I'm about to get my nexus. Can I root without using a custom recovery or rom? I just need root to run a couple apps. That's it.
    07-14-2011 02:47 PM
    Yes you can, that's exactly what I did. I wanted to use two, Roam Control in particular, our vacation home is on a terrible Sprint area so I force Roam on weekends.

Just unlock, push Superuser to your phone and the crespo4g recovery, not the rooted rom. So mine is stock if laid side by side to another, but have full root access just in case.

And this is the first time I have ever kept a phone stock, it is so smooth and fast, there is no need for the roms I always used, and had to maintain and put up with little bugs, just to have better battery life.

Or at least that is my opinion
    07-14-2011 02:54 PM
    Yes you can, that's exactly what I did. I wanted to use two, Roam Control in particular, our vacation home is on a terrible Sprint area so I force Roam on weekends.

Just unlock, push Superuser to your phone and the crespo4g recovery, not the rooted rom. So mine is stock if laid side by side to another, but have full root access just in case.

And this is the first time I have ever kept a phone stock, it is so smooth and fast, there is no need for the roms I always used, and had to maintain and put up with little bugs, just to have better battery life.

Or at least that is my opinion
    Yeah I just went back to stock.......I've been running ROM's and Kernels since the phone came out....forgot how smooth and stable stock is
    I do believe you still need the custom recovery. Once you flash superuser in recovery, you can then push the stock recovery back to the phone. You almost wanna keep the custom recovery tho. you never know when you might need to flash something. Its quicker and simpler then pushing adb commands.
    07-14-2011 02:58 PM
    Do you have a guide or tutorial?
    07-14-2011 03:01 PM
    Do you have a guide or tutorial?
    Here's the link
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-recovery.html

Are u familiar with the android sdk tools and adb?
    07-14-2011 03:10 PM
    These are the links to install the android sdk tools and java.

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer - java

Android SDK | Android Developers - android sdk...download the recommended one for windows.

Installing these can be pretty confusing ....any questions just ask I'm sure nmoreman and myself will be glad to help
    07-14-2011 03:16 PM
    Here's the link
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-recovery.html

Are u familiar with the android sdk tools and adb?
    No I'm not. I'm coming from an EVO 4G.
    07-14-2011 03:36 PM
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh .......so you probably used unrevoked hunh? This is nothing like that

First thing you want to do is download java, then the android sdk...links above

Only after java is installed, run the setup of the android sdk tools you downloaded. When you get to this step let me know
    you'll be prompted to choose an install location for the files. For simplicity, delete whats highlighted and create a folder called android on your C: drive
    should look like this C:\android then continue
    07-14-2011 03:42 PM
    Ohhhhhhhhhhh .......so you probably used unrevoked hunh? This is nothing like that

First thing you want to do is download java, then the android sdk...links above

Only after java is installed, run the setup of the android sdk tools you downloaded. When you get to this step let me know
    you'll be prompted to choose an install location for the files. For simplicity, delete whats highlighted and create a folder called android on your C: drive
    should look like this C:\android then continue
    Gotta go for a minute.....be back shortly.....this forum's members are pretty good about helping each other. I'm sure you'll get the help you need..if not we'll continue when i gat back.
    07-14-2011 03:59 PM
    Thanks for your help. I don't have the nexus yet. Its in the mail.

I already have java and sdk installed. I had to root my sons optimus V.
    07-14-2011 04:57 PM
    Thanks for your help. I don't have the nexus yet. Its in the mail.

I already have java and sdk installed. I had to root my sons optimus V.
    That was a pain wasn't it......my daughters have Optimus S's and it was a pain rooting those at first. These are the phones that opened up the world of rooting for me.

All you need to do then (if you haven't already) is install the 2.3.3 package in SDK and follow the instructions in the guide. I'm sure it'll be a cinch for you having rooted an optimus v.
    You're gonna love it. The Nexus S 4G kicks A$$.
    07-14-2011 05:14 PM
    Two tips that completely stopped me, then saw the light - be sure fastboot is in Platform Tools - I read and
    read, and some of the downloads had files moved. Crespo recovery should be there also.

Then all said open command prompt - wouldn't work, spent a lot of time reading. Found its not the normal command prompt. Maybe others knew this, but open Command Prompt from Platform Tools, hold Shirt and right click.
    These 2 "problems" along with after finally getting the drivers to load makes it a piece of cake.
    07-14-2011 11:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD