When do I need to wipe cache, etc.?

evilhugbear

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I've seen people say that when you flash a rom, you need to wipe cache or dalvik cache or something.

If I root my phone, and install the newest CM7 nightly, do I need to wipe cache? Do I need to do anything else?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
generally speaking you usually only need to wipe dalvik cache when hopping from nightly to nightly on cm7.
I believe all wiping the cache does is slow down your first boot and the first time you open an app. So wiping the cache won't result in anything being lost but i'm not sure it's necessary for nighties.

full data wipes (data & cache) are usually a good idea if you are changing roms or coming from stock.

at least that's been my experience. I had issues when cm7 bumped up to 2.3.5 so I did a full data wipe on that one.

The phone always seems to run better after a full wipe. might be just the placebo effect.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah i would wipe data, cache & dalvik in that case.

It's a pain to restore everything but if you use something like Titanium you can restore apps and their configuration pretty quickly. Just don't restore any system data.

Usually if you don't wipe data/cache and you should have the problem you'll see are bootloops. No big deal, just pop back into CWM and wipe and reboot and you'll be fine.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I just went from ASOP+Premium to cm7 and have Titanium. I did full wipe, 3 times, installed the new radio, and Matrix 5.5 kernel. When I rebooted, everything, and I do think I mean everything, came back
up. I have never had it so easy, had to do virtually nothing.

Its running great, so I would do full wipes including factory reset. Its better to have system running and look for things than try to figure out what is wrong to fix.

Never used cm7, so don't know if that is part of the plan, but it was painless.

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I installed the Oxygen ROM earlier today and have my phone tweaked the way I like it again. Just wondering if I want to try the Matr1x kernel, can I just:

1. install it from CWM, or

2. wipe cache or anything first, then install from CWM, or

3. is it best to back everything up, install Oxygen again and then install Matr1x before rebooting?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I would do a quick Nandroid backup just to be safe, sometimes you can have a bad flash out of nowhere and it would blow your whole setup and have to start over... Thats where a backup is handy ;)

Otherwise, normally when I flash kernels I don't wipe.. Just flash em.

Reactions: superblast

superblast

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
I would do a quick Nandroid backup just to be safe, sometimes you can have a bad flash out of nowhere and it would blow your whole setup and have to start over... Thats where a backup is handy ;)

Otherwise, normally when I flash kernels I don't wipe.. Just flash em.
Thanks for the quick reply and thorough advice!