have started comparing the two phones or the threads you have bashed the Marquee in

However, I must admit that I did find it kind of funny that you posted a link to that forum saying "there sure are a lot of them [problems] discussed here". How many posts do you really see of people complaining there?

plenty of them.
Screen Problems
Screen problems - Android Forums
screen sensitivity problems - Android Forums
Screen problems - Android Forums
Battery
How's your battery life? - Android Forums
Battery Life - Android Forums
Misc
Sound problems - Android Forums
Problem opening attachments - Android Forums
Bug discovered on Samsung Transform Ultra with more than one ID pack installed - Android Forums

Why can't we be friends?.

Honestly, because 99.9% of your posts annoy me. I can't find any posts in ANY of the LG Marquee forums that you contribute to (not just here but anywhere) that have really helped anyone. Instead, they are always filled with unconfirmed rumors or speculation & for the most part put out there to just promote/link people to your blog, website, youtube video etc.

If you feel that I am wrong then please reply with a post YOU have done yourself actually providing help to make this phone better. Again, I am not looking for a post where you claim for the 1000th time you think there is a problem with the LG Marquee (or any of your other rants about this phone) but actually a post from you that provided the community of LG Marquee owners a detailed, confirmed way make their phones better.

I can appreciate your interest in this phone. I truly feel that someone with your knowledge could be an asset to this phones overall improvement. Whether its with your contacts at Sprint, your blog, etc. it people like you that can really help make the difference.

If you really want to make this phone better, why have you have taken most of your time to actually steer people AWAY from the phone?? IMO, when you create posts, videos, blogs etc. telling people the cons, all it does is push more potential buyers away from the device. As you know, the LG MARQUEE is difficult to get any info about as it is (it is not in Sprint stores, as of today not available online, most Sprint reps can't answer basic questions about it etc.)

What I really don't understand is if you want to make this phone better, why would you contribute negatively & continuously post links that point out flaws for potential buyers & current owners of this phone to see??

Last edited:

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
Here is another possible reason:
Before it was available on Sprint.com, the LG Marquee phone was initially released & available at Radio Shack & Best Buy (btw, this is also the case w/ the Transform Ultra...available exclusively at Radio Shack before Sprint's official release). Has anyone considered that maybe, due to the Black Friday sales that LG & Sprint had an agreement with retailers to remove the phone from their Sprint.com during this week as to not take away from any Black Friday deals? Its a long shot but still a reasonable consideration as to why it is not available right now.

That's an interesting theory (Black Friday). I'll entertain it and hope that you're right, but it does admittedly seem like a long shot (I don't think they've ever done something like that before). Meanwhile, I don't recall the TP and TP2 disappearing from Sprint's online store and coming back before.

But by no means does that mean it didn't happen. I recall seeing it said "sold out" or out of inventory I think, but it was always there when I went to check prices on smartphones. At one point remember seeing the TP come back as a "pre owned" option after it reached its EOL. But maybe you are right and it did have lapses of appearances.

No, I am not...but I can attach the links to the mulitple threads you have started comparing the two phones or the threads you have bashed the Marquee in

They were threads in which the information was relevant. Someone was usually asking about advice for an upgrade, and many were probably unaware that another 3G low budget option existed (at least, not one that was worth entertaining). Quite a few of them thanked me afterwards for the advice. I stand behind that, and you aren't in a position to say that was wrong.

ROFL! Did you bother reading those threads?

The only problem that is for real there is the screen sensitivity one. That's real for many people, however don't seem to effect others. For the record, those threads are are all discussing the same problem, and don't forget that people complained about the screen responsiveness of the Marquee at first as well.

The battery isn't a "problem". You don't see any threads over there of people telling you to turn off background sync services or anything, yet some claim 22 hours out of the box. One of those threads is someone asking how the battery life is, another is someone who is new to sprint and likely didn't have signal (look at the responses- people saying battery isn't bad at all). I'd like to point out this post regarding the battery on the Marquee: http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...unsatisfied-my-new-marquee-2.html#post1348736

You're telling me battery isn't a problem for you. That's great news, but then don't point at some thread for another phone and say "but look, THEY have problems!". Someone might point back and say hypocrite. But no, not me. I don't call people names.

The others you link to are app errors. A swype bug that doesn't always play ticking sounds sound (had that on my Optimus S), and a Spring ID bug (are you really surprised they exist?). None of those appear to be specific to the Transform Ultra. And are pretty standard things to find in any device forum.

What I really don't understand is if you want to make this phone better, why would you contribute negatively & continuously post links that point out flaws for potential buyers & current owners of this phone to see??

Because that's not how this works. Would you rather deny that problems exist? I'm not here to take sides, fight for my team or create any kind of brand loyalty. I find problems, and try to find ways to fix them- even phones I don't own. I have engineering in my blood, and that's how I'm wired.
But my comments have been largely met by anger and denial by you. So much so that you have followed me around to multiple forums, and left me feeling like this a phone I can't recommend to others with any kind of confidence. If you'd like to change that, we can work together. Otherwise, I will continue to share my opinion because I believe it is a valid one.

Last edited:

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Dishe,
First of all, I have not "followed" you anywhere...I've been here, posting only in threads & forums related to the LG Marquee (a device I own). I have not denied anything...but I also didn't make up or embellish problems that simply are 1) not consistent with most/if not all users of the phone & 2) flood forums, threads & blogs with basic unconfirmed "he said, she said" information.

I didn't go into this purchase with higher expectations that what I knew the phone was capable of. For the most part, my posts have been geared to help others that either were considering purchasing or that had questions about the LG Marquee. Again, since unlike you, I actually OWN this phone (2 of them). I very clearly & successfully provided others with my own overall positive experiences.

I would never come to an LG Marquee thread (or any thread) to read about another phone. If I want to read about the (insert any phone here), I would go to that phones specific forum. I don't need (or want) you pointing out another phone in almost every one of your posts in the Marquee forums. For the most part in every Marquee forum, your posts are off topic with links to either another phone, YOUR videos, YOUR blogs, & YOUR wealth of unconfirmed information. Sorry, but for me it is really aggravating.

btw...Im still waiting for your reply with a link YOU have done yourself actually providing the help to actually make this phone better &/or fix the "problems" you think the LG Marquee has. Again, I am not looking for a post where you claim or point out others problems/issues with the phone (or any of your other rants about this phone) but actually a post from you providing the community of LG Marquee owners a detailed, confirmed way make their phones better.

tcaudill01

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
For the Love of GOD...... you two stop it. This is going nowhere and it is not accomplishing anything.
Dishe...... stop ragging on this thing and put those engineering skills to work. I need help trying to unscramble this thing so we, as a group, can make some improvements.
Nosajsam....... back off and give him a chance to do something positive.

Now.... for what I know of the situation. I too have some contacts that work for sprint and they are a notch or two above the help desk, read from the script level. They (more than one source) have read a memo from LG to Sprint saying that there is a supply issue and that phones are un-available at this time. There is no explaination of what the issue is. Sprint won't sell what it can't ship.

As for the comment about there being no technical service for this phone from a Sprint store, that part is true. They only have the LG Mobile Support Tools that you and I can download from the LG web site. My contacts say that any service or technical issues they have with the phone are refered directly to LG.

So what does all this mean? Who knows.

We have a good phone that would have been considered great if it would have been released here when it's twin, the Opti Black, was released to the rest of the world.
What we now have is a good phone hardware wise that offers a lot for the money and has tons of potential. I just don't know if it's going to stay around long enough or ever get enough user base to go anywhere. Releasing it only a couple of days prior to the iPhone was marketing suicide and then not pushing/stocking it in your own stores makes no sense to me.

Last but not least, some props to dishe for his assesment of the GB version we have on our phones. The implementation we have is not very good and LG has left me scratching my head more than once as I try to understand why they did thing the way they did.
This leads me to wonder if the "supply issue" has anything to do with the GB release coming for the Black and if maybe there was some issues corrected that are being applied to the Marquee. I only hope!

Reactions: dishe

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
The implementation we have is not very good and LG has left me scratching my head more than once as I try to understand why they did thing the way they did.

Do you feel this way because of being unable to create the successful recovery or because of the overall performance of the phone (or both)??

dishe

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
As for the comment about there being no technical service for this phone from a Sprint store, that part is true. They only have the LG Mobile Support Tools that you and I can download from the LG web site.

Last but not least, some props to dishe for his assesment of the GB version we have on our phones. The implementation we have is not very good and LG has left me scratching my head more than once as I try to understand why they did thing the way they did.
This leads me to wonder if the "supply issue" has anything to do with the GB release coming for the Black and if maybe there was some issues corrected that are being applied to the Marquee. I only hope!

Thanks for recognizing and sharing some of my concerns, tcaudill01. I honestly would have loved to have been proven wrong in this case, but it made too much sense based on what I've seen before.

Meanwhile, I actually may be able to get my hands on a Marquee without giving up my upgrade credit, which means I can experiment a bit more. I'll keep you posted.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34