I have seen a bunch of people asking how to update and keep root.

Well here is how (the way I do it):

Download ROM Manager.
    Open Rom Manager.
    Make Sure You are on most current ClockworkMod Recovery.
    Download Rom.
    Peter Alfonso
    Install the Deodexed "Stock Rooted GWK74".
    Wipe Dalvik. Backup Current.
    Do Not Have To Wipe Data and Cache, but it is recommended (use Titanium Backup to backup Apps- Copy Titanium Backup Folder to Computer off of phone To be Safe, and then bring back over when you have it reinstalled- If you were running the Stock Software, you should be fine. That is only usually done when running a custom ROM).
    Once it reboots, Open ROM Manager.
    Download Rom.
    Peter Alfonso.
    D720SPRKE1.
    Wipe Dalvik. Dont Backup. Dont Wipe Data.
    After that you are done.
    You may want to install Peter Alfonso's Tethering Fix for Tether.
    You will have to reset up your homescreens unless you were running a custom homescreen launcher like Launcher Pro or ADW.

If your phone has a lot of Force Closes then you need to Restore Backup using Rom manager, and then make sure you have GRJ90 baseband installed, if not reinstall. Then use Titanium backup to backup all your user apps. Copy Titanium Folder from phone to computer. Do my earlier steps, but when installed GWk74, do wipe data and cache. You will use titanium to get apps back after you install it and bring that folder back over from computer.

Welcome.
    gtpimp97 and charn65 like this.
    09-21-2011 09:45 PM
    I don't think you need to install D720SPRKE1 if you are installed one of the two 2.3.7 builds from Peter. The radio should already be included because they are the OTA updates

He only included those in RM for those that are running something other than stock and want the install the radio by its self, especially in this case because kernel.org is down and other custom ROM dev's aren't really updating their stuff until it's back up. If you are itching for the radio but don't want to go back to leave your custom ROM then you can install that. I put it on GPA17 since Peter won't be including it in any updates until kernel.org or back up.

I'm not sure if the tethering fix works on 2.3.7 though but he could have very well updated it. It can't hurt to install that one.

Good write up!
    09-22-2011 07:39 AM
    I don't think you need to install D720SPRKE1 if you are installed one of the two 2.3.7 builds from Peter. The radio should already be included because they are the OTA updates

He only included those in RM for those that are running something other than stock and want the install the radio by its self, especially in this case because kernel.org is down and other custom ROM dev's aren't really updating their stuff until it's back up. If you are itching for the radio but don't want to go back to leave your custom ROM then you can install that. I put it on GPA17 since Peter won't be including it in any updates until kernel.org or back up.

I'm not sure if the tethering fix works on 2.3.7 though but he could have very well updated it. It can't hurt to install that one.

Good write up!
    I first thought I didn't need to install the baseband, but after I flashed the stock rooted rom, it said I still had the old baseband.

Tethering worked for me after installing that fix, did not before.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    09-22-2011 10:00 AM
    I can confirm that the tethering fix works on 2.3.7.
    09-22-2011 10:00 AM
    Hmm i checked after updating and i had the new one... They are numbered so similar though I could have been mistaken.

09-22-2011 10:59 AM
    Confirming radio D720SPRKE5 installed after updating.
    09-22-2011 10:14 PM
    Is Google wallet in here with the free $10?

09-22-2011 10:29 PM
    I tried this multiple times tonight and every time it fails on reboot. The file downloaded is a 5 charachter file name with no .zip or any kind of extension. It is not working in ROM Manager at all for me.

Any ideas?
    09-22-2011 11:03 PM
    Is Google wallet in here with the free $10?

Yes.

I tried this multiple times tonight and every time it fails on reboot. The file downloaded is a 5 charachter file name with no .zip or any kind of extension. It is not working in ROM Manager at all for me.

Any ideas?
    Um. You could find those files from Peter Alfonso elsewhere and install within Clockwork Recovery Mod. Just avoid ROM manager altogether.

Do you know how to do that?

09-23-2011 12:12 AM
    You can find those files here.

http://download.peteralfonso.com/crespo4g

Remember to wipe dalvik and backup current rom before you do anything.

09-23-2011 12:14 AM
    Confirming radio D720SPRKE5 installed after updating.
    Just installed Peter's 2.37 update and it went well. I now show having radio D720SPRKE5, Do I need to install D720SPRKE1 or is this the correct one?

