OK, now that I've unlocked and flashed a ROM, it has gotten me curious to try out some different ROMs.

However, the one huge drawback for me is the time it takes to get everything reset back to the way I had it before, Launcher Pro most specifically. I didn't have a Titanium backup the first time, obviously because I hadn't yet rooted it. But I do have that app installed now, but have not backed anything up yet.

The one thing I noticed when I started up my flashed phone was that it immediately (after signing into my Google account) started downloading all of the applications I had previously downloaded.

So, for those of you that flash a lot of different ROMs, and I assume back up your settings beforehand, what is your process for restoring from your backup? Do you flash, reboot, then bypass the Google login and then download Titanium manually and restore from your backup? How do you get Titanium without logging into your google account?

Thanks for the help!
    08-26-2011 09:25 AM
    Yes you can by pass the Google restore and use Titanium Backup or MyBackup Root to restore your apps. Some people also use App Brain to retrieve their apps.

Launcher Pro has a backup feature if I remember correctly in the settings, you can backup your desktop (homescreen) and your launcher settings.

You question about by passing Google's auto restore, all you have to do is when you get to that prompt in the Google initial sign on is uncheck the box or skip it.... Also if you don't want Google to store your backup information you can go to Settings-Privacy and uncheck the Back up my data box.

Normally my average ROM swap from start to finish can be done in about 10-15 minutes tops.

1. Download ROM, place on sdcard storage.
    2. Make your current backups with MyBackup Root or Titanium ( I prefer MyBackup Root)
    3. Boot into CWM, wipe everything 3x and flash ROM.
    4. Boot up and go straight to Market and download MyBackup Root and then restore my Apps (apk's only) after that is done do a reboot. Then you can come back and restore data you may have saved from any of those same Apps (apks).
    5. Restore your settings on your 3rd party launcher if your using one.
    6. Enjoy!
    clindner and gtpimp97 like this.
    08-26-2011 09:55 AM
    So, the MyBackup Root looks to be a bit more user friendly.

When you back up the Applications and Media, should I backup the APKs and DATA in separate steps, or is it OK to back them both up together?

If you backup APKs + Data in a single step, can you then restore the APKs and Data in separate steps as you recommend?
    08-26-2011 12:06 PM
    Yes you can back them up together and then you can restore them separately. The main reason I say to restore them in two steps is to cut down on the chances of conflicts.
    08-26-2011 04:09 PM
    Great tips, thanks so much for taking the time to post!
    08-27-2011 02:18 PM
    That is what I'm here for
    08-27-2011 03:25 PM