This is for those exchange users out there. These are flashable zips that will allow you to sync with an exchange server without having a security policy forced on your phone. Yes, no more annoying password every time you wake up the phone.

1) Remove your current exchange email account from your phone.
    2) Disable your current screen password. Menu > Setting > Location & Security > Lock screen. Set to none
    3) Download the appropriate zip and place on the root of your sd card. The one labeled CM is for ROMs built from CM source. The one labeled stock ... you get it.
    4) Boot into custom recovery
    5) Flash
    6) Reboot
    7) Set email account back up but you'll notice this time you aren't forced to set a screen password

Feedback welcomed.

For DEVs: Feel free to use with your ROM with appropriate credit and link back please and thanks.
    epidenimus likes this.
    08-08-2011 07:22 PM
    so far, with all of the different email apk's that bypass this, i still every once in a while get a security error message when checking for new messages, including with this one. any ideas???
    08-09-2011 08:46 PM
    so far, with all of the different email apk's that bypass this, i still every once in a while get a security error message when checking for new messages, including with this one. any ideas???
    I noticed that too in testing but it was very infrequent. In a 2 week long test it happened twice and hitting the "refresh" button in email fixed it for a week each time. I do have 1 idea to fix it permanently but I probably won't have enough time in front of my computer to check it out until this weekend. Because it only happened twice in 2 weeks, i may need to test the fix for a week afterwords just to see if it's still happening

If you happen to have $10 sitting around theres an email app in the market capped Enhanced Email which is built off the stock email app but has many features added in which includes EAS bypass. I purchased this a while ago simply because when you first buy a phone a root exploit may not be available (meaning EAS is forced) so if i couldn't root my phone i could always fall back on EE so i can sync exchange without a password screen.

I'll let yah know if I'm able to figure it out.
    08-10-2011 08:45 AM
    well the weird thing is that this didn't happen on my optimus. I just installed an email.apk that i found, and the phone never once gave the security needs updating error. Mine happens about once a day, and a refresh doesn't seem to fix it. I have to exit the email client, force close it, then reopen it, and it's back to normal for a while. But...I do check my email about 10 times a day, so I might be triggering it more often than you are.

I've got the email.apk file that works with the optimus if you want to compare the 2. Also, i've got another email.apk that works for gingerbread that allows you to sync all emails, as the one for the optimus and the one you're using have a max sync of 1 month.
    08-10-2011 11:16 AM
    Try the zip attached.

Same rules as OP prior to installing. Delet account, remove password lock if you have one,blah blah blah
    08-10-2011 01:49 PM
    Try the zip attached.

Same rules as OP prior to installing. Delet account, remove password lock if you have one,blah blah blah
    file says cm? still try with stock rom?
    08-10-2011 10:19 PM
    file says cm? still try with stock rom?
    heh sorry about that. Once i get it all straightened out I'll make the file universal and just have the update script delete email.apk and emailgoogle.apk but for now I'll just keep them separate.
    08-11-2011 06:12 AM
    well, so far no good. when adding my exchange account, i keep getting the message "unable to open connection to server". also, noticed that the account color coding on the accounts list is gone with this version. not that the colors are a big deal or anything, just noticed it

EDIT: nevermind, seems as if my server might have been having a slight issue at the time I was trying to sign up. I finally got it to connect. Also, after setting up, it gave me the option to pick my own account colors, but I couldn't seem to get the sliders to move. Interesting...

EDIT again: Well, now account colors is working out too. So the only real oddity left is the fact that the refresh button is a play button. So far, I really love the features that this email client gives as far as account settings goes. I'll try it out through the day and see if I get anymore unable to connect messages.
    08-11-2011 11:28 AM
    well, so far no good. when adding my exchange account, i keep getting the message "unable to open connection to server". also, noticed that the account color coding on the accounts list is gone with this version. not that the colors are a big deal or anything, just noticed it

EDIT: nevermind, seems as if my server might have been having a slight issue at the time I was trying to sign up. I finally got it to connect. Also, after setting up, it gave me the option to pick my own account colors, but I couldn't seem to get the sliders to move. Interesting...

EDIT again: Well, now account colors is working out too. So the only real oddity left is the fact that the refresh button is a play button. So far, I really love the features that this email client gives as far as account settings goes. I'll try it out through the day and see if I get anymore unable to connect messages.
    Glad it's working keep me posted on if you have any issues connecting. Assuming it continues to work, and i find some free time, I'll edit the APK to call the correct image.
    08-11-2011 02:34 PM
    bah, email program is excellent, but i just got the error message again. tried hitting refresh, same error. force closed the email program, and it worked fine this time.
    08-11-2011 03:44 PM
    so, after doing some reading around the web, it appears that the error popping up might be a result of having the default check set to never, instead of push. I guess there's another line in the file somewhere that removes the security from a manual update. Any ideas if this is correct or not?
    08-12-2011 05:07 PM
    here is the file that is working properly on my optimus. All of the icons (i.e. refresh, accounts, etc.) are all correct, and when setting up the exchange account, I don't get a delay, or any type of notification about requiring security. It has never once given me the error that all of the other .apk's have given.

Maybe comparing this one to the latest one you posted will give an idea of what might be different, as this latest version of email you posted is awesome other than the occasional hiccup.
    08-12-2011 05:16 PM
    just found that by removing all other email.apk and emailgoogle.apk 's from /system/app, that I can install the above .apk to the phone, and the errors don't appear anymore. Now, the only issue i've got is the settings buttons not showing up properly (wrong icons).
    08-25-2011 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD