I recently switched from my old evo to the ns4g. Stock I am getting good battery life. I've tried miui, nscollab, brainmasters and oxygen roms, with matrix netarchy and trinity (tuv and tuev) and got significantly worse battery on each. Any suggestions? Miui and brainmasters also gave too many force closes.
    11-10-2011 06:20 PM
    Did you reset you battery stats in CWM?
    11-10-2011 06:23 PM
    Yes after each new rom and kernel combo. Gave it 1-2 days each and was getting 6-8 hours between charges. On stock I get 12-16. Tried setcpu with smartassv2 governor 800mhz and ondemand 800mhz with 100/400 screen off.

Was running miui and tiamat 4.0.8 SBC on my old evo with excellent results (20+ hours). Wish I could manage that with the ns4g too. I know any aftermarket kernel should at least be better than stock.. I am no noob to root/rom/kernel.

Another question, does amonra support ns4g? I saw twrp has a nexus version but had trouble with it. I like more control in recovery.. any other options out there other than cwm?
    11-10-2011 07:50 PM
    Yes after each new rom and kernel combo. Gave it 1-2 days each and was getting 6-8 hours between charges. On stock I get 12-16. Tried setcpu with smartassv2 governor 800mhz and ondemand 800mhz with 100/400 screen off.

Was running miui and tiamat 4.0.8 SBC on my old evo with excellent results (20+ hours). Wish I could manage that with the ns4g too. I know any aftermarket kernel should at least be better than stock.. I am no noob to root/rom/kernel.

Another question, does amonra support ns4g? I saw twrp has a nexus version but had trouble with it. I like more control in recovery.. any other options out there other than cwm?
    Check out Francos kernel. Got 18 hours and 4 of those hours were screen on time

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    11-10-2011 08:01 PM
    Something has got to be wrong... I average easily in the 20 hr range now with the deep idle mod on kernels running at 100-880 Mhz.... Normal usage...

Also you normally have to give a kernel and ROM a good charge cycke or so to settle in for best judgement...

Another recommendation is flashing with as close to a full battery as possible...

That is what I was just getting with very light usage on TSM Pool Party Port running Matr1x v10

Oxygen ROM running Matr1x v9.0

So I know its possible....
    11-10-2011 08:03 PM
    I always flash at full charge on charger so I can wipe batt stats after install. Each rom/kernel combo got 2-3 full battery cycles before moving on to the next. I don't know what the issue is. Seems like Android System is eating up a lot of battery on a lot of roms I try. It's always 20%+ when it's 4-8% stock. Top of the list when I click Android System is always VPN which I don't run VPN at all and have double checked my settings each time to make sure it wasn't trying to connect to a VPN. Don't know what else to try...
    11-10-2011 10:20 PM
    I may try out Matrix Rom w/ matrix kernel this week some time. I've heard pretty good things there... Maybe that will do me better... Though, I almost feel like it's pointless right now and I should stick with my stock rom set up to my current liking until I get that wonderful update notification...
    11-10-2011 11:17 PM
    Also, I restored my nandroid of oxygen for a second to look things over a second time, and when I made the nandroid 'Android System' was 44% of battery consumption. >< WTF is all I could say to that one... Maybe I should just get the big bulky 3800 battery haha. I'd be content with 16 hours moderate/heavy (12hr moderate 4hr heavy) but would love to push the limit. I miss being able to screen off on my evo at 6am when I left for work and screen on at 3pm after work and still be at 98-99%. Maybe that's just not possible with the ns4g? I figured the ns4g would be better than the evo. Having the same size battery, smaller screen, etc I imagine it would have to be better.... I imagine wrong I guess?
    11-10-2011 11:22 PM
    Also, I restored my nandroid of oxygen for a second to look things over a second time, and when I made the nandroid 'Android System' was 44% of battery consumption. >< WTF is all I could say to that one... Maybe I should just get the big bulky 3800 battery haha. I'd be content with 16 hours moderate/heavy (12hr moderate 4hr heavy) but would love to push the limit. I miss being able to screen off on my evo at 6am when I left for work and screen on at 3pm after work and still be at 98-99%. Maybe that's just not possible with the ns4g? I figured the ns4g would be better than the evo. Having the same size battery, smaller screen, etc I imagine it would have to be better.... I imagine wrong I guess?
    I just don't see how that is possible with everything that is running in the background. Even when on airplane mode, I lose more than that over the same period.

When my NS4g is sitting in my holster and I use it lightly (read 20-30 emails, get a few texts and make a phone call or two, I have 50-60% battery after 14 hours of time off the plug.

Maybe you should just wipe everything, charge up to full, the flash to stock and start over...
    11-10-2011 11:33 PM
    Remove vpn?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
    11-11-2011 12:42 AM
    How would I go about removing it completely? Would it be an apk in /system/apps?
    11-11-2011 12:55 AM
    I just don't see how that is possible with everything that is running in the background. Even when on airplane mode, I lose more than that over the same period.

When my NS4g is sitting in my holster and I use it lightly (read 20-30 emails, get a few texts and make a phone call or two, I have 50-60% battery after 14 hours of time off the plug.

Maybe you should just wipe everything, charge up to full, the flash to stock and start over...
    Its pretty common for the evo world. Running SBC kernel gives true 100% and a screen off profile of 128/128 with sync off and v6 supercharger setting 8.
    11-11-2011 12:57 AM
    how do i permanently kill apps running in the background? that is what is killing my battery!
    11-11-2011 01:34 AM
    That's an easy answer. Uninstall them. Some apps can not be closed as they need processes running to work. Just like being on a PC, kill explorer.executive and you have no desktop, etc.
    11-11-2011 10:13 AM
    Profiles reduce battery life and you never evereverever set an screen off profile when using smarta** governor v1 or v2. That could be your issue.

Sent from my iPride 4G
    11-13-2011 02:09 PM
    I don't know what VPN is, but your governor could be it. I'm running CM71.0.1 with Matrix 10.5, 100/800 and using Lazy.
    I played with speeds, governors, used to keep it OC'd to 1200 but realized I could hardly tell the difference so slowed it down, tried OnDemand, then Lazy.
    I'm a normal user, and easily get 18 hours with 20-30% left each day.
    Check whatever VPN is, but play with the settings, and like mentioned above, let it run3 days to see what is happening (and also you will quit checking the stats which also uses juice!!)
    11-13-2011 07:24 PM
    I used the latest trinity kernel with the settings 1000MHz and 100MHz. It ran me over a day before I.charged it again. These are powerful phones. They are like cars you can't do 100MPH and expect 40MPG.
    11-13-2011 08:44 PM
    First of all, dont use setcpu profiles at all.

Walk me through the process when you flash a new rom/kernel and set up your stuff. Also to anyone thinking that a task killer will help you, please read http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...ps-tricks.html Task killers are not a help.

Using a kernel with deep idle and using the lazy governor, 24+ hours of battery is a norm. So there's something that needs to be fixed is all
    Paul627g likes this.
    11-13-2011 08:51 PM
    When I flash I wipe everything, factory reset, cache three times, dalvic cache three times, then go to mounts and wipe system, data, boot three times each. Flash the rom, wipe dalvic and cache, flash kernel, wipe battery stats, reboot to the new rom, reboot again.
    11-14-2011 10:42 AM
    When I flash I wipe everything, factory reset, cache three times, dalvic cache three times, then go to mounts and wipe system, data, boot three times each. Flash the rom, wipe dalvic and cache, flash kernel, wipe battery stats, reboot to the new rom, reboot again.
    Going into mounts and doing wipes is not necessary... Really you can get away with a single wipe on data/cache partition/dalvik cache but if you choose to do 3x thats fine...

Also try using morfic's dalvik wiper to make sure things are cleared out good whenever switching kernels...

Look about middle of the OP in this thread and you will see the download link for his dalvik wiper.

[DER KERNEL] [gpl] NS+4G Trinity (E)UV and OC 2.6.35.14 CM7 + m(any) roms - xda-developers
    11-14-2011 11:32 AM
    I just did the same thing (came from Evo to NS4G) and get fairly decent battery life (about 12 hours) but not like anyone else here is talking about. Hmmm.. gonna try some of these tips and see.

I know on the Evo, there was a bug in one of the radios that on certain evos (when combined with certain PRI and NV images) would cause high android system usage. You had to flash a different combination of the 3 to fix. I havent seen anything like this on the NS4g yet (actually, havent seen any radio images anywhere... which is kinda weird)
    11-14-2011 12:23 PM
    Yeah I was looking for a radio downgrade as well and couldn't find any. Every time I had battery issues with my evo that fixed it.
    11-14-2011 02:36 PM
    Never downgrade your radios. KE1 is the latest for the NS4G and that is what should be used, period.
    ip_freely likes this.
    11-14-2011 06:13 PM
    ...reboot to the new rom, reboot again.
    Why are you immediately rebooting after booting into the new ROM for the first time? (Just curious; never did this myself.)
    11-18-2011 08:36 PM
    Habit after using the evo so long. Darktremors a2sd would make things laggy until second reboot because it had to rebuild the dalvic cache on SD card and do zipalign.
    12-01-2011 04:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD