[ROM][WIP][ALPHA][NS4G] oICSv43 | AOSP 4.0.3 (ICS)

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
OK... vs 41 is an ICS rom I can run for a day. While it occasionally will lag it is not completely unusable like all the others. Let me explain what I have been complaining about.

Any entry I made on the screen be it a swipe or an icon touch ALWAYS took a full second or two to respond. For instance, if I tried to scroll through the app drawer. I would swipe the screen and then wait a full second and sometimes two before to drawer would even start to move. When it finally moved it would only move 2 lines of on the grid before pausing again for a good second before continuing.

Even more discouraging was tapatalk. I have it set up to show 50 posts per page. When I scrolled through the posts it would do the same thing as the app drawer. I would scroll and wait, scroll and wait.

With GB, I could flick my thumb down the screen and the post would roll smoothly down without ever pausing or showing any lag. This version, while not as smooth as GB, is much better than any previous versions of ICS I've tried.

While I still dislike how ICS looks, I also dislike how all android launchers look. So the looks are not as important as performance since I'm going to use a different launcher anyway.

Version 41 is working pretty well right now with launcher pro. So I will keep it on here for awhile to give it a chance.

See... I am willing to give it a chance. :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [ROM][WIP][ALPHA][NS4G] oICSv41 | AOSP 4.0.3 (ICS)

Skunk, for your info... Shane (Honeycomb Explosion theme) just moved over tonight from the Epic 4g to the NS4G.... So you will see more of his theming goodness in the near future...

Hope that brightens your day :)

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
OK... vs 41 is an ICS rom I can run for a day. While it occasionally will lag it is not completely unusable like all the others. Let me explain what I have been complaining about.

Any entry I made on the screen be it a swipe or an icon touch ALWAYS took a full second or two to respond. For instance, if I tried to scroll through the app drawer. I would swipe the screen and then wait a full second and sometimes two before to drawer would even start to move. When it finally moved it would only move 2 lines of on the grid before pausing again for a good second before continuing.

Even more discouraging was tapatalk. I have it set up to show 50 posts per page. When I scrolled through the posts it would do the same thing as the app drawer. I would scroll and wait, scroll and wait.

With GB, I could flick my thumb down the screen and the post would roll smoothly down without ever pausing or showing any lag. This version, while not as smooth as GB, is much better than any previous versions of ICS I've tried.

While I still dislike how ICS looks, I also dislike how all android launchers look. So the looks are not as important as performance since I'm going to use a different launcher anyway.

Version 41 is working pretty well right now with launcher pro. So I will keep it on here for awhile to give it a chance.

See... I am willing to give it a chance. :)

Wow, mine is very responsive and very quick. Smoother and faster than any GB ROMs I've run. Have you done full wipes before your installs?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Skunk, for your info... Shane (Honeycomb Explosion theme) just moved over tonight from the Epic 4g to the NS4G.... So you will see more of his theming goodness in the near future...

Hope that brightens your day :)

Now we're talking! I loved the blue theme he did on the epic. WOO! HOO!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Wow, mine is very responsive and very quick. Smoother and faster than any GB ROMs I've run. Have you done full wipes before your installs?

I'll tell you how bad it was before. My old epic running on eclair was smoother than any of the ICS ROMs i tried before version .41. That's no lie. To be completely honest with you, my rooted epic running gingerbread is still smoother than this rom on my nexus. But... This rom is giving me hope that better things are on the way.

Perhaps my disappoint with ICS stems from the fact i am very late to the rooting game. When i first rooted my epic, the development for the epic had already matured and most of the roms were already fully developed by the time I rooted my it.

This time I'm seeing it from the beginning and watching how things are improving in each version, which is pretty interesting.

Sooooo yes.... I am coming around but at the beginning it was difficult. Especially when reading all the positive things being said, when my experiences were so bad. I still think it's a butt ugly ui but that's what launchers are for.

With Shane coming over to nexus we will start seeing some really nice themes as well!

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

FYI, those interested Shane is Shane6374 of ACS.. Same group with Shabby Penguin, Dreamsforgotten , qbking77 and many others...

Shane is a very talented theme developer and will bring us some nice themes very soon.

Reactions: pitmasterme

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I'll tell you how bad it was before. My old epic running on eclair was smoother than any of the ICS ROMs i tried before version .41. That's no lie. To be completely honest with you, my rooted epic running gingerbread is still smoother than this rom on my nexus. But... This rom is giving me hope that better things are on the way.

Perhaps my disappoint with ICS stems from the fact i am very late to the rooting game. When i first rooted my epic, the development for the epic had already matured and most of the roms were already fully developed by the time I rooted my it.

This time I'm seeing it from the beginning and watching how things are improving in each version, which is pretty interesting.

Sooooo yes.... I am coming around but at the beginning it was difficult. Especially when reading all the positive things being said, when my experiences were so bad. I still think it's a butt ugly ui but that's what launchers are for.

With Shane coming over to nexus we will start seeing some really nice themes as well!

Wow, that stinks bro. Its been nothing but a top notch daily driver for me since version 13. Some phones just handle things differently. Any rogue apps?

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
No... It is working pretty well on v41. I can sick with this for a while. No issues and it's smooth as long as i don't go too fast. Still not as zippy as gb but a huge improvement over what it was.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
No... It is working pretty well on v41. I can sick with this for a while. No issues and it's smooth as long as i don't go too fast. Still not as zippy as gb but a huge improvement over what it was.

Hope it keeps getting better for you. I guess I've been really lucky with it.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
One other note about v41. The auto brightness seems a bit brighter than earlier versions.

Edit: i take that back. When i loaded this rom it wasn't on auto.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Giving this Rom a shot. Been waiting for an ICS rom with 4G. Titanium Backup is putting my apps back on my Nexus as I type. Will give an update in 24Hours. May be picky, I love stock rom with Matr1x Kernel.

Sent from my GT-P6210 using Tapatalk

After giving this a day I was ready to go back to stock, it was way too laggy. I then saw that version 41 came out, so I decided to give that a shot before I go back to stock.

I gotta admit that I am loving this, its much more stable and can actually be used as a daily driver.

I installed the Matr1x 12.5 kernel for ICS and I am super happy with my phone's performance. I am overclocking it to 1200 and the battery hasn't taken that big of a hit.

I usually underclock to 800 on stock which gives great battery life and performs perfectly fine, but I am willing to settle for some ICS lovin.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

One other note about v41. The auto brightness seems a bit brighter than earlier versions.

Edit: i take that back. When i loaded this rom it wasn't on auto.

Auto-Brightness is way too low.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I flashed this rom yesterday and am finally somewhat happy. But my 4g on this rom is completely broken. i have the 4g widget that came with the rom and one i got from the market.

When i use the widget that came with the rom it says i am connected but when i try to download anything nothing. It will not download. If i use the widget i got from the market it tells me there is no 4g capability on the phone.

I know it isn't a signal issue because when i go back to GB i have a strong 4g signal and get 4mb/sec download.

I Reflashed the rom and still have the issue. I am wondering if it could be the glados 2.1 kernel causing this issue.

Can anyone verify that their 4g actually works and actually can download something with the glados 2.1 kernel. Like i said, it shows it is connected and has a signal but it won't download.

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
I flashed this rom yesterday and am finally somewhat happy. But my 4g on this rom is completely broken. i have the 4g widget that came with the rom and one i got from the market.

When i use the widget that came with the rom it says i am connected but when i try to download anything nothing. It will not download. If i use the widget i got from the market it tells me there is no 4g capability on the phone.

I know it isn't a signal issue because when i go back to GB i have a strong 4g signal and get 4mb/sec download.

I Reflashed the rom and still have the issue. I am wondering if it could be the glados 2.1 kernel causing this issue.

Can anyone verify that their 4g actually works and actually can download something with the glados 2.1 kernel. Like i said, it shows it is connected and has a signal but it won't download.

From watching the XDA thread, 4G is working, but for some reason downloads aren't. You may want to check out the thread over there as there is a ton of info

Reactions: Skunkape60

crzycrkr

May 30, 2010
Visit site
Actually, it seems to be downloading in the stock browser that's the problem. Supposedly other browsers can download under 4G though.

Last edited:

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
425777ba-4551-ec44.jpg

V41 with glados 2.2 set at lazy 220/1100 didle ON. Only my first charge cycle since updating to 41/2.2 tho...and just under 3 hours of screen on time.

Just for anyone looking for ideas on how battery's running. Most of my usage is texting and tapatalk while at work.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Reactions: crzycrkr

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

Crashed, then got stuck at the bootloader. Had to wipe cache for it to actually boot. Been fine besides that.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
From watching the XDA thread, 4G is working, but for some reason downloads aren't. You may want to check out the thread over there as there is a ton of info

You are correct. The issue is the stock browser. Installed dolphin browser and the 4g downloads work fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781