Thanks!
    Surferboy
    09-24-2011 01:11 PM
    Just installed Peter's 2.37 update and it went well. I now show having radio D720SPRKE5, Do I need to install D720SPRKE1 or is this the correct one?

Thanks!
    Surferboy
    You want d720sprke1

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk
    surferboy likes this.
    09-24-2011 03:05 PM
    Help!

I tried the instructions written here to put the deoxedized rom from the PA ROM, Oxygen Rom AND from install from USB....but each time when I go to Wireless settings...there is NOTHING for NFC settings. When I put a different rom, it shows the NFC settings. What am I doing wrong?
    09-24-2011 07:46 PM
    You want d720sprke1

Sent from my A70S using Tapatalk
    I've found that the d720sprke1 seems to pull more bars but the new radio seems to be faster.
    Crazy trade off huh?

09-25-2011 03:58 AM
    Help!

I tried the instructions written here to put the deoxedized rom from the PA ROM, Oxygen Rom AND from install from USB....but each time when I go to Wireless settings...there is NOTHING for NFC settings. When I put a different rom, it shows the NFC settings. What am I doing wrong?
    Are you referring to Google Wallet? I am not sure I know what you are talking about? Can you explain further? The only settings you would see in wireless settings for NFC would be a checkbox to turn NFC on or Off.

Only 2.3.7 Roms will have Google Wallet. I don't believe Oxygen is on 2.3.7 yet.
    09-25-2011 12:22 PM
    **Update** I simply downloaded the update.zip from xda, rebooted into recovery, installed the update from SD card and I am now running 2.3.7 with no problems, and I didn't lose any settings. It left my boot loader unlocked but took my root access away (which I can deal with just fine for now) Was is supposed to be able to happen that easily?** I'll make a new thread to share this experience.

So,

Ok, just to clarify, have the Stock Rom (currently on 2.3.5) with an unlocked bootloader and CWM 5.0.2.0 (updated using ROM manager).

I got the notice about the OTA 2.3.7 update and hit install - my phone rebooted but got stuck at the boot screen with triangle and exclamation point. I did a battery pull, and it then booted normally and I am still on 2.3.5.

So, I downloaded the 2.3.7 zip that xda provided. Now, my questions are.

1) Is there ANY way to simply install the OTA, or do I have to go through the steps listed in the OP?
    2) If I am willing to lose my root status, is there a way to install the update without wiping?
    3) To clarify, the OP tells us how to do the update if we are already rooted - and basically has us flashing a stock rom?

I am just looking for the most direct method with the most stuff left as it is - i didn't think it would be this much of a procedure as long as i was still on the stock rom while rooted.

Thanks a TON in advance - Also, I have read others with the same question(s), so this should help them when they come across this post as well....

Thanks,

Matt!
    09-25-2011 12:26 PM
    **Update** I simply downloaded the update.zip from xda, rebooted into recovery, installed the update from SD card and I am now running 2.3.7 with no problems, and I didn't lose any settings. It left my boot loader unlocked but took my root access away (which I can deal with just fine for now) Was is supposed to be able to happen that easily?** I'll make a new thread to share this experience.

So,

Ok, just to clarify, have the Stock Rom (currently on 2.3.5) with an unlocked bootloader and CWM 5.0.2.0 (updated using ROM manager).

I got the notice about the OTA 2.3.7 update and hit install - my phone rebooted but got stuck at the boot screen with triangle and exclamation point. I did a battery pull, and it then booted normally and I am still on 2.3.5.

So, I downloaded the 2.3.7 zip that xda provided. Now, my questions are.

1) Is there ANY way to simply install the OTA, or do I have to go through the steps listed in the OP?
    2) If I am willing to lose my root status, is there a way to install the update without wiping?
    3) To clarify, the OP tells us how to do the update if we are already rooted - and basically has us flashing a stock rom?

I am just looking for the most direct method with the most stuff left as it is - i didn't think it would be this much of a procedure as long as i was still on the stock rom while rooted.

Thanks a TON in advance - Also, I have read others with the same question(s), so this should help them when they come across this post as well....

Thanks,

Matt!
    If you are rooted and running stock you will not have to wipe. I have done this with multiple phones and know it to be true (two different Nexus S's on this update alone). My directions say you only have to wipe data if you are coming from a custom rom. With that said, it is always smart to backup things before you do anything. The backup rom feature from ROM manager is a great way to cover your a** (and will let you go back to where you were at if you restore the backup).

09-25-2011 03:23 PM