I run Ubuntu Linux 11 and have the sdk with adb working. I had add the fastboot binary in to the sdk because fastboot was not in ANY part of the sdk. I can now open fastboot from terminal, but when I "./fastboot devices" nothing shows up.
    When I "./fastboot OEM unlock" it just says sharrching for devices...

I have the phone in fastboot mode, USB debugging on/off, using stock data cable,

Any help from yous guys experienced with Linux and the Android sdk?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    09-19-2011 01:37 AM
    try the one click root package.. its super easy and it unlocked for me in about a couple mins
    Root Sprint Nexus S 4G With A Single Click [Guide]
    09-19-2011 09:21 AM
    Have you considered using this method. I'm not familiar with Linux so I can't help much in that department but this thread should get you unlocked and rooted with CWM installed.

[APP][ACS] Nexus S One Click Root & Flashable CWM Update - xda-developers
    09-19-2011 09:21 AM
    try sudo ./fastboot oem unlock
    09-19-2011 10:36 AM
    try sudo ./fastboot oem unlock
    Hmm, I just installed Ubuntu 11 on an old iMac I had. I haven't used the Android stuff I've installed. However, I tested to make sure the apps were there and "working". I don't think it will go through without sudo in the first place. I could be wrong. I think I remember it saying denied or something without sudo.

I just installed SDK for ADB (Fastboot I also got else where). I tested ADB and Shell worked so I assumed everything was working; but, did not try fastboot to see. Just gave it a run to see if it was working in terminal.

If you didn't I guess try Sudo maybe I'm wrong. But I would like to know what happens here since I too will probably run into the same issue, possibly.
    09-19-2011 04:36 PM
    You must sudo to give it rights, but also i had trouble getting it to unlock on ubuntu and even windows. You must have everything EXACTLY right.

Move fastboot from platform_tools into tools, thats what did the trick for me.
    09-19-2011 04:44 PM
    You must sudo to give it rights, but also i had trouble getting it to unlock on ubuntu and even windows. You must have everything EXACTLY right.

That's weird. On my Windows machine I just downloaded an ADB and Fastboot in a zip file from some website. Didn't have SDK. Just threw them in a folder I labeled "root" and it worked fine for me.
    09-19-2011 04:56 PM

I tried both folders. I haven't tried sudo yet. But ill try that. I followed ksmithinys directions but I'm starting to think it was based for windows.

I still don't get why the fastboot binary was not in the sdk?

If all else fails ill have to set up a windows dual boot. -____-

Thanks for the help guys, ill keep you posted.

09-19-2011 08:43 PM
    Fastboot is in the sdk..
    09-20-2011 01:56 AM
    Yes! You guys we're right I was missing the sudo command. Thanks alot

09-22-2011 10:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD