[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Re: [Root] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

question for you paul...still having same issue that when recovery is run i locks up and a battery pull is required. when I go into recovery folder (TWRP) via usb connection to my phone I see it is empty. is this normal? it makes me believe that the recovery is being deleted and therefore final root cannot be achieved even though the program stated I was rooted?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

question for you paul...still having same issue that when recovery is run i locks up and a battery pull is required. when I go into recovery folder (TWRP) via usb connection to my phone I see it is empty. is this normal? it makes me believe that the recovery is being deleted and therefore final root cannot be achieved even though the program stated I was rooted?

There has been some issues with TWRP getting it to stick. I'm not sure what the deal is really. I obtained TWRP by flashing the standard CWM recovery and then there is an available TWRP recovery flashable that you can flash in CWM to switch over to TWRP... Sorry alot of TWRP talk here.. LOL...

I would try running it again and go with CWM and here is the TWRP recovery flashable thread.

[ACS] TWRP 2.0 Recovery flashable zip

Reactions: dedeandmaddog

dedeandmaddog

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site

finally, looks like that did, using CWM now. Appreciate all your help.

many many thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
The PdaNet that was posted was for the 32 bit. Is there a 64 bit exe file?

Google PDAnet and go to their site and check.

Fyi this is the same PDAnet I use on my own computer and I have/run windows 7/64 bit.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk

elias0441

Jan 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I rooted and it worked but !!! my sd card was wiped off and i can't do the last step where i install the superuser.
I started my phone then rebooted and went into recovery but it doesnt go to cynm recovery.........it goes to the original.
what do i do now?
Done using the sdk method

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I rooted and it worked but !!! my sd card was wiped off and i can't do the last step where i install the superuser.
I started my phone then rebooted and went into recovery but it doesnt go to cynm recovery.........it goes to the original.
what do i do now?
Done using the sdk method

You have two options.

1. You can do as you said and skip the sdk method and use the OneClickRoot.

2. Go back using the SDK method, but follow this steps..

1. Place that Superuser file on your sdcard now that your unlocked.
2. Reboot into the bootloader and re flash the CWM recovery.
3. Once that is complete boot into RECOVERY and then FLASH/INSTALL the Superuser file.
4. Reboot and your good to go :)

Reactions: elias0441

Juvie83

Apr 14, 2012
Visit site
Re: One Click Root Method

[INFO]Version #2 ? One Click Root Package

[warn]Performing the following procedure will completely wipe your device. Make sure you contacts are synced before moving forward and backup any pictures, music, etc. from your internal sdcard location. You have been warned ![/warn]

Now we all have heard the goods and bads of One Click Root packages. 99% time they work and the other 1% of the time they cause problems.

This One Click Root package works, I tested it myself {....}
[/INFO]

Thank you to all the people who take the time. I'm on my fourth android and I couldnt hack one if my life depended on it, but One Click Root Authors have been there for me every time.

You guys are why the internet is the greatest invention of this and most any era before it.

Thanks again,
Juvie83

giograves

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site

Option to try...

I guess go back and act if you are doing a fresh install...

Have that Superuser file ready on your computer. When and if you get booted into CWM recovery you have an option called Mounts & Storage from the main list.

Choose that option, then choose MOUNT USB STORAGE.

That will then connect your device to your computer and you can then move the Superuser file over to your device via Windows Explorer and then exit the USB MOUNT and then flash/install the Superuser apk.

Then you can reboot, and you should have root access and you CWM should stick instead of being erased.

Probably should have read the whole thread but..

I ran into the same issue. Thing was I didn't want to re-wipe because it looked like Google downloaded all my apps (and for some the settings) when i stepped away for a bit, so I just picked up from step 14 of the sdk method and now I'm fully rooted on OTA ICS 4.0.4

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Probably should have read the whole thread but..

I ran into the same issue. Thing was I didn't want to re-wipe because it looked like Google downloaded all my apps (and for some the settings) when i stepped away for a bit, so I just picked up from step 14 of the sdk method and now I'm fully rooted on OTA ICS 4.0.4

Sounds great. Man I'm sorry about the million steps in the SDK Method :p

I just really tried to break it down as simple as possible with good instruction and really take everyone by the hand through the process. Ended up much long than I really wanted.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Just rooted my new NexS with the one click listed in the OP using the newest 5.1 version. Set up pdanet then samsung drivers and had NO issues with it, took me all the way thru. 5.1 really is a nice tool.

chrismartinez0

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
ok i went through the sdk version to root my nexus s4g and i didnt read ahead and super user got deleted of my root of sd. and cwm recovery didnt stick so i tried to go back and re-root using sdk but my phone is not being found by my computer....it says usb enabled my nothing comes up on my computer and when im in the cmd prompt to reload cwm it says waiting for device. ive tried re loading pdanet but it keeps telling me to connect my phone which is connected but not being seen. the boot loader is unlocked and i cant reboot into boot loader but once i click recovery i get the green android with red arrow coming out. ive pulled the battery several times but i cant get recovery or superuser because my phone registering as a usb drive..............please help

edit: tried reloading samsung usb driver but it stalled out is there anyway to flash a recovery to my phone using dropbox to install it to my sdcard or do i have to connect it with usb

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol