GPA17 ROM from Pete Alfonso.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I read the Android Central Review and decided to try this ROM. It's very fast and smooth and there don't seem to be many bugs. No reboots thus far. The app drawer moves very fast.

Has anyone one else tried it yet? The only thing I can't' find is the CPU Toolkit. I don't know where that is on the ROM.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
*Scales it down to 100MHz*

There, now it's like using a Blackberry.

PS just download a CPU tool from the Market. I'm using CPU MAster.

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
CPU Settings are in the top of the standard phone settings, above Wireless Settings.
You can config your governor, Min & Max CPU.

I wrote that review and since then GPA17 has become my day to day ROM. I really like it and while there are still a few features from CM7 I do miss, like music controls on the lock screen & swipe to dismiss notifications, i think the performance and stability makes not having those still worth it.

If you do download tools to tweak the CPU just make sure they'll work...and if you get SetCPU, do not use profiles. Supposedly they screw with the battery performance on the Nexus S. I haven't used it but most custom kernels recommend not using SetCPU profiles.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So for some reason, my CPU Control that come with GPA17 was not there so I just re-installed the ROM with clean wipe.

Now I have it and I'm curious how the battery life is after I do this. The first time I installed it, the battery life was amazing, after that ..it just went down hill so hopefully its good now.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
So after using the ROM since 6pm on a full charge, I have to say this ROM is awesome!!! I am at 50% so far on 17hr charge and looks like I'll probably end up going way pasted the 24 mark. You don't know how special that means to me when you consider that I bought 3 batteries for this nexus S and everything I try makes the battery only last 12 hours!

I would charge it and put it to sleep and the battery is at 50% when I wake up. Now, if I put it to sleep it only drains about 5%. I think it has to do with the CPU settings.

Right now, I have facebook, twitter, Google+, power controls, sticker notes, touchdown widget with push. I have trillian on all the time and I'm using pro player widget. I set the CPU controls to to 100mhz on sleep and 800mhz on full. I don't notice a difference at 800mhz.

So far my screen on time has been 1hr.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Is this the one I can ge from my Rom Manager? I want to try this rom, also dumb question but if I flash his rom will I automatically get the free terthering wifi hot spot feature back on 2.3.5?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he'll put it in ROM Manager until it's considered a stable release. That's just a guess though.

I'm not sure if the ROM has tethering enabled but I would imagine you can just apply the fix he's got in ROM Manager if tethering doesn't work.

jnl813

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I don't think he'll put it in ROM Manager until it's considered a stable release. That's just a guess though.

I'm not sure if the ROM has tethering enabled but I would imagine you can just apply the fix he's got in ROM Manager if tethering doesn't work.
I got it, i had to go on my Mac and download it from there. Its pretty fast so far, I went ahead and lowered it to 800mhz because people are saying battery life is way better, have not gone through a whole day but so far so good! I came from CM7 and for some reason on my NS4G the radios were still acting up on CM7, even after i flashed the 2.3.5 radio.

Does anyone know if theres a power drop drown widget i could flash on tis rom?

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
figures! right after i posted the bit about it not being in RM he goes and releases the 8/30 build which is in there :)
just upgraded and running great!

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I also was not able to find the cpu toolkit thing, the apk is there, and it cannot be installed when i try to but it is no where in my settings.

i think im going to stick with set cpu with no profiles/

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I also was not able to find the cpu toolkit thing, the apk is there, and it cannot be installed when i try to but it is no where in my settings.

i think im going to stick with set cpu with no profiles/

I haven't seen that at all. I'm on the latest 8/30 build and CPU Settings is the first at the top of the settings screen.
have you tried re-installing?

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Is it just me or did the Microbes and Nexus change a bit with this ROM? I seem to remember the background being simply black on these, and now with GPA17 there is a grey background 'behind' the live wallpaper....?

--edit--

:-! So, maybe I was wrong, I watched some videos and they all had grey in the background. I swear the backround of those two wallpapers were pure black...well, I guess I was wrong.

Awesome ROM from Pete. The guy at the Sprint store told me about it...:eek:

Last edited:

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
I haven't seen that at all. I'm on the latest 8/30 build and CPU Settings is the first at the top of the settings screen.
have you tried re-installing?

i have not tried reinstalling because i just finished setting everything back up lol
i guess ill just live with it and setcpu for the mean time.

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I would do a clean wipe. Just back it with backup pro (since its rooted) and you should be able to save everything. I didn't have the setCPU at first until i did a clean install (as recommended by peter).

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
You could try this to see if it works before wiping everything. Open the rom zip go into system/app pull ToolKit.apk
Then try
Code:
adb push Toolkit.apk /system/app
Then reboot,worth a shot before you wipe everything,if that doesn't work try pushing again but then
Code:
adb reboot recovery
in recovery wipe cache and dalvik reboot if it doesn't appear on top of settings then you'll have to full wipe.

invisibastard

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a variety of ROMs on this device. Oxygen, CM both stable and nightly, Deck, Matr1x and Netarchy. All in various combinations too, like Deck+Matr1x and so on. Nothing comes close to the speed, smoothness and battery life of this build. I have my CPU running at 1300 and I still have amazing battery life with heavy use.

Another interesting thing is when I've run Watchdog on the various ROMs I have a very low CPU idle--sometimes around 20%, generally hovering around 60%. With this rom I'm consistently at 90% idle. I don't know what Pete does, but it is magic.

Thanks to the AC author, I may never have found this ROM without his excellent review.

-rich

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I still keep coming back to GPA17 and it's kernel. No other ROM or ROM/kernel combo has been better. For me, it's the best balance of performance, stability and battery life.

There are still some small features I do miss from CM7, swipe to dismiss notification, music controls on the lock screen, and a few others. Nothing I can't live without though and if I was motivated to do so I'm sure I could add those features post install.

On a personal note, while the guys are CM do some phenomenal work and the ROM scene as a whole would be way different with out them, I do like these kinda of indie ROMs. It reminds me of my old DX days where all you had were single or small groups of dev's working on them.

Great work Pete!

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I would like to install this ROM on my GF's OG Droid. Just one question though. I don't see anything saying what the procedure is to do it?

Do I just need to put the phone into Recovery mode, and do an install update.zip (after wiping everything there is to wipe), or is there something else I need to be doing to get this accomplished? Thanks in advance everyone!

actionjackson22

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I would like to install this ROM on my GF's OG Droid. Just one question though. I don't see anything saying what the procedure is to do it?

Do I just need to put the phone into Recovery mode, and do an install update.zip (after wiping everything there is to wipe), or is there something else I need to be doing to get this accomplished? Thanks in advance everyone!

You need to wipe everything and go into recovery mode, and then scroll to install zip from sd card, then choose the download rom, (make sure you download the right file, as in not the nexus s one) and youll be all set.
Peter Alfonso: Download: GPA17 (Gingerbread Peter Alfonso) Android 2.3.5
scroll down to the "Sholes" download, thats for the OG droid.\

your gonna want to look at updating the baseband as well,
http://download.peteralfonso.com/sholes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junkie XL