[ROM] ICS SDK Port [WIP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

keebler021

Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Spot the differencesbetween the following 3 screens and the same screens on your device running the latest 3.6 version of this ROM ;)

screenshot2011110612284.png

device20111106123157.png

device20111106123219.png

Nice! Got the icons changed, I see :)

Sent on Ice Cream Sandwich from the future of Android

msaraiva

Oct 25, 2011
Visit site
hw acceleration/display will be hard to get using galaxy nexus dump as the system uses kernel 3.x and drivers from GB doesnt work. the kernel used on ns4g rom was built for ICS not GB and so was the drivers.

Even SW rendering isn't working, that's the problem. Just a white screen...from what we can gather, the choosen EGLConfig is not the correct one.

Did you get the kernel and drivers for the ns4g from a leak, then?

Btw, some drivers do work (sensors, gps). And obvisouly, we're using a kernel that's compatible with the drivers.

strafholm

May 28, 2011
Visit site
If anyone is interested, I will post a small tutorial later. :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Very much appreciated. Planning on trying out 3.6 I ran 3.2 for a couple days but can't live without 4g for too long. Still like to see the progress and play with it though. Thanks for all the work you guys are putting into this.

Batting1000

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Ok, here's the steps for changing the Downloads icon to Android 4.0 and fixing up the look of the Settings sections so they all have the right icons. Check back one page to see what I mean. To both of the following, you'll need the android sdk manager and tools with everything up to date and "SAMSUNG USB Driver for Mobile Phones" downloaded from the SDK manager. (Let me know if you can't find that, i'll help.) Back up your system, as always, then delete "DownloadProviderUI.apk" from your phone using a root file explorer. Reboot your phone. Continue on to the following steps:

Download icon:

When we finish, it will look like this:
iclauncherdownload.png

Step 1: Plug in your phone and turn on USB debugging by going to Settings > Developer options > USB debugging. Your Nexus S 4G must be running this ROM. I only tried this on the latest 3.6 release from yesterday.

Step 2: Browse to the "tools" folder in the program files. On Windows, go to (My) Computer > double clock the "C:" drive, go to Program Files, Android, android-sdk, tools, then finally double click ddms.bat. If that doesn't open up, right click it and click "Run as Administrator".

Step 3: Let it open up and when it does, you'll see a string of letters in numbers with a tiny image of a phone to the left of it. If you don't see this, make sure USB debugging is on. Click that, then click the Device menu at the top and choose File Explorer.

Step 4: Download the following file and put it on your desktop.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15668564/DownloadProviderUi.apk

Step 5: Go to system then app

Step 6: Click on any .apk in that folder, then choose the icon at the top left with a small phone with an arrow on it facing the right. Click it, then find the apk we downloaded in Step 4. Double click it click open if it doesn't automatically. "DownloadProviderUI.apk" will be added to the list of apks. Then, click that apk and choose the same icon we chose before, the one with the arrow facing the right.

Step 7: Go to your app drawer and check to see if Downloads has been added to it. Then icon should be the new downloads icon as see above. If not, reboot your phone, then check.

Changing the Settings app as see on the previous page:

Follow the same steps as above, including the steps in the paragraph at the top of this post first.

When you get to step 4, download the following file instead of the Downloads apk.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15668564/Settings.apk

Follow the same exact steps after step 4, except you'll be dealing with the Settings apk from above, instead of the Downloads apk.

If you need any help, please let me know via PM or here. :) Post letting me know how it worked out for you.

PS: I tried just deleting the original files then trying to install them by copying to system/app on my phone and it didn't work which is why I tried this.

Last edited:
Reactions: zeigan

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
What do you guys make of this? Sometimes it's in there as "Google Reader", other times just "Reader". I haven't tried to change the name or anything.

simon.ponder

Dec 3, 2010
Visit site
Worked for me, except after fixing the downloads, and still attached to the DDMS, I removed the settings.apk with root explorer, and then pushed the new settings.apk you posted.

Also, I had to set system as read/write before I was able to push anything to it. DDMS did not do it for me automatically.

Batting1000

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Worked for me, except after fixing the downloads, and still attached to the DDMS, I removed the settings.apk with root explorer, and then pushed the new settings.apk you posted.

Also, I had to set system as read/write before I was able to push anything to it. DDMS did not do it for me automatically.

Good to know. Enjoy :)

RMM1981

Banned
Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't see the point in this...
Changing how the download icon looks??? Settings icons??? What's the point???

Mmmm...ice cream....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz