Pls help: need to install custom recovery so i can flash rom!

davidmagik

May 16, 2011
Visit site
pardon the ignorance. This is my first time rooting and i want to get it right. I unlocked my bootloader and gave myself superuser priveledges. yesterday

Anyway i just dowloaded the java and the android sdk, I subsequently updated it. I am following the instructions in the sticky from: "http://www.androidcentral.com/unlock-bootloader-and-install-su-and-cwm-nexus-s-4g-forums"

I am on the step where is says to:

"go into the Settings menu, then choose Applications > Development > USB Debugging. After you've done that, plug your phone into your computer and let it try to install all the drivers. It'll mostly succeed, but something will be missing. This is where PdaNet helps us out."

I installed pdanet on my windows pc because I saw it as a prerequisite instructions. I believe that it already installed necessary samsung drivers. My issue is that when I plugged my phone in to "let it try to install all drivers" I did not see that occur.

Is that normal? Am i safe to proceed in getting adb? Any help and insight is much

i want to flash dooderbut's 4.0.3 ics rom. and i am trying to install custom recovery so i can proceed with his instructions. as i said i have an unlocked bootloader and superuser privilidges.

pls help!!!!! i want to have ics goodness

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
Try running the commands to see if the computer sees the phone
Code:
adb devices
that shoulld give you the serial number of your phone. If not tell us the error your getting.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
pardon the ignorance. This is my first time rooting and i want to get it right. I unlocked my bootloader and gave myself superuser priveledges. yesterday

Anyway i just dowloaded the java and the android sdk, I subsequently updated it. I am following the instructions in the sticky from: "http://www.androidcentral.com/unlock-bootloader-and-install-su-and-cwm-nexus-s-4g-forums"

I am on the step where is says to:

"go into the Settings menu, then choose Applications > Development > USB Debugging. After you've done that, plug your phone into your computer and let it try to install all the drivers. It'll mostly succeed, but something will be missing. This is where PdaNet helps us out."

I installed pdanet on my windows pc because I saw it as a prerequisite instructions. I believe that it already installed necessary samsung drivers. My issue is that when I plugged my phone in to "let it try to install all drivers" I did not see that occur.

Is that normal? Am i safe to proceed in getting adb? Any help and insight is much

i want to flash dooderbut's 4.0.3 ics rom. and i am trying to install custom recovery so i can proceed with his instructions. as i said i have an unlocked bootloader and superuser privilidges.

pls help!!!!! i want to have ics goodness

Its real simple... Either its going to work or not after running PDAnet...

1. Shut down your phone.
2. Press and hold Volume Up and then Power.. This will boot you into the boot loader.
3. Connect you device via USB cable to your computer. If at this point PDAnet is popping up that it recognizes the device then you should be good to go/

4. Follow the instructions below to flash your CWM recovery.

-Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
-In CMD
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img

Afterwards select Recovery option from the bootloader and press Power and you should be booted into CWM.

davidmagik

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok I put my phone into bootloader and went to try it again.

I uninstalled pda net and reinstalled it (version 3.02 for 64 bit windows) while in fastboot mode. When going through the prompts, I ran into this error message:

"Android phone not detecte4d (error=103). Please wait for driver instalation to complete and make sure the android ADB driver is loaded without error in device manager."

I hit okay and the same message popped up again. So it hit cancel and it uninstalled pdanet. I am going to attempt to install it again. Any advice...

Thanks for the help btw, I really appreciate it.

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
You can go into the device manager on your computer and uninstall the drivers that have errors,install pda net again this time when you plug in your phone let it set for a second and see if pda installs the drivers again properly.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Did you go to the market and install pdanet on your phone as well. You must have it running on your phone and computer. I didn't see anything in your post where said you did.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

davidmagik

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I got my pdanet to recognize my phone

I tried to follow the instrucitons of Paul 627g in the post above:

1. Shut down your phone.
2. Press and hold Volume Up and then Power.. This will boot you into the boot loader.
3. Connect you device via USB cable to your computer. If at this point PDAnet is popping up that it recognizes the device then you should be good to go

4. Follow the instructions below to flash your CWM recovery.
-Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
-In CMD--
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img

Afterwards select Recovery option from the bootloader and press Power and you should be booted into CWM. "

---------------------

I have the correct file in the platform tools folder in the android sdk folder.

When I run the command prompt i get the following error:

"fastboot is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I read somewhere that the command prompt must be a special one for android and not the regular command prompt.
Can anyone shed light on this?
Could this have to do with the problem?

Thanks so much for the help!

beezy

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
You need to cd into the folder path of android-sdk.In windows it should be something along the lines of.
cd /android-sdk-windows/platform-tools

You need to be in the same folder in the command line that the fastboot file is in.

davidmagik

May 16, 2011
Visit site
ok I did some quick research and I think that i do need to run a command line within the android sdk which makes sense. I came across this webstie: "http://www.londatiga.net/it/how-to-use-android-adb-command-line-tool/"
It listed the first step to accesss the android command line is to enter this into the pc command line:

"D:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools"

When I enter that. The command line says: "This device is not ready"

What does this mean?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the HELP! I am finally in ClockworkMod.

I believe this is the last prerequisite to flash a rom!

How do I get here from now on?

1. If the ROM supports it which many do currently or will soon, they will have an option in the shutdown/power menu that says "Reboot". Select that and it will give you another option to Reboot, Reboot into Recovery (CWM) or reboot into bootloader.

2. If it doesn't support this then you boot into your bootloader from powered off state (Volume Up + Power) then select Recovery from the menu.

davidmagik

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to let you all know that I am running ics and it is a thousand times better than what I had with gingerbread. Thanks all of you sooooooooo much. I appreciate it!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae