[?] What steps are necessary fot a rooted phone to accept OTAs?

mattg67

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: [?] What steps are necessary fot a rooted phone to accept OTA

Yes if you lock and then unlock again it will wipe the device.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site

mttg1,
Thanks for that link, I knew I had seen it but couldn't find it again. Love xda, but can get confusing with Nexus directions (gsm vs cdma). Made that mistake once, bricked, so very careful where I tread there, luckily you can also learn to unbrick!!
Pushed the thanks button.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Re: Updates on 7/11/2011.....

Here's another question with regards to the update. How likely is it that Cyanogenmod will include it in one of their nightly updates?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site

Here's another question with regards to the update. How likely is it that Cyanogenmod will include it in one of their nightly updates?

I was under the impression from reading another thread that they'll pull out the radio update pretty quickly
and the other updates will make it in eventually. But i guess the correct answer is, they'll get it in there when they get it in there...

I was torn between going back to stock and waiting to take the update or sitting tight on cm7 w/ Matrix. I decided that staying on cm7 and waiting until they have a chance to pull the updates in is the best option for me. Stock is just way to slow to me anymore.

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Seriously, between CM7 and Netarchy there is no way I can ever go back to stock. I hope they pull the updates quickly and get them out in one of the next few nightlies.

The only delays I see with stock are when loading webpages. Everything else comes up the instant I click the app. What areas to you guys see slowness in?

bkrasso

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

For the Radio update, from what I have read and seen, you will see a way to flash the radio, just like you can the stock rom for rooted devices.

I am rooted running the stock google Rom with the netarchy kernel and I think all you would have to do is wipe the cache and dalvik cache, Flash the new Rooted Stock Rom from google, Flash the new Radio and might have to reflash the Netarchy Kernal. Something that might want to keep in mind is that you will prob have to wait until the Netarchy Kernel has been updated to run on the new Version of the Rom.

NegativeCreep

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site

The only delays I see with stock are when loading webpages. Everything else comes up the instant I click the app. What areas to you guys see slowness in?

CM7 is just a lot faster for me, loading apps, scrolling across screens, loading web pages. It's not that I'm seeing delays, it's just that CM7 puts things into overdrive.

jeffreynothing43

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
How to apply the update if rooted??

Hey all - just wondering what rooted users can do to apply the update, what the best course of action is etc? Anyone out there no what is next? Thanks in advance.

Bendroid55

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to apply the update if rooted??

You can either flash back to the stock rom and take the ota or you can wait for somebody to post the update online and side load it.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site

Return back to a complete stock setup which includes rom, recovery, and even locked bootloader.

--> Click xda-developers - View Single Post - [NS4G] Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images

Then download the update

--> Click http://android.clients.google.com/p...c0.signed-sojus-GRJ90-from-GRJ22.39fe4c59.zip

Follow instructions for applying the update

--> Click How to manually update your Nexus S to Android 2.3.3 | Android Central

Unlock using same process as before

--> Click http://forums.androidcentral.com/sp...61-how-unlock-install-su-custom-recovery.html

Round trip took about 10(ish) minutes because i downloaded everything and had it all ready to go.