Now we know that when you download the new update that mobile hotspot will disappear, what root do you use so you can download one from the market? I have not rooted this phone yet and I don't want to do something bad when I decide to do it. I was able to root (kinda) my Palm Pre but it was not changing much. Thanks for you help.
    07-26-2011 12:47 PM
    To oversimplify it, rooting isn't really adding anything to the device, it's just opening it up.

You can root it and remain stock for all other intents and purposes.
    07-26-2011 12:52 PM
    will rooting make me able to use hotspots tethering or just cable to computer tethering?
    07-26-2011 01:18 PM
    wireless
    07-26-2011 01:25 PM
    Now we know that when you download the new update that mobile hotspot will disappear, what root do you use so you can download one from the market? I have not rooted this phone yet and I don't want to do something bad when I decide to do it. I was able to root (kinda) my Palm Pre but it was not changing much. Thanks for you help.
    Yes, you are thinking of it wrong.

Rooting doesnt really change any info on your phone. It will still look and feel exactly the same to you.

Once you are rooted, it allows you access to the important files that can now give you new features by flashing a ROM. Flashing a ROM like cyanogenMod will change the look and feel of your phone.

Being rooted will allow you to run more apps though. Like I am installing "wireless tether for root" from the Market. I havent tested it yet, so I dont want to give you advice on it. Hopefully someone that has already used a few can tell us which is the best one.

One of the best things is now that I am rooted, I can do a full backup of my phone and all of the apps. So when I wipe my phone clean, I can reinstall everything back the way it was. Kind of like save/restore was on the Palm Pre. I saw you asked about backups a while back. I still havent found a good one for non-rooted devices. Titanium backup seems to be the best for rooted phones. Also, when you root the phone, it will put Clockword Orange recovery on your phone. Look up how to make a Nandroid backup as this is also a great backup. I honestly havent figured out what is different between a Nandroid (via Clockwork orange) and the titanium backup so I did both just in case. Titanium backup seems very similar to save/restore, as it backs up application data. Nandroid seems more like it backs up the user settings on Android.

Another thing I will be doing is reseting my battery stats. Over time, the battery stats cause the battery to hold less charge. By resetting them, some people claim that you can refresh your battery. I will be trying it tonight. This is done in clockwork orange.

by the way. Once you are rooted, you get to clockworkorange by turning off the phone, then hold up volume button and and power button. It should load right into clockworkorange.

I used the one-click root method by Shabypenguin. IT is in the hack, root, etc subforum here. I had a few small issues getting it to run properly, but once I figure them out it was a great tool.

Good Luck.
    maryinredding likes this.
    07-26-2011 03:49 PM
    I use MobileGo to completely back up my unrooted phone. It works great. I will look for all the stuff you suggested once I HAVE to update my phone. For now, it will stay the way it is. Thanks for your information.
    07-26-2011 04:19 PM
    Certain kernels keep hotspot >> AC Link
    07-26-2011 05:20 PM
    Certain kernels keep hotspot >> AC Link
    Yeah that's what I thought but I can't find one that does.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    07-29-2011 05:53 PM
    Yeah that's what I thought but I can't find one that does.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    I rooted with shabby penguins root and loaded both of those kernels on my nexus. Wireless tether for root users works with both kernels from my previous post link.
    07-31-2011 10:58 PM
    I finally received the update screen but I have dismissed it for now. How long to do I have until it just downloads it without my permission?
    08-01-2011 12:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD