[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Required files/downloads

[INFO]Required Files to Download

:: SDK Method Required Files ::

android-sdk_r16-windows.zip (Android SDK) Download & Extract to C:/ of your hard drive

Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip (Superuser/Root) Place on root level of sdcard on device

recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img (ClockWorkMod recovery image) Place in your C:/android-sdk/platform-tools/

PDAnet (Aid in connection & driver installation) Download, don't install until instructed.

Optional Windows Samsung Drivers (Download) Click on file to install to computer

:: One Click Root Method Required File ::

One Click Root v5.0 (Download ONLY if your using the One Click Root method)

[/INFO]

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Windows SDK Rooting Guide

[NOTE]Android SDK Package - Windows

[WARN]Performing the following procedure will completely wipe your device. Make sure you contacts are synced before moving forward and backup any pictures, music, etc. from your internal sdcard location. You have been warned ![/WARN]

1. Assuming you have downloaded the required files from previous post. Make sure android-sdk setup has been extracted to your C:/ location of your hard drive. This location when extracted to C:/ will actually be named a folder called " android-sdk-windows ".

[TIP]To get your platform-tools folder properly installed inside your C:/android-sdk-windows folder, please see this POST[/TIP]

2. Place the recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img in the C:/android-sdk-windows/platform-tools/ location if you haven't already.

3. Download the following file, Superuser-3.1.3-arm-signed.zip and place it on your root level internal storage/sdcard.

4. Starting with your device booted and everything ready to go proceed to Step #5

5. On your device go to Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging. Go ahead and enable this option.

6. Now plug your device via USB cable into your computer and allow the drivers to install.

7. Go back to your computer and run the PDAnet setup file.

Follow the prompts and when it gets to the following picture below to install the drivers, pick Samsung and follow up by doing as it instructs and plug in your device once again with debugging enabled to finish installing the drivers.
samsungdriver.png

8. Now you will need to shut down your device and then press and hold Volume UP + Power button and you will be booted into your bootloader.

9. Go back to your computer, press the Windows Icon/Start in the lower left hand corner task bar and either from RUN or the small search bar type CMD and press ENTER. A Windows DOS window will open for you.

10. Type the following from the command line and press ENTER.

Code:
cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\
11. Now your command prompt should look like the screenshot below.
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601] Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. C:\Users\PaulSR>cd c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools\ c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

12. Now type in the following command prompt and press ENTER.

Code:
fastboot oem unlock
You should then be presented with a screen on your device like the screenshot below.
unlockbl.jpg

13. Now after reading the speech on the screen about unlocking your bootloader and taking note that this will completely WIPE YOUR DEVICE, go ahead and select YES.

14. Now from your command prompt type the following command and press ENTER. This will install ClockWorkMod recovery to your device.

Code:
fastboot flash recovery  recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img
15. Once this is complete you can then select RECOVERY from the list on your bootloader screen. (Navigate by using Volume UP/Down and make selections by pressing Power). This will then boot you into ClockWorkMod (CWM) 5.0.2.0.

16. Now again using the same buttons to navigate go down to Install from SDCARD. Now follow the prompts to select a file, look for the Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip you placed on your sdcard and process to install.

17. Now you have completed the rooting process :) You may reboot your device.

Now you can go searching for your favorite ROMs, kernels, mods, etc. and enjoy a new way of using your device :)

** I took the liberty of adding the code so when you flash the Superuser file it also makes the CWM "stick".

[/NOTE]

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
One Click Root Method

[INFO]Version #2 ? One Click Root Package

[warn]Performing the following procedure will completely wipe your device. Make sure you contacts are synced before moving forward and backup any pictures, music, etc. from your internal sdcard location. You have been warned ![/warn]

Now we all have heard the goods and bads of One Click Root packages. 99% time they work and the other 1% of the time they cause problems.

This One Click Root package works, I tested it myself and if you follow the prompts & instructions its a painless process.
[NOTE]
1. Download the following package and extract it's contents to your C:/ drive.
One Click Root v5.0

2. Open the One Click Root folder and with your device booted, place it in debugging mode (Settings/Applications/Development/USB Debugging) and then click on the run.bat file to begin the process.

3. From there the program basically walks you through the process. It will do a little, then ask you to participate by verifying certain things.

If your unrooted, then select the unrooted/stock device option and follow its instructions. Make sure when you get to the prompt about device you select the proper device (Nexus S 4G).
Later in the installation it will give you the option of two recoveries to choose from. The common ClockWorkMod (CWM) recovery and the new TWRP (Touch Screen) recovery. Both do basically the same thing, TWRP is newer and offers a little better layout.

[TIP]I have gotten a PM or two concerning the root.zip file that is supposed to be transfered in the process to provide Superuser access not working. To fix this situation see this POST[/TIP]

There really isn't much more to this package to explain because it basically holds your hand through the process and ShabbyPenguin who designed it did an excellent job with it. [/NOTE]

[/INFO]

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Credits & Resources

[INFO]Credits & Resources

This guide was written up with use of various resources and credit to different people...

Android Central
Joshua Munoz
KSmithInNY
ShabbyPenguin
Any one who I didn't mention...

[/INFO]

Last edited:
Reactions: TheTolsonator

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Root] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

@dedeandmaddog

You said seem to be having a problem where during One Click Root it didn't transfer the root file over?

