Kernels! What do you use and why?

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Im currently running GPA17 rom and kernel that comes with it.

was thinking of jumping ship for another kernel.

list what you use and why?

hows your battery life?

my battery life is decent at best. usually its off the charger by 930am and its telling me it needs the charger by 4 pm. so nothing amazing.
no wifi use at all with those runs.

recently more kernels have popped up. updated.
here are the titles on XDA.
[KERNEL] Lucid Nexus, pre/post-2.3.3-voodoo-colors w/BLN, Voodoo Sound & ext4 opt
[KERNEL][ACS]*Matr1x* with BLN and voodoo v7.0
[KERNELS]VOODOO*Pre-2.3.3 color: Matr1x & 2.6.35.14 Bonus Kernel
and of course netarchy kernels.

post your results, CFS, BFS, are you overclocking or undervolting? or underclocking and undervolting?

thanks guys!

digitalslacker

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
I like matrix for the most part but I've found that with GPA17, the kernel that ships with it is your best bet. I have a few FC's after putting Matrix on GPA17.

Generally I'm a fan of BFS over CFS because they are supposedly snappier. Maybe it's the placebo effect but they see to be quicker than CFS to me.

For me a kernel needs BLN and Voodoo at this point. Battery life and performance are less of a concern for me but it does need to be quick and stable.

I haven't played too much with other kernels lately, might check out some of the new ones with GPA17 and see if things have changed.

m3grady2

May 8, 2011
Visit site
I use gpa17 and the kernel as well. and i really like it, battery life has been really good, usually off the charger at 7am and still at 40-50% when i put it back on the charger around 11pm. I was thinking about trying the oxygen rom with matrix kernel next, i've heard good things about it.

Last edited:

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Matrix seemed the fastest for me. Netarchy is good too but I don't need much more than Smatass, 1.4ghz, Voodoo, and BLN.

Right now I'm just stock CM7 kernel because the nightly seemed to be random rebooting ever 5 minutes with every kernel but stock. I have a backup of CM7 RC1 2.3.4 build that runs Matrix CFS perfect. Just don't use it cause it's a 2.3.4 and I get signal issues.

And then I have a stock backup with Netarchy CFS that runs smooth. (Don't remember why I didn't put matrix. Think I was having problems and netarchy was working so I stuck with it).

But either which way any working kernel with smartass 1.4ghz or higher and vooodoo is all I need. BLN is nice though.

actionjackson22

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Man thats pretty bad battery life...for GPA17.. did you just flash it? if not, try underclocking it to 800mhz. with gpa17 stick with stock. if you want to try a different kernel i use matrix so I could use the voodoo controls and change my display colors so my phone looks more crisp. as for CFS and BFS, Cfs is older and bfs is newer. Everyones experience with it is differeny, Bfs gave me more battery life. ROM wise, try oxygen and matrix.. its stock with but with theme chooser support and status bar widgets.!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Can we have the links please?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Sure thing.
Here's the trinity thread - [DER KERNEL] [gpl] NS+4G Trinity (E)UV and OC 2.6.35.14 CM7 + m(any) roms - xda-developers and the new trinity site http://www.derkernel.com/

I use the TEUV version. Which is underclocked to 880mhz, undervolted, and has a slightly overclocked bus/gpu. Along with all the latest mods and such. Very stable and VERY good battery life without sacrificing performance. Here's a direct link to the version i use http://morfic.euroskank.com/NS/TEUV-Any-NS+4G-08092011.zip

And the Lucid thread - [KERNEL] Lucid Nexus, pre/post-2.3.3-voodoo-colors w/ BLN, Voodoo Sound & ext4 opt. - xda-developers this is a 1ghz, stock clock bus/gpu kernel with all the newest mods and goodies. The bonus of this kernel is it uses pre-2.3.3 colors which are the nicest colors ive ever seen on a super amoled. Also gets good battery and great performance. Make sure to only use the blue versions of this kernel guys :p

I also use these two mods: [SCRIPT] Move dalvik-cache to /cache - xda-developers and [MOD][HOW TO] Graphics Performance BOOOST (Works For Nexus S) - xda-developers instructions and such are there for you too read.

I use all this with Jonathan Griggs' carbon 4G rom, but these will go well with the stock rooted 2.3.7 rom I know a lot of you are on too.

Enjoy :D

Shark_On_Land

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Sure thing.
Here's the trinity thread - [DER KERNEL] [gpl] NS+4G Trinity (E)UV and OC 2.6.35.14 CM7 + m(any) roms - xda-developers and the new trinity site http://www.derkernel.com/

I use the TEUV version. Which is underclocked to 880mhz, undervolted, and has a slightly overclocked bus/gpu. Along with all the latest mods and such. Very stable and VERY good battery life without sacrificing performance. Here's a direct link to the version i use http://morfic.euroskank.com/NS/TEUV-Any-NS+4G-08092011.zip

And the Lucid thread - [KERNEL] Lucid Nexus, pre/post-2.3.3-voodoo-colors w/ BLN, Voodoo Sound & ext4 opt. - xda-developers this is a 1ghz, stock clock bus/gpu kernel with all the newest mods and goodies. The bonus of this kernel is it uses pre-2.3.3 colors which are the nicest colors ive ever seen on a super amoled. Also gets good battery and great performance. Make sure to only use the blue versions of this kernel guys :p

I also use these two mods: [SCRIPT] Move dalvik-cache to /cache - xda-developers and [MOD][HOW TO] Graphics Performance BOOOST (Works For Nexus S) - xda-developers instructions and such are there for you too read.

I use all this with Jonathan Griggs' carbon 4G rom, but these will go well with the stock rooted 2.3.7 rom I know a lot of you are on too.

Enjoy :D

Wow Trinity makes it as smooth as gpa17. But too bad it doesn't like stock 2.3.7

Luicd is nice. Thanks.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gofuckyourselfandroid