I don't see much talk about this rom on here. I've tried Oxygen, and have been running CM7 nightlies for a while... so far MIUI is by far my favorite, I love the interface and it seems to run by far the smoothest. Definatley worth a try if you don't mind being without your 4g (which isn't a big deal for me because I usually connect to wifi every where)
    10-17-2011 03:53 PM
    MIUI is nice and I know there are plenty of folks out there that really like it.
    Personally, I'm all for GPA18, it's the fastest I have tried

I did a review of MIUI if you haven't read it. http://www.androidcentral.com/rom-re...iui-nexus-s-4g
    10-17-2011 04:01 PM
    I haven't tried GPA18 yet, have you done a review on that?

Your right it is kind of iOSish but, I don't consider that a bad thing at all. Only downside I see so far besides the 4g is no app drawer.... the themes and lockscreens are awesome.

Edit: Forgot to mention the way widgets are put on, don't like either lol.
    10-17-2011 04:20 PM
    Your right it is kind of iOSish but, I don't consider that a bad thing at all. Only downside I see so far besides the 4g is no app drawer.... the themes and lockscreens are awesome.

Too iphony. Widgets are put on like iPhone multitasks. And you can make a makeshift app draw by putting a folder called apps in your Dock.

Was actually not bad since you didn't have to scroll through all the other apps you already had on a home screen.

Its alright. Just wish it didn't look like iPhone. There are a lot of themes for it though and switching the launcher gets you your android feel back with the way Widgets work and tour app draw. It does have some cool features.
    10-17-2011 04:59 PM
    I've been using MIUI for a while. I like it a lot with a few caveats:

- I don't like the MIUI universal search at all. It doesn't find anything I'm looking for. I wish I could set it back to google search but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

- I wish I could customize which quick apps to put in the lockscreen. Instead you are reliant on the theme to pick which apps you can open quickly.

- My battery will only charge to 94% for some reason. Not sure what this is about.

- No 4g (not a big deal at all since I can't use it)

Otherwise, I think it's super slick and is faster than most of the other ROMS i've tried. Battery life seems exceptional too. I don't mind not having an app drawer since I can put everything in folders on the home screen. Works just as well if not better for me.
    10-18-2011 07:17 AM

I did a review of GPA17, 18 is still in nightly.
    http://www.androidcentral.com/rom-re...nso-nexus-s-4g

This ROM is built for speed...It doesn't have much in the way of bells and whistles and there are a few features I do miss that are common in other custom ROMs.

Behind this one I'd rank Oxygen as the next fastest I have tried.
    10-18-2011 08:03 AM

- I don't like the MIUI universal search at all. It doesn't find anything I'm looking for. I wish I could set it back to google search but there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do this.

- I wish I could customize which quick apps to put in the lockscreen. Instead you are reliant on the theme to pick which apps you can open quickly.

- My battery will only charge to 94% for some reason. Not sure what this is about.

Otherwise, I think it's super slick and is faster than most of the other ROMS i've tried. Battery life seems exceptional too. I don't mind not having an app drawer since I can put everything in folders on the home screen. Works just as well if not better for me.
    There's a way to switch it back to Google Search. I don't know the exact way; but, it involves changing somethings in the rom around. There was a guide on xda that told you what to do. I'm sure you could find it if you did a quick search.

94% is probably right as it cuts off like the stock rom, no? Did you wipe battery stats on full off the wall charge?
    10-18-2011 10:10 AM
    Weird mine only goes to 96%
    10-19-2011 09:38 AM
    Brainmaster's MIUI ROM is now compatible with the NS4G. Check it out if you like MIUI, it's a HUGE improvement.
    kjaved373 likes this.
    10-23-2011 01:33 PM

I have the resolution to ur MIUI search (it has always been available). Go the the market, search for "Google search" and install. Then add the widget wherever you would like
    11-04-2011 08:00 PM
    Weird mine only goes to 96%
    That's actually not a problem and it's working as designed.
    Samsung doesn't charge to 100%, and then go to trickle charge like other phones
    instead they go to about 97% and then cut off charging completely, at like 94% I think it starts charging again.
    The theory is that this reduces wear on the battery over time and it'll last longer. Not longer as in better daily battery life, but longer as in after 2 years it's still holding a charge.

I'm not sure if it works but other Samsung phones also do that. A few custom kernels/roms disable it...
    11-05-2011 01:22 PM
    That's actually not a problem and it's working as designed.
    Samsung doesn't charge to 100%, and then go to trickle charge like other phones
    instead they go to about 97% and then cut off charging completely, at like 94% I think it starts charging again.
    The theory is that this reduces wear on the battery over time and it'll last longer. Not longer as in better daily battery life, but longer as in after 2 years it's still holding a charge.

I'm not sure if it works but other Samsung phones also do that. A few custom kernels/roms disable it...
    This is true. I have a custom kernel that happens to have the 100% charge "fix" but it doesn't change how much battery power you get, it just displays 100% instead of 9x% when the phone is done charging.

Sent from my Google Nexus S
    11-05-2011 01:26 PM
    the miuiuiui convo kind of died off huh? The 1.11.4 release came out for us which introduced 2.3.7 but it has its ups and downs:

- Redesigned the browser. The old browser home screen was my preferred setup. Not too keen on this new style
    - Ditched GenieWidget?!?!?! Easy fix: grabbed it from the previous build and tossed it back into /system, set the permissions, rebooted, it works fine.
    - New boot animation, which is fine, but they have a boot sound now!!!!! Easy fix: Use root explorer to mount /system as r/w and rename /system/media/bootaudio.mp3 to bootaudio.mp3.bak
    - MMS/SMS is finally fixed! No more pushing the 10/14 mms.apk into /system. Although i should mention the suggested phrases in the new working apk are still in Chinese.
    - Stock kernel now allows charging up to 99%

Thats really the only things that have struck me as obvious over the past 2 days it's been out. What are everyone elses thoughts?
    11-11-2011 11:10 AM
    If this is a ROM that Kevin uses, I must give it a try. I originally stopped using it around the time Google Wallet was being released. Now I've had my Google Wallet Fix and I'd like to try this ROM. I will try those adjustments you've mentioned. Thank you!
    11-12-2011 11:44 PM
    I've been running the latest version of MIUI as my daily now for a week and it's been great. It was a little disconcerting to turn my phone on and feel like I was looking at iOS. However, MIUI has a large database of themes that you can switch to on the fly and I've been running an ICS theme that looks amazing.

Overall the phone has been very fast and only takes a little bit of time to get used to adjusting the UI. It benches a 2600 in quadrant at any time without trying to coax a better score. Rarely, I do notice that it lags when pulling up a program, but its rare.

On a side note, the MIUI web browser looks like a modified Opera browser but its been very fast and I haven't missed Dolphin all that much.
    11-24-2011 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD