Was rooted with stock 2.3.5 and updated to 2.3.7 without wipe...

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hey all,

Ok, I was running Stock Rom 2.3.5 with CWM 5.0.2.0 (via ROM manager) and was rooted with an unlocked boot loader

I downloaded the 2.3.7 uodate,zip that is provided by XDA and can be found in various threads around here. I booted into recovery and updated via SD card and selected the update.zip file.

My phone sucessfully updated to 2.3.7 and everything works. The Bootloader is STILL unlocked. I did, however, lose root - which, i would trade off for not having to wipe at this point in time.

So, was it supposed to be this simple to update this way? From what i was reading, anyone who was rooted was losing all their data (via wipe) when this happened. Or am i missing something?

Also, since my Bootloader is still unlocked, would I be able to re-root without having to wipe? Or doesn't it work that way? I am usually pretty good at this stuff, but there just seems to be so many combinations and outcomes with all of the rooting, recovery options, updates, etc....

Thanks,

Matt!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: Was rooted with stock 2.3.5 and updated to 2.3.7 without wipe

Sounds like everything went very smooth for you. As far as regaining root access again that should be easily done via ADB without wipe on the device.

First do you still have CWM installed or did it get removed when updating? If you do then regaining root is simple as flashing SU in CWM.

Otherwise follow the instructions in the thread below... I don't see any reason why using this method would cause your device to be wiped as its only replacing stock recovery with CWM and then you flash SU in CWM once that step is finished.

[How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery

Use "Way #1" to regain SU once you have CWM recovery flashed to the device.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Paul,

Thanks for the info. A check says that my phone Is not rooted, yet super user is still installed. When I go to RECOVERY from the boot menu, it just reboots to a triangle exclamation point...so I am guessing I need to re install recovery, and I should be able to do that right from ROM manager again. Then I'll reinstall SU .

I'm on the elliptical now, so I'll do it after ;-)

Thanks!

Last edited:

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Hhmm...

I think i'm confused. My phone is unlocked, but I can't boot to recovery - the option is there, but it just takes me to an error icon when i boot to recovery. I understand that I need to put the newest SU.zip on the SD card and install from SD once in recovery , but I can't get there....

Oh wait, I think I need to root first again THEN install CWM again, THEN do SU again? I can only seem to find guides that start from the beginning with unlocking - I need to find the guide for "If your Nexus S 4g bootloader is already unlocked, here is what you do to root it." Lol...

Feeling a bit sheepish,

Matt!

Last edited:

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

grantheppes,

Thanks for the info. Yea, I wanted to avoid installing a different rom. I knew I would lose root. I am just looking to re-root now with the bootloader already being unlocked. Your guide is great, by the way!

BlackHawkA4

Drop the Bag
Sep 1, 2010
Visit site

I did this the other day just to do it. Also, to check out the update. And then I went back to CM7. This is what happened when you updated with the OTA: SU permissions changed; and, CWM Recovery was removed. You will need your computer for this:

Simply flash CWM again with Fastboot and relfash SU again with CWM and your good as new.

Reactions: KillerQ

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Unlocking your bootloader back up is just a matter of connecting via ADB and typing in "fastboot oem lock" and its locked up. Really to put CWM back into place you don't need to lock it back up.

The you can use the link I provided earlier to put CWM in place and then flash SU. All can be done in less than 10 minutes including downloading the 2 small files for CWM/unlocking and SU access.

KillerQ

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

Paul, and everyone else,

Thanks again for the help. I ended up taking a slightly different route to carry out the steps that you outline, but everything worked perfectly - and I'm rooted again... Here's what I did.

1) I like the simplicity of the fastboot/adb command prompt method, so i used that. In order to allow that methods, I placed the necessary files (from NEXUSROOTNEW.ZIP) in a root directory on my c: drive. I didn't know where else to find those files - can you advise?

2) I then placed the suggested recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img file in my root directory I created on c: drive.

3) I then put the signed_su-2.3.6-extra.zip on my SD portion of the phone.

4) After that, I put my phone in bootloader mode, connected to my PC, used a cmd prompt to drive to the root directory I created and simply typed: "fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img" That took all of about 2 seconds.

5) Then simply went into the, now functional, recovery mode of the bootloader on my phone, and told it to install .zip from SD - and pointed the phone to the new SU file listed above.

That's it - done! This avoided the SDK and Java SE stuff that seemed to be the alternative method.

I hope this makes sense and may help some -

Thanks again for everything,

Matt!

Reactions: cgb77

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
grantheppes,

Thanks for the info. Yea, I wanted to avoid installing a different rom. I knew I would lose root. I am just looking to re-root now with the bootloader already being unlocked. Your guide is great, by the way!

Thanks

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

No prob... Yes the SDK and Java is a bit over board. You could always just grab ADB or QuickADB and accomplish the same thing without all the SDK and Java involvement. Anyways glad your back on your feet and going again :)

5nowman

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site

I'm having the same issue that Killer did. Trying to run through his instructions and get this sorted out.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site

Just grab a 3.X.X version of CWM through ROM Manager.