Eugene kernel... Have you tried it?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Just starting a little discussion on what I think is a great kernel.

Eugene kernel. Latest release about an hour ago was Speedy 3.

Been running this kernel exclusively for a few days with a few breaks to test out other kernels but its rock solid. Thing I like the most is its built conservatively with a mild 1300 overclock and all the goods without playing with deep idle and live oc which seems to be giving the most problems on kernels sporting those options.

Great battery life and seemingly no reboots .. What more can you all for?

Running oICS v43. 200/800 mhz smart ass 2 governor.

Care to hear your thoughts...

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I been trying em off and on since aosp suggested. I'm one of those who gets the GPS lockup problems with that kernel tho. It is otherwise a very stable option. Sounds like it'll be baked into next oics too.

Personally I've been back on glados 2.6 with endursra bt=false patch. Conservative 200/800 110liveoc.

When the next Oics comes out with Eugene's kernel tho I may just run it for a bit and see how I like it after its settled. Hard to switch from the results I've been getting with glados tho

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

8616v

Dec 14, 2010
Visit site
I noticed maps was unusable for me on that kernel. It would be incredibly laggy and eventually force close on me. Looked around for a fix but never found one.

But I'll probably give it another shot on the next pics too

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I've seen mixed results on his thread....and tbh I think I've been flashing too much lately to try another. Need to actually let one settle in first haha

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Bah nandroided and then flashed speedy3. I'll give it a day or so unless I have problems. I could go for some battery sippage. Gonna try 200/800 smartass2. And ignore my horrid quadrant scores cause the phone still performs ok

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't bank on those quadrant scores.. It still runs snappy despite those scores.

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya feels just as fast as glados 2.6 at 220/880 lazy. Just gives me 1400 quadrants compared to 2200 lol. I know they are just numbers for bragging tho. Gps works on speedy 3 tho. Maps didn't freeze when I tried. Battery is giving me a good feeling even tho I just flashed a few hours ago

charn65

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been messing around with Fergies ics MIUI the past couple days. Will this kernel work on it?

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yes.

Can't say I was impressed by it. Generally, my phone was pretty plagued with lag, even with different min/max speeds.

I loaded up maps with GPS and the whole phone crawled, flashed a green screen, and I had to pull the battery after a few minutes of its being totally unresponsive.

The last version of his kernel ran fine with gomez, but I have favored Matr1x or GLaDOS since they seem to work better on my phone with the ROMs I choose.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I downloaded this kernel but it looks oddly small. I would like to know the size of the install zip to compare with my downloaded one before flashing it.

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
U full charged/calibrated last night and left off charger. 8 hours idle lost 5% only. Will test at work today and see how she does. So far no usability or performance issues at 200/800 saV2 gov

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Loaded and have a question. Does anyone else have the issue of the bottom button lights going out almost immediately and is this supposed to happen for battery savings? I wasn't them on a long as the screen is on. Does this effect the BLN indication?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Loaded and have a question. Does anyone else have the issue of the bottom button lights going out almost immediately and is this supposed to happen for battery savings? I wasn't them on a long as the screen is on. Does this effect the BLN indication?

Haven't paid much attention to the length of time the 4 row buttons are lit up but don't forget we can now use BLN Control App from the market on the latest run of kernels from the main players. This will give you a little more control over those buttons now for notification

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I kind of like my bottom lights on as long as the screen is on. These turn off almost immediately. Also getting some of the worst battery life I've seen on this phone. 3.5 hours down to 60% from where i started at (99%). I know i need to give it a few days to settle. 4g turned off and no music played. It is running very smoothly though.

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
Turn off BLD in nstools. That'll solve your capacity button light problems.

Personally I full charged then used the battery calibration app from market. Set at 200/800 smartass2 I'm at 17 hours with 3 hours screen on time at 29%.

I have to say...when this kernel sleeps it really sleeps lol. I went from 100%-95% sitting idle off charger all night while I slept for 8 hours. I haven't seen numbers like this since teuv on gb. Phone feels very fluid and smooth with everything I've tried to do.

I don't game at all on phone tho. And web browsing eats the battery pretty fast. But that's usual I think since I'm on 3g in a tin warehouse. I'll screenshot when I get to red and post for ya guys later.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Turn off BLD in nstools. That'll solve your capacity button light problems.

Personally I full charged then used the battery calibration app from market. Set at 200/800 smartass2 I'm at 17 hours with 3 hours screen on time at 29%.

I have to say...when this kernel sleeps it really sleeps lol. I went from 100%-95% sitting idle off charger all night while I slept for 8 hours. I haven't seen numbers like this since teuv on gb. Phone feels very fluid and smooth with everything I've tried to do.

I don't game at all on phone tho. And web browsing eats the battery pretty fast. But that's usual I think since I'm on 3g in a tin warehouse. I'll screenshot when I get to red and post for ya guys later.

That's the exact settings i have my phone set to. I don't have nstools as it won't run on my phone. Never had the button light problem until i loaded this kernel but i kind of figured it was built into the kernel to save power.

I don't play games or anything either.

Last edited:

Brianbgrp

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
42577631-faab-ad9e.jpg

3 hours 8 mins screen on time. Battle at 17%. Just wasted 6% updating a few apps from market lol