1. If you boot into your bootloader and select RECOVERY what happens?

2. If you boot into ClockWorkMod or TWRP then all your are missing is the root.zip file is Superuser (root access). So in this situation then you can grab the Superuser file from the second post in this thread and flash in recovery to gain Superuser/root access. Use the Install from SDCARD option.

Please report back with your results.

Thanks.

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

when i boot into recovery it does nothing and brings up an android with a exclamation inside a triangle. only way out was to pull the battery. phone restarted normally after that

Edit:
I attempted again after battery pull. it shows a picture of a box open with and arrow out for a second or so, then goes to triangle and exclamation image, I am guessing that the recovery file was not transferred correctly?

Last edited:

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

i may be getting ahead of myself but i attempted to run the one click root option again, this time i chose option 2 for have unlocked bootloader need recovery. went through steps chose CWM recovery option and get <waiting for device> on screen.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

i may be getting ahead of myself but i attempted to run the one click root option again, this time i chose option 2 for have unlocked bootloader need recovery. went through steps chose CWM recovery option and get <waiting for device> on screen.
Option to try...

I guess go back and act if you are doing a fresh install...

Have that Superuser file ready on your computer. When and if you get booted into CWM recovery you have an option called Mounts & Storage from the main list.

Choose that option, then choose MOUNT USB STORAGE.

That will then connect your device to your computer and you can then move the Superuser file over to your device via Windows Explorer and then exit the USB MOUNT and then flash/install the Superuser apk.

Then you can reboot, and you should have root access and you CWM should stick instead of being erased.

Last edited:
Reactions: dedeandmaddog

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

I believe that worked. thanks for your help. Now onto installing ICS!!!!

thanks again.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

I believe that worked. thanks for your help. Now onto installing ICS!!!!

thanks again.
Good deal...

I will have to amend my installation notes to take this possible situation into consideration.

Thats for pointing it out.

Paul.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Hi Paul,

I'm about to embark on the rooting process! One initial confusion. Your instructions say:

android-sdk_r16-windows.zip (Android SDK) Download & Extract to C:/ of your hard drive

Superuser-3.0.7-efghi-signed.zip (Superuser/Root) Place on root level of sdcard on device

recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img (ClockWorkMod recovery image) Place in your C:/android-sdk/platform-tools/

On this last step, am I supposed to create a folder on my C drive "android-sdk" and then create a folder within called "platform-tools"?

I couldn't find this location after I downloaded and extracted the android-sdk_r16 zip file above to my C drive.
Okay there is a mistake probably on my part... When you extract the contents of the android-sdk_r16.zip file the folder inside that you place on your C:/ drive location is actually called.

android-sdk-windows

I forgot the "windows" part of the folder name. I will fix my OP to reflect this.

So search for the folder android-sdk-windows on your C:/ location and you should be fine.

As for your other part of the question, inside the android-sdk-windows folder there will already be the required platform-tools. So no need to create that.

Paul.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Okay there is a mistake probably on my part... When you extract the contents of the android-sdk_r16.zip file the folder inside that you place on your C:/ drive location is actually called.

android-sdk-windows

I forgot the "windows" part of the folder name. I will fix my OP to reflect this.

So search for the folder android-sdk-windows on your C:/ location and you should be fine.

As for your other part of the question, inside the android-sdk-windows folder there will already be the required platform-tools. So no need to create that.

Paul.

On mine, these are the internal folders within "android-sdk-windows" folder:

add-ons
platforms
tools

I couldn't find a platform-tools folder.

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

maybe I spoke to soon. the one click installer finished and stated you phone is not rooted, however, I installed titanium back up and busybox and they are telling me that my phone is not rooted and cannot get SU access.

I also tried to go into recovery mode again after this and it gave me the same exclamation point in triangle screen and had to pull batter to reset.

I am guessing I am doing something wrong, just need to figure out what.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

@all...

Obviously some problems have crept up here... I did run through and follow my own steps that I did in the guides so I know it works. The One Click Root should be working if you follow the amended tip I placed in the installation instructions guide. I ran into this problem too with the root.zip file and thought it was just me so I didn't initially mention it.

To fix the problem of not having the platform-tools folder in your android-sdk-windows here is what you need to do.

1. Open the android-sdk-windows folder on your hard drive location.
2. Click on/run the SDK Manager file located inside.
3. This will open a SDK Manager window and you need to look on the left hand side for an option to install SDK Platform Tools. This is the only option you need to worry about. Check the box to the left of the SDK Platform Tools option and then near the bottom right hand side of the window you will see an option " Install Package(s) " .
4. Allow this to complete, shouldn't take long. Then when completed you can go back into the android-sdk-windows folder and see if you now have a platform-tools, folder.

Here is a helpful guide for this directly from Google's SDK website.
Installing the SDK | Android Developers

Look under Available Components.

Last edited:

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Paul,

On this step -- "6. Now plug your device via USB cable into your computer and allow the drivers to install."

It failed on my computer -- said it couldn't find any device drivers. I had already installed that optional samnsung drivers file that you mentioned. Should I just proceed to the next step and run PdaNet file?

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Thank you very much, Paul!

I followed the instructions for manual rooting and I'm now rooted. Time to install a custom ROM. Just now downloaded Titantiam Backup Pro.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thank you for being patient and helping me get a few bugs worked out of the guide.

Enjoy your new world of rooting :)

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk