OTA Sprint security update

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I also received a notification on my Sprint LG Marquee with the following message "System update available", but it gave me a choice to install later.

I am rooted & have CWM installed. The zip is in my cache folder but I can't seem to get the update to work.

When I go into about phone/system updates/update LG software it says my system is up to date but it is still showing version LS855ZV9

Any ideas??

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
goducks3620 & KMfiremedic111,
did either one of you have cwm installed??
if so, was your backup still there & were you able to load it back onto your phone after the update??

goducks3620

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately I did not. I wasn't planning on installing another ROM until they were a bit more developed, so I had not bothered with a backup program. Whoops.

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Here is what happened to me...

To start, I have procrastinated w/ installing CWM but my phone IS rooted. I did not have playfulgod rom installed. Running stock (Sprint)
I don't know if it makes much of a difference but I rooted back in October using the One Click Root method found HERE

I woke up this a.m. to see the update notification but it gave me a choice to install later. So, I immediately installed CWM & performed a backup. Then I installed OTA Rootkeeper & followed the directions from this thread HERE.

Rebooted my phone & to again see the update notification but I chose to install now. The phone rebooted, but in CWM screen. I rebooted, checked my software version (which still says LS855ZV9). Went to the System Update window, choose "Update LG Software" & it says I am up to date. Which I am not complaining because obviously my phone is still rooted & working correctly. The zip file LS855ZV9_VC_Inc.zip is still in the cache folder & I am no longer getting the notification that there is an update.

Last edited:

WeKilledKenedy

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, all I can say is that I'm sorry that ya all have been hurt by this *cough* update. You see, I made the mistake of buying a Marquee yesterday because, well, I'm tired of paying through the nose for Internet. Anyway, I would have thought that our G-men would have bugged my phone alone, not broken ICS/tethering for everyone owning one! so to the extent to which i'm responsible, I'm sorry for your hardship. Oh, and if you think this outlandish, all I can say is '...pay no attention to the man behind the curtain..."

Well, sorry again ya 'all. Best of luck finding a work around.

hoovhartid

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
CWM stands for Custom Recovery.

Close...

CWM actually stands for Clockwork Mod. Clockwork Mod is a type of Custom recovery designed by Koushik Dutta (Koush)
more info here;
ClockworkMod

The version of CWM being used on the Marquee was actually tweaked (by playfulgod) from the original programming in order to get it to work on this specific phone.
more info can be seen here;
http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-lg-marquee/159642-working-cwm-recovery-v5-0-2-8-a.html

OK. What is CWM ? I downloaded the update. I am not rooted. Am I screwed for the hotspots tethering?

CWM or any custom recovery for an android phone is similar to adding a custom bios to a computer. It tells your phone which operating system (rom) to boot up into.
When you get your phone it has a recovery program written into it. But this recovery will only allow you to load pre-approved roms (like ones from sprint) to the phone. By rewriting the recovery of the phone or loading a custom recovery, it allows you (among other things) to load custom roms (operating systems) onto your phone.

rooting is similar to logging into your computer as an administrator. when you bought your phone from sprint, they had the equivalent of parental controls locking you out of features on your phone. by rooting, you are logging in as an administrator with root access, or access to root commands. this allows you to download programs in the market place (like hotspot tether) that are otherwise blocked by sprint.

the latest update has stopped root access and blocked the ability to load a custom recovery :'(

and without root access you could be screwed for the hotspot tethering. Tethering is blocked by sprint because they want you to pay an extra $30 per month for it. If you pay, they will allow you to tether through a loophole they had created for this purpose.

other loopholes include programs like PDAnet or Easy Tether

These have great reviews, but with a new update you run the risk that sprint has found a way to block these apps as well.

nosajsam

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Potential good news here. Seems that forum member Asadullah has posted a update that not only applies the newest update, keeps Root & CWM. Can be found HERE

He notes that:
Just like a rom install the zip. One thing that you may notice that is a little different is that when the radio is being installed that it goes to the s/w upgrade screen. Don't freak out it happens and takes a few minutes don't try to stop it

Direct Download HERE

Last edited:

enzyme

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
I've never used KDZ before so didn't know if it worked because I got an error, then force close. Also some of the things mentioned in the README did not happen like the phone going into emergency mode and rebooting. This is what it looked like.

kdz.bmp.jpg

Is everything looking like it should be? Also the process created a CAB file of the same name as the .KDZ file. What am I to do with the CAB file? Also should I have selected CDMA or CDMA-smartphone(wm) rather than 3GQCT?

Last edited:

jojocat#AC

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
And wireless sharing/hotspot is now disabled, which did not require rooting before. Now I am a bit more POd.
I did the update and the launcher item to access the LG hidden menu data settings stopped working for me too.

I found, though, that I could create a new launcher item for activities->com.lge.hiddenmenu->LG Hidden Menu(.LGServiceHiddenMenu_Settings) to access the menu one level up and select "Data Settings" and then the DUN NAI setting. ICS then works as it did before the update.

I am rooted, but I don't think it matters in this case. I'm using ADW Launcher EX to create the Activity launcher item.

Reactions: goducks3620

maggie80

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I lost the ability to use Launcher Pro (and therefore access to wireless tether using the com.lg.hiddenmenu method) when I updated too. I was able to regain access to this by downloading Home Chooser Pro. It allows you to select Launcher Pro and will restore whatever settings you lost.

It's not a perfect fix, as the phone reverts back to Launcher after every phone call, but at least you still get the ability to tether when you need to. My LG Marquee is not (and has never been) rooted, but I don't think that matters. Hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy