Stuck. Need Suggestions

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I've been keeping up with the Ice Cream Sandwich ROM updates and have had no trouble updating all the way to the new version 41 released today. But today I also decided to try to flash the Glados kernal as well. Problems ever since.

I downloaded the file (twice) to the computer, transferred the .zip to the phone. Tried to install via Rom Manager. Rom Manager sees the file, but when I try to backup/install, I get an "error while backing up boot image" message with a prompt to restart the system. When I try to simply update it through recovery, the phone doesn't even see the .zip file unless it's hidden in a subfolder somewhere not named downloads.

I decided to flash an older version of the ROM from recovery, version 36. Flashed back fine, but still won't install the kernal, nor will it now let me flash back to v41. Same message. Error while backing up boot image. Also says there is 0 space free on the SD card, which is bogus. There's plenty of space on the card.

What next?

pitmasterme

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if this will truly help, but avoid rom manager .......go through your recovery to make back ups and flash new roms.......

Long days and pleasant nights............

dunivan

Feb 11, 2011
www.bryantdunivan.com
I think you need to install kernels through kernel manager or something like it since the kernel is not part of the rom - i've never used a custom kernel other than the tether fix.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've been keeping up with the Ice Cream Sandwich ROM updates and have had no trouble updating all the way to the new version 41 released today. But today I also decided to try to flash the Glados kernal as well. Problems ever since.

I downloaded the file (twice) to the computer, transferred the .zip to the phone. Tried to install via Rom Manager. Rom Manager sees the file, but when I try to backup/install, I get an "error while backing up boot image" message with a prompt to restart the system. When I try to simply update it through recovery, the phone doesn't even see the .zip file unless it's hidden in a subfolder somewhere not named downloads.

I decided to flash an older version of the ROM from recovery, version 36. Flashed back fine, but still won't install the kernal, nor will it now let me flash back to v41. Same message. Error while backing up boot image. Also says there is 0 space free on the SD card, which is bogus. There's plenty of space on the card.

What next?

Flash via CWM.
Wipe dalvik cache.
Find and use reset_nstools.zip (can be found in XDA forums)
Flash kernels.

Never found ROM Manager to be helpful.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
First thing i noticed is you are putting it in a folder. every thing you plan on flashing should be on the root of your sd card. Take the zip file out of the folders and cmw recovery should work fine. Never flash from within a folder.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Well no, I'm not putting it in a folder. I said the phone couldn't find the file unless it was in a folder somewhere. But Astro finds in on the root of the SD card, not in any folder. That's what's weird about it.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Flash via CWM.
Wipe dalvik cache.
Find and use reset_nstools.zip (can be found in XDA forums)
Flash kernels.

Never found ROM Manager to be helpful.

I'm trying to dowload the reset_nstools zip now, from the QR code on xda. doesn't seem to want to download. been at it for over 10 minutes now. I guess we'll see what happens.

w5cyc

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I was going to try to get things figured out today, but when the phone wouldn't let me take pictures today at lunch because it said there was no room on the SD card, I knew something just wasn't right. So I swallowed hard and just erased USB storage entirely, even though I probably had about 10 gig available space. After doing that, v41 flashed just fine and the kernal flashed just fine. Now it's just a matter of replacing all the old files and such. Battery life doesn't seem great, and certainly not better than the stock kernal, but then again I spent about two hours re-caching my Slacker stations without wifi, so I suspect that was a big part of today's drain. I'm sure it will get better tomorrow.