Currently Rooted, but what about official ICS release?

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys,

Go figure, I recently rooted for the first time my NS4G and flashed Bugless Beast on my phone. So far, so good.

Now that the official ICS rom has been leaked, say for example, I'd like to go with the stock ICS release that Sprint/Google will push out, what do I have to do?

Thanks!

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I would stay on the bugless beast for a while. Peter will update his Rom with the current release for our phone and make it better. Why go to the offical Rom when you have a better one already?

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
I would stay on the bugless beast for a while. Peter will update his Rom with the current release for our phone and make it better. Why go to the offical Rom when you have a better one already?

Ahhh okay. So when a custom ROM is "updated," does that require having to flash the new custom rom version again? Or is there an option in ROM Manger, for example, to just update the ROM?

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

Pete just updated his ROM to the 4.0.4 base as of a few minutes ago

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Ahhh okay. So when a custom ROM is "updated," does that require having to flash the new custom rom version again? Or is there an option in ROM Manger, for example, to just update the ROM?

Depends on the ROM, with Pete's ROMs he usually says that wiping dalvik cache and flashing over is all that is needed.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Sweet! I'll do that tonight, too! So install the updated ROM only wiping the Dalvik cache.

And to update the radio, just "flash in recovery." What does that exactly mean? Download the file to my SD card (root level) and then installing via ClockworkModRecovery?

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Sweet! I'll do that tonight, too! So install the updated ROM only wiping the Dalvik cache.

And to update the radio, just "flash in recovery." What does that exactly mean? Download the file to my SD card (root level) and then installing via ClockworkModRecovery?

For the ROM yes. Just download the new ROM to you card. Boot into CWM and wipe the Dalvik cache first then install the rom from your card.

As for the updated radio you are correct to my knowledge. But hopefully someone else will chime in.

If you do this let me know how it goes. At work right now.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
For the ROM yes. Just download the new ROM to you card. Boot into CWM and wipe the Dalvik cache first then install the rom from your card.

As for the updated radio you are correct to my knowledge. But hopefully someone else will chime in.

Thanks, man! And yeah, I'm at work, too. I'll do this tonight, but will post my results.

corolla90

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Quick question -- in CWM, to wipe the Dalvik cache first, do i select "wipe cache partition." I don't see the optino for wiping "Dalvik cache."

junkshow

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site

Assuming you are using the flashable zip found here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [STOCK] Nexus S 4g CDMA Firmware IMM26 Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4

Yes, just copy the zip to SD, and then boot to recovery and "install zip from SD." No need to wipe anything.

I prefer to install radios via fastboot. Instructions on doing that are here: xda-developers - View Single Post - [STOCK] Nexus S 4g CDMA Firmware IMM26 Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4

Quick question -- in CWM, to wipe the Dalvik cache first, do i select "wipe cache partition." I don't see the optino for wiping "Dalvik cache."

It is usually found under the advanced menu.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site

Sorry but that is incorrect on the radio installation.

See this thread...

[guide][fastboot] flash radio/modem using fastboot

Last edited:
Reactions: corolla90

skinneejay

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Paul is there a reason why you like to do your radio's this way instead of the flash way in CWM?
Thank you. Also I love how you break everything down in your other post. Your information is very precise and to the point.

Reactions: Paul627g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Paul is there a reason why you like to do your radio's this way instead of the flash way in CWM?
Thank you. Also I love how you break everything down in your other post. Your information is very precise and to the point.

No real reason. Just find using fastboot to be more fun from a tech stand point. Plus once your comfortable with using fastboot you can flash the whole OS to unroot/return to stock.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Sorry but that is incorrect on the radio installation.

See this thread...

[guide][fastboot] flash radio/modem using fastboot

It can be flashed via recovery in CWM if using a radio image flashable zip. I did it just today using this:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=22014727&postcount=124

Fastboot is another option.

If one is already in recovery flashing one of these roms, just easy to flash the radio there too (if one wants to update the radio)

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks