Running Android 2.3.7 from Sprint, got the phone about a month ago, i started reading yesterday about rooting and what not, and did it today.

I don't understand exactly what i did , but i just followed the instructions and the phone is unlocked, and i have a superuser icon in the applications, And also installed TWPR 2.0, so i can go in Recovery mode with a nice GUI.

I know how to run Windows, but Android is new to me, first smartphone in fact , so can somebody explain what do i do with the superuser icon ? and would ibe able to recieve OS updates from Sprint ?

The reason i rooted the phone was to be able to use the hot spot wifi, but now i'm reading about ICS and how to install it.

Question is, since the device is rooted, would i be able to recieve the ICS update from Sprint whenever is available, and apply that update simply clicking update on the phone ?

Or im i now screwed because i rooted the phone, so the only way to have ICS would be through a custom OS ?

Thanks in advance
    01-19-2012 02:27 PM
    Actually TWRP is not getting stick in the recovery menu. When i click it, i see a little green android in front of an exclamation triangle. No way to get out of there so i have to remove the battery everytime, the only way the recovery menu works, is to connect the phone to my laptop, and run

fastboot flash recovery twrp-crespo4g-2.0.0RC0.img

After this command the recovery runs, is there a way to make TWRP to stick in the menu without having to run the command everytime from the PC ?
    01-19-2012 03:28 PM
    Research ROM manager.
    01-19-2012 04:55 PM
    Install CLockwork Recovery instead.
    01-19-2012 04:55 PM
    Running Android 2.3.7 from Sprint, got the phone about a month ago, i started reading yesterday about rooting and what not, and did it today.

Question is, since the device is rooted, would i be able to recieve the ICS update from Sprint whenever is available, and apply that update simply clicking update on the phone ?

Or im i now screwed because i rooted the phone, so the only way to have ICS would be through a custom OS ?

Thanks in advance
    If you are rooted, stock updates will not install - you would have to go back to stock, or even easier would be to flash a rooted version of the update, which will be released on the same day the update starts

Actually TWRP is not getting stick in the recovery menu. When i click it, i see a little green android in front of an exclamation triangle. No way to get out of there so i have to remove the battery everytime, the only way the recovery menu works, is to connect the phone to my laptop, and run

fastboot flash recovery twrp-crespo4g-2.0.0RC0.img

After this command the recovery runs, is there a way to make TWRP to stick in the menu without having to run the command everytime from the PC ?
    Whenever you flash a custom recovery, you have to modify the system file that checks for the stock recovery upon boot-up - the instructions should be included in the directions on flashing TWRP
    01-19-2012 11:43 PM
    I ran into the same issue, regarding recovery. I ran the one click root, and it installed TWRP. It wouldn't flash the root.zip, so I booted back into android, and went back in to recovery. I saw the triangle, indicating I had no recovery. I decided to run the one click root again, and it installed TWRP again. This time, it seemed to stick. Not sure why the second flash made it stick.

I think the rom you flash will depend on whether you can still receive sprint updates, or not. But almost all the ICS roms I have seen are compiled from source, meaning the same source that would go into the OTA from google, with a few mods for better functionality.
    01-20-2012 12:42 PM
    I ran into the same issue, regarding recovery. I ran the one click root, and it installed TWRP. It wouldn't flash the root.zip, so I booted back into android, and went back in to recovery. I saw the triangle, indicating I had no recovery. I decided to run the one click root again, and it installed TWRP again. This time, it seemed to stick. Not sure why the second flash made it stick.

I think the rom you flash will depend on whether you can still receive sprint updates, or not. But almost all the ICS roms I have seen are compiled from source, meaning the same source that would go into the OTA from google, with a few mods for better functionality.
    Once you flash a custom ROM of any sort, you loose the ability to receive any OTA updates.
    01-20-2012 01:39 PM
    Once you flash a custom ROM of any sort, you loose the ability to receive any OTA updates.
    Is it because of the bootloader being unlocked, or because of changes in the \system partition? Or something else entirely?
    01-20-2012 01:45 PM
    Thanks for the info guys. i installed ROM manager, which in turned installed Clockwork, and that's how i ended up installing Bugless Beast, through ROM Manager, it did the boot recover, and installed the image for me.

If i need to install an update for the Bugless Beast ROM (once it's available), should i just click update ROM in ROM Manager, or is there a more through process like wiping cache in recovery, then flashing the image from SD card ? trying to stick with a simple process, i know some people like to update everything manually, i guess it's cleaner this way, but i'd like to know if it's possible to have the same sucess with a simpler approach.

I'm not going to try every ROM out there yet, and i know i should , but i'll stick with this Bugless beast for a while since so far i haven't have any problems, and i'd like to know what's the best way to keep things updated.

Once again, thanks a lot for all the help, this forum is great.
    01-21-2012 10:34 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD