As we suspected

Q-fugee

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
Well, we discussed the rumors of a Photon Q earlier:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-photon/186136-photon-q.html

And now it's moved from rumor to true.

As suspected, it's Motorola's implementation of the Qualcomm Krait reference platform, with the same innards as the HTC EVO LTE and Samsung Galaxy S 3, plus GSM. Expect similar benchmark results. Very different outards, though.

It's a real brick compared to the EVO and the Sammy. Someone needs to hand Motorola's prototype sculptors a piece of sandpaper, for crying out loud.

For all it's shortcomings, I'm still going to grab one and try it for 14 days. I'm really tired of having to grab a cheap GSM phone from an airport kiosk when I travel. Although, with the epoxied-in SIM card, if the rates aren't good I may still do the burn-this-SIM-in-the-bathroom-before-I-go-thru-customs shuffle for a while longer.

It's just a shame that Sprint/Motorola had two take the two small market segments of people who want a GSM radio + people who want a keyboard and combine them into one hefty slice of brick. I'd much rather have something like VZW's global Galaxy S3.

--Qfg

antheauxny

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't think it'll be a brick.
From the pictures it actually looks pretty sleek. It's looks a lot thinner than the original Epic,
which was a brick, lol.

Just my $.02.

Basis

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
It's 2012 and they're STILL using qHD? On to of that, only 8GB of internal storage and a 1780 mAh battery? Why can't Motorola get it right for once? It's no wonder everyone is flocking to Samsung.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
It's 2012 and they're STILL using qHD? On to of that, only 8GB of internal storage and a 1780 mAh battery? Why can't Motorola get it right for once? It's no wonder everyone is flocking to Samsung.

If they want signal issues, let them. I just don't wanna hear them cry. I'm picking the q up shortly after release.

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Never mind, it was linked in the article, from the official Motorola blog:

Motorola PHOTON

Motorola PHOTON™ Q 4G LTE will have an unlockable bootloader
JULY 26, 2012 : BY MOTOROLA
We know there are users out there who have been asking for an unlockable bootloader on their Motorola Mobility device. For quite some time now, we’ve been working closely with our carrier partners to find a way to make that possible — all while keeping the networks secure and protecting other users’ experiences. We’re excited to announce that Motorola PHOTON Q 4G LTE, just announced today and coming soon to Sprint’s fast 4G LTE network, will have an unlockable bootloader. We’ll share more details on how to take advantage of this feature closer to availability. And moving forward, we’ll be looking to offer this option on other devices as well.

rpankoe

Nov 26, 2010
Visit site
My guess is $249 or $299 for this, and if the screenshot from motorola is any indication (look at the date in the bubble on the photo), Thursday, August 16 2012 will be the release date..

DWR_31

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Just read the specs and even though this is what I'm looking for , it's not what I'm looking for.
I'll explain.
This is a regular Photon with a keyboard, on screen buttons, Sprint's 4G LTE (which is non-existant at this point), and no NFC. Basically this thing is last years tech with an upgraded radio for data that can't receive a signal yet.
My advice is to wait for something that's a little more future-proofed.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The appeal to me is the hardware keyboard. I would have preferred a portrait orientation, like the Pre or the Blackberry slider. But people with the Droid 4 seem to like the keyboard.

tirith

Resident Linux Fiend
Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
After using so many keyboard phones, I like the sideways keyboard...

G1, d3, evo shift...

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2

Kbrn

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Motorola-PHOTON-Q-4G-LTE-2.jpg

DonnaJ415

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know when the release date is???? MY Fianc?e s evo shift is almost beyond operational and he needs a physical keyboard.

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Post pics and why did you choose this phone? It's not going to be a big seller.

Sent from my PH44100 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech