11-15-2011 09:48 PM
2,282 ... 5354555657 ...
tools
    That's weird I wouldn't think sim had anything to do with wifi. Not real sure what happening there but I'll have a look if you can pull a logcat.Easy way to do it would be to run the following

Code:
    adb logcat > logcat.txt
    attach the logcat.txt to your next post and ill have a look at it when i got a chance.

That's part of the trade off we have with being able to run ICS. This I haven't tried yet but if you get a root file explorer and delete maps from system/app it should install after that. You can also remove it in the command line with the following cmds
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb shell
    cd /system/app
    rm Maps.apk
    exit 
    adb reboot
    yess thank you. i put the txt file in a rar because it was too big to attach it as a txt file.
    many thanks.
    10-29-2011 05:35 PM
    Fully stable working port of IcedCoryStreater
    aka ICS
    Please excuse me, I've never flashed before. I bought a used Nexus S 4g to try out the ICS, but I'm not clear if I have to root the phone to install it. I would rather install it and NOT root the phone. Is this possible? Thanks
    10-29-2011 07:21 PM
    Please excuse me, I've never flashed before. I bought a used Nexus S 4g to try out the ICS, but I'm not clear if I have to root the phone to install it. I would rather install it and NOT root the phone. Is this possible? Thanks
    Any time you want to load any sort of non-stock ROM, your device has to be rooted. The good news is that the Nexus S is incredibly easy to root *and* UNroot, if you run into problems. Happy rooting! :-)

Sent on Ice Cream Sandwich from the future of Android
    10-29-2011 07:47 PM
    No, you need to be able to write the new OS over the old one. You also need to have a recovery image such as Clockworkmod, which requires root. Plus this port is rooted so you would have root anyway. So if you don't want root, don't flash this port on your phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    10-29-2011 07:48 PM
    No, you need to be able to write the new OS over the old one. You also need to have a recovery image such as Clockworkmod, which requires root. Plus this port is rooted so you would have root anyway. So if you don't want root, don't flash this port on your phone.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    Thanks to you both. Does the Clockworkmod come with the zip file or do I have to download it from somewhere else? And is the latest port ICS-dirty-alpha-3.2?
    10-29-2011 07:55 PM
    Thanks to you both. Does the Clockworkmod come with the zip file or do I have to download it from somewhere else? And is the latest port ICS-dirty-alpha-3.2?
    What zip? And yes.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G
    10-29-2011 08:07 PM
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...-recovery.html

quick and simple root method.

or a 1 click root: [APP][ACS] Nexus S One Click Root & Flashable CWM Update - xda-developers
    10-29-2011 08:10 PM
    You can just download the file from this thread to your phone or do it on your computer and move it to your sd card, just make sure you wipe dalvik cache and do a factory reset. And yes 3.2 is currently the latest update.
    10-29-2011 08:11 PM
    You can just download the file from this thread to your phone or do it on your computer and move it to your sd card, just make sure you wipe dalvik cache and do a factory reset. And yes 3.2 is currently the latest update.
    Thanks. I will try this following gbking77's YouTube videos and I see I can also unroot and return to stock easily using his videos as well. Wish me luck as this is my first venture into rooting a phone and installing a custom ROM. BTW, are you saying get the oneclick root zip from this thread or just download the ICS-dirty-alpha-3.2 and it will have it?
    10-29-2011 08:13 PM
    Thanks. I will try this following gbking77's YouTube videos and I see I can also unroot and return to stock easily using his videos as well. Wish me luck as this is my first venture into rooting a phone and installing a custom ROM. BTW, are you saying get the oneclick root zip from this thread or just download the ICS-dirty-alpha-3.2 and it will have it?
    Nope, you gotta flash it. I can help you out with that if you want, just PM me when you're ready.
    beezy likes this.
    10-29-2011 08:26 PM
    Nope, you gotta flash it. I can help you out with that if you want, just PM me when you're ready.
    Thanks. Where can I get the one-click root file?
    10-29-2011 08:29 PM
    10-29-2011 08:34 PM
    Got it! Thanks a bunch. Gonna get started with this root and flash. Wish me luck!
    10-29-2011 08:46 PM
    Got it! Thanks a bunch. Gonna get started with this root and flash. Wish me luck!
    Will be a piece of cake, don't worry about it. The Nexus S is a developer phone so it's easy to root.
    intheb0x likes this.
    10-29-2011 08:56 PM
    Day 2 on the ROM and I've been noticing some killer battery life...I've been using it mainly for calls and texts with occasional web browsing (usually i use tweetcaster the most on my phone but it won't load on ICS, im assuming its just not optimized yet, no biggie). Had it off the charger for 19 hours and I still had 51% battery! Stock 2.3.7 I'd be lucky to get half a day out of the thing.

Big ups to Beezy...looking forward to the next release

*crosses fingers for face unlock and panorama camera not lookin silly*

Also, to the guys having problems with their music...I've been streaming my music without any hiccups so I don't really know whats goin on there

And I def agree with not being able to go back to 2.3.7 or even CM 7.1 at this point...the ice cream sandwich is just too delicious, I'll deal with the minor bugs
    complete opposite here, battery life isnt great at all,
    phone gets really warm too.
    but i still dont wanna run anything else lol
    it is what it is
    Batting1000 likes this.
    10-29-2011 09:23 PM
    Will be a piece of cake, don't worry about it. The Nexus S is a developer phone so it's easy to root.
    I had never rooted before and needed help too. It's pretty simple once you get the tools and setup.
    10-29-2011 11:20 PM
    I've Been following this thread a while and haven't noticed mention to this (doesn't mean I didn't miss it) but has anyone else noticed that when you swipe away an open program it just comes right back?
    10-30-2011 12:16 AM
    im sorry but i cant take it any more any idea when next update is coming "flashaholic" sorry love this rom been daily since early morning day one cant go back to GB
    intheb0x, blacknet101 and beezy like this.
    10-30-2011 12:41 AM
    I've Been following this thread a while and haven't noticed mention to this (doesn't mean I didn't miss it) but has anyone else noticed that when you swipe away an open program it just comes right back?
    I have also noticed that.
    10-30-2011 01:36 AM
    I have also noticed that.
    agreed.
    same issue here.
    10-30-2011 01:55 AM
    I noticed what your talking about and should be taken care of next update. Fingers crossed that it is.lol

im sorry but i cant take it any more any idea when next update is coming "flashaholic" sorry love this rom been daily since early morning day one cant go back to GB
    I had to reply to this cause it made me laugh. I have turned back into a flashaholic too. Mainly cause I'm testing things,but I didn't get much time to day to focus on the ROM. It was the gf's birthday and I had to at least give a little attention today. As you see it's late night/early morning and I'm already back at the computer before I go to bed adjusting a few things. I won't say hey tomorrow I'll have aupdate but I'm/we're all working just as hard as we can to get another update together.
    Thanks
    10-30-2011 03:48 AM

Whew!... It was a piece of cake. I rooted (did a nandroid backup) and then installed the last ICS ported ROM without a hiccup! Not bad for my first time out. Thanks to everyone's guidance and the great videos on YouTube by gbking77.

This ROM is slick. I did notice that I can't use the Menu capacitor key on the home screen nor does any calendar app except the embedded calendar app see any data from my google calendar. Anyone having this issue or have I done something wrong?
    10-30-2011 07:22 AM
    Whew!... It was a piece of cake. I rooted (did a nandroid backup) and then installed the last ICS ported ROM without a hiccup! Not bad for my first time out. Thanks to everyone's guidance and the great videos on YouTube by gbking77.

This ROM is slick. I did notice that I can't use the Menu capacitor key on the home screen nor does any calendar app except the embedded calendar app see any data from my google calendar. Anyone having this issue or have I done something wrong?
    Nah that's just a few bugs. btw if you use go launcher or a non stock launcher from the market, you can use the menu button on those. Have fun
    10-30-2011 08:19 AM
    When the next update comes, do I have to reflash from scratch or can this ROM be updated like an "update.zip" file?
    10-30-2011 09:02 AM
    When the next update comes, do I have to reflash from scratch or can this ROM be updated like an "update.zip" file?
    Update.zip has nothing to do with ROMs as far as I know. It actually has to do with updating your phone to the latest version of software that it came with. You will have to use the Install from zip option to download a new version of a ROM and then choose the new version from your USB storage/SD card. Its always recommended to wipe when flashing a new ROM or an updated version of one.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    10-30-2011 09:37 AM
2,282 ... 5354555657 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD