Question b/f I root/ and install Custom ICS ROM

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I apologize if there's a thread out there already explaining this, but I'm looking at my first time rooting an android phone, my NS4G, and installing a custom ROM, so I wanted to be sure about something --

Someone offered me the tip of using the one click root method. My understanding is that this will require a complete wipe of everything on my phone. What do people do about getting their applications and settings, as they previously had installed/set, back on their phone after rooting and installing a custom ROM?

I understand there are apps that will back everything up, but if my phone gets wiped upon rooting, then presumably the backup is gone, too, right? Or is the idea to backup, save on my computer, then after rooting, add back?

So far, I used Astro to backup my applications. Should I save that backup on my computer? And then after rooting and adding custom ROM, downloading Astro again, and placing that backup folder on my phone?

Any help/advice on this would be really appreciated!

Jarhead7011

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Yes, waiting on this answer as I too am trying to take the plunge to root my NS4G (CDMA). Been trying to piece together a list of tools needed first. Finding myself going around in circles with all the info and guides out there. Would someone be kind enough to post a link/guide of tool files? Thank you.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if there's a thread out there already explaining this, but I'm looking at my first time rooting an android phone, my NS4G, and installing a custom ROM, so I wanted to be sure about something --

Someone offered me the tip of using the one click root method. My understanding is that this will require a complete wipe of everything on my phone. What do people do about getting their applications and settings, as they previously had installed/set, back on their phone after rooting and installing a custom ROM?

I understand there are apps that will back everything up, but if my phone gets wiped upon rooting, then presumably the backup is gone, too, right? Or is the idea to backup, save on my computer, then after rooting, add back?

So far, I used Astro to backup my applications. Should I save that backup on my computer? And then after rooting and adding custom ROM, downloading Astro again, and placing that backup folder on my phone?

Any help/advice on this would be really appreciated!

install titanium backup. I would suggest buying the pro version as you can do batch backups and restores. When you have completed your backup, hook your phone to your computer with the USB cable that came with your phone. Copy all of your files to your computer.

When you've finished rooting your phone do the same thing in reverse. Copy all your files back from the computer to your phone. after everything is back on your phone, reinstall titanium and restore your stuff.

Don't need to over think this stuff.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Reactions: corolla90

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I haven't used astro backup but that is pretty much how l do it with titanium backup. Works well.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
install titanium backup. I would suggest buying the pro version as you can do batch backups and restores. When you have completed your backup, hook your phone to your computer with the USB cable that came with your phone. Copy all of your files to your computer.

When you've finished rooting your phone do the same thing in reverse. Copy all your files back from the computer to your phone. after everything is back on your phone, reinstall titanium and restore your stuff.

Don't need to over think this stuff.

Hey man, trying not to over think this. But when I went to download Titantium Backup, it said that it only works with rooted phones. I downloaded nevertheless, but opened up the app and couldn't find where it would allow me to backup everything. It's sorta chicken and the egg. I'm trying to backup everything before rooting, but Titaniam doesn't seem to allow this unless you're already rooted. Is there a way around this, or have a different suggestion?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As far as I know you can't backup applications and restore them properly before rooting. That is the one thing you have to give up making your initial jump into rooting.

You apps you can restore from going to the Android Market online via computer and logging into your account and it will show all apps that were installed on your phone. You can then select to to redownload them.

You are correct on the full wipe. No matter which method you use, manual unlocking and rooting or One Click Root method when you unlock your boot loader it wipes the device.

Main thing is if you have pictures, or music, video that you want to keep on your sdcard you get that saved to computer first.

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
May I recommend when you go to install an ICS Rom, use Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast. I've tried at least three different ICS Roms and this one is my favorite. I am even under clocking the processor to 800mhz and getting great performance.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know you can't backup applications and restore them properly before rooting. That is the one thing you have to give up making your initial jump into rooting.

You apps you can restore from going to the Android Market online via computer and logging into your account and it will show all apps that were installed on your phone. You can then select to to redownload them.

You are correct on the full wipe. No matter which method you use, manual unlocking and rooting or One Click Root method when you unlock your boot loader it wipes the device.

Main thing is if you have pictures, or music, video that you want to keep on your sdcard you get that saved to computer first.

Okay - great. This makes sense now. I was under the impression that you'd be able to backup all before rooting, and I just couldn't find any resources on how. But if you can't, as explained, then it makes sense. So best I can do is backup things like pictures, music, other files, etc., but I guess actual settings, saved passwords, bookmarks, etc, may be gone. No biggie. Thanks!

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
May I recommend when you go to install an ICS Rom, use Peter Alfonso's Bugless Beast. I've tried at least three different ICS Roms and this one is my favorite. I am even under clocking the processor to 800mhz and getting great performance.

Thanks for the recommendation! And yeah, I've been hearing/reading from others that they really like Bugless Beast. Once you install this particular ROM, does it have a built in kernal manager (?) like Govnah on webOS where you can over and underclock, or is there something separate to install?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay - great. This makes sense now. I was under the impression that you'd be able to backup all before rooting, and I just couldn't find any resources on how. But if you can't, as explained, then it makes sense. So best I can do is backup things like pictures, music, other files, etc., but I guess actual settings, saved passwords, bookmarks, etc, may be gone. No biggie. Thanks!

Yes pics, etc. can be saved.. Even bookmarks if your using a 3rd party browser like Dolphin that has backup and restore.

Thanks for the recommendation! And yeah, I've been hearing/reading from others that they really like Bugless Beast. Once you install this particular ROM, does it have a built in kernal manager (?) like Govnah on webOS where you can over and underclock, or is there something separate to install?
Pete is a good selection. I always recommend to people to grab a few different ROMs and throw them on your internal sdcard and go test driving on each. Give them a few days per ROM so you can see what is out there and suits your taste just like buying a car.

Kernels can be control via some ROMs. AOKP and Code Name Android I know both offer built in kernel control from within Settings. Otherwise there are a few different 3rd party apps to control your CPU & kernels. Example the most popular SetCPU.

Here is a handy INDEX of what is out there... Its in need of an update, its about a week or so behind since I last updated things but it will give you quite a few ROMs & kernels to check out. We also have separate discussion threads for many of these ROMs & kernels in the Rooting and Hacking section.

[INDEX][ICS 4.x] ROMs, Kernels, Themes, Mods, etc. (Ice Cream Sandwich - Android 4.0)

[INDEX][GINGERBREAD] ROM's, Kernels, Themes & MODs (Gingerbread - Android 2.3.x)

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site

Grant,
have you had any problems with the Bugless Beast when trying to type in landscape or having
the apps/ camera rotate to landscape? I just installed the new nightly 1/22/2012 I think and nothing is
rotating.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Yes pics, etc. can be saved.. Even bookmarks if your using a 3rd party browser like Dolphin that has backup and restore.

Pete is a good selection. I always recommend to people to grab a few different ROMs and throw them on your internal sdcard and go test driving on each. Give them a few days per ROM so you can see what is out there and suits your taste just like buying a car.

Kernels can be control via some ROMs. AOKP and Code Name Android I know both offer built in kernel control from within Settings. Otherwise there are a few different 3rd party apps to control your CPU & kernels. Example the most popular SetCPU.

Here is a handy INDEX of what is out there... Its in need of an update, its about a week or so behind since I last updated things but it will give you quite a few ROMs & kernels to check out. We also have separate discussion threads for many of these ROMs & kernels in the Rooting and Hacking section.

[INDEX][ICS 4.x] ROMs, Kernels, Themes, Mods, etc. (Ice Cream Sandwich - Android 4.0)

[INDEX][GINGERBREAD] ROM's, Kernels, Themes & MODs (Gingerbread - Android 2.3.x)

Fant?stico! Really appreciate it!

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey man, trying not to over think this. But when I went to download Titantium Backup, it said that it only works with rooted phones. I downloaded nevertheless, but opened up the app and couldn't find where it would allow me to backup everything. It's sorta chicken and the egg. I'm trying to backup everything before rooting, but Titaniam doesn't seem to allow this unless you're already rooted. Is there a way around this, or have a different suggestion?

Your correct... My bad... But I would like to point out that when i rooted my nexus I didn't lose anything on my sd card or my programs and settings. I am probably the exception and not the norm. Can't say why I didn't but flukes can and sometimes do happen.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Your correct... My bad... But I would like to point out that when i rooted my nexus I didn't lose anything on my sd card or my programs and settings. I am probably the exception and not the norm. Can't say why I didn't but flukes can and sometimes do happen.

No worries! I think I've resolved that I'm just gonna have to sacrifice losing certain settings, wifi passwords already stored, etc. for the great good of being rooted and able to get ICS on my phone immiedately!

grantheppes

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site

I use CPU Master

j_grouchy

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Okay okay okay...I'm interested.
Problem is, I think I just need a step by step guide on what to do. It seems like everywhere I go the conversation immediately jumps to the lingo and my eyes glaze over. I'm not a computer illiterate fool, but for some reason all this ROM/Kernel stuff eludes me somewhat. Is this an indication that I shouldn't be rooting? Be honest.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Okay okay okay...I'm interested.
Problem is, I think I just need a step by step guide on what to do. It seems like everywhere I go the conversation immediately jumps to the lingo and my eyes glaze over. I'm not a computer illiterate fool, but for some reason all this ROM/Kernel stuff eludes me somewhat. Is this an indication that I shouldn't be rooting? Be honest.
[Root] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

I just finished writing this and bringing it up to date and it really should help even the most inexperienced get through the rooting process.

Get that done and flashing ROMs and kernels is a piece of cake.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
[Root] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

I just finished writing this and bringing it up to date and it really should help even the most inexperienced get through the rooting process.

Get that done and flashing ROMs and kernels is a piece of cake.

Paul is correct. The rooting is the worst part. Just remember. Use the twrp or cwm backup before doing anything and it becomes idiot proof. If you make it a habit to back up before flashing you are only minutes away from going back to where you were before.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Hey Grant,

Downloaded Bugless Beast using Rom Manager. When I went to install, the installation aborted. Said it couldn't open from SD card. Did you have this issue? I did select both wipe data and cache, and also wipe the Dav cache, too.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just an update. Followed the awesome instructions on rooting and I've successfully installed Bugless Beast, ICS version for my NS4G, and it's fantastic!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conrad Edmund