[ROM] Codename Android

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Still up in the air on this rom vs. dooder. Had some lag issues earlier today. Love the features. Favorite one is customized carrier name on lock screen and pull down. If I ever loose my phone, people will know who's it is.

This needs Torch built in though. I miss this a lot from CM7. I use it ALL the time.

Dooderbutt is an excellent ROM from my fellow AC staff member Beezy. I've been running it on and off for some time now and its really gotten smooth in the last version or two... Beezy takes pride in what he does with the ROM.

CNA ROM is awesome too, it still runs like its a stripped down ROM but has all the options there at your fingertips when you want them.

Torch, I really don't know why it isn't there... I have a friend that knows the ROM dev of CNA and maybe I'll see if I can get an answer on this...

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I know you can edit them, but the option for tethering isnt there. It was on OICS. Very minor complaint though, as I hardly ever use it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I know you can edit them, but the option for tethering isnt there. It was on OICS. Very minor complaint though, as I hardly ever use it.

Tethering option is there. From your widget list when you select which ones to display its called Toggle Wifi AP

It looks like the wifi toggle except its got a colored/highlighted background around the wifi symbol.

Toggle it on and wait a sec or two and it will turn on your Hotspot and bring you to the Hotspot setup menu.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Have you read the story at Android Central? Deep Idle has been proven not to do anything for battery life. Lots of data to back it up. Also said the matr1x kernel gives the best battery life of any of the kernels.

True...but after looking at his spreadsheet, it's clear that these were very controlled tests. Some would say that doesn't accurate replicate real world scenarios.

Also, phones are different and usage varies.

This would be one of those situations in which we could a priori recommend that deep idle will not improve battery life in general; however, individual use may vary, a posteriori

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Tethering option is there. From your widget list when you select which ones to display its called Toggle Wifi AP

It looks like the wifi toggle except its got a colored/highlighted background around the wifi symbol.

Toggle it on and wait a sec or two and it will turn on your Hotspot and bring you to the Hotspot setup menu.

ORLY? Nice, well then one less complaint from me. Go Codename lol.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
FYI, I'm going to take a wild guess here and say Torch will be active in the next update. CM 9 just got Torch enabled in their latest release.

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
thats voodoo/matr1x. set the voodoo gamma slider all to zero and it goes away. bugs the crap out of me too, especially since voodoo doesnt ever remember my settings and i have to do it again on every boot.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
only problem i've had with CNA is the green flash when i turn my phone on from standby. haven't noticed it with Bugless.....

thats voodoo/matr1x. set the voodoo gamma slider all to zero and it goes away. bugs the crap out of me too, especially since voodoo doesnt ever remember my settings and i have to do it again on every boot.

You can setup a custom script to run at boot to eliminate this... I will dig up the necessary script and share it here when I find it.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
After a day of use I can't take it any more, the rom is to choppy and a lot of FCs. Making my nandroid and switching back to Dooder. Using Matrix CFS, this rom isn't ready for multi-tasking. I use my phone for several different things at once pretty often.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
After a day of use I can't take it any more, the rom is to choppy and a lot of FCs. Making my nandroid and switching back to Dooder. Using Matrix CFS, this rom isn't ready for multi-tasking. I use my phone for several different things at once pretty often.
Did you do a full wipe before flashing?

I only say this because, well after all I have been running this ROM since it appeared for us on the NS4G. I haven't had a single FC, I have built a theme around it which required dozens and dozens of flashings without wipe's I might add, and its still as stable as can be with no lag running Matr1x.

Just interested to hear what is going wrong.

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Did the full wipe that is posted on the CM9 rom thread. Clear Data > Clear Cache > Format System > Format Boot > Wipe Dalvik

Just thought about it.. I did use TI to back up everything from Dooder and then reloaded the apps onto there. Might be the issue.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Did the full wipe that is posted on the CM9 rom thread. Clear Data > Clear Cache > Format System > Format Boot > Wipe Dalvik

Just thought about it.. I did use TI to back up everything from Dooder and then reloaded the apps onto there. Might be the issue.
the restore of apps and or data could very well be the problem.

Sent from my Nexus S 4g using Tapatalk

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Next time there is an update I will give it another go 'round without restoring. In the meantime, Dooder is back to running A+.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I usually just let Google restore all of my apps however there are a few apps that are just easier to to setup when I restore data only with titanium. My checkbook app, my online banking app just to name a few. My checkbook app has a years work of history I wouldn't want to have to manually setup and my online banking app is just a pain because unless you restore data I have to go to the bank and have them reset my account every time I flash an update.

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I usually just let Google restore all of my apps however there are a few apps that are just easier to to setup when I restore data only with titanium.

How does that work out? I've never used it to backup my phone. I've always used titanium, then I can do a full restore of apps and some data without having an internet connection. I imagine you need the internet to let Google restore your phone. Could take a while to download/install, no?

This ROM is f'ing sweet, BTW.

whippingboy

May 13, 2010
Visit site
This rom rocks! Shame on you Paul for not telling us sooner:p I say that because you joined the thread like "oh yeah that old thing? I've been using this for weeks!" LOL.

Regardless, this thing has been rock solid for me. The stable state of a stock launcher- and yet so many custom features, you'd swear it was a 3rd party launcher. I LOVE the 5x5 grid and custom notification toggles. Anyone else having trouble with the wimax toggle though? LOVE being able to remove the annoying google bar. Just wish they'd add removal of the menu bar like Go launcher has. The resizing of any widget to any grid size is also a must. love that. The battery icon mods, and the lockscreen options are also great.

Unless CM9 really knocks it out of the park, I may never leave this.

Special thanks to thebullfrog for this thread, apparently Paul never wanted us to know about this! And here I thought you were looking out for us buddy.:p

As far as restoring apps- this was my 1st time using app monster pro. Google still doesn't seem to resore anything but my purchased apps. I like how it remembers your non paid apps too and there's a feature to pull apps either from local backup or refresh from the market. VERY HANDY. This go round I restored from local storage to save time... and while I still had to "ok" each app install, it was a very quick process. I don't think the app restores the data like titanium does, but that's ok- as I think that's the problem for frequent rooters- data conflicts, not the application being restored on it's own.

In the past, I didn't use a backup as I had way too many issues with ROMS not working right in the epic days.
I use 2 folders with shortcuts and apps, these I restore from Folder Organizer- another great app for those sort of things- love how you can change the folder icon to any icon you want. I was up and running with my full preferences / homescreens apps restored in about an hour...too me some time to wade through all the customizations of this rom!

Last edited:

thebullfrog

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
Special thanks to thebullfrog for this thread, apparently Paul never wanted us to know about this! And here I thought you were looking out for us buddy.:p

Yeah Paul, take that! :p

The more I use this ROM, the more I think this is how ICS should have worked in the first place. My phone has never been more stable than this. It's been slightly faster, and it's had somewhat better battery life, but never had good battery life, with decent performance, and perfect stability all at once.

Skunkape60

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
How does that work out? I've never used it to backup my phone. I've always used titanium, then I can do a full restore of apps and some data without having an internet connection. I imagine you need the internet to let Google restore your phone. Could take a while to download/install, no?

This ROM is f'ing sweet, BTW.

It actually works very well. I only use it when I'm at home with wifi. My phone was completely setup fifteen minutes after flashing. It even remembers your wifi setting and passwords. Pretty slick!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I haven't been hiding anything.. CodeNameAndroid has been out for about a two weeks or so on the NS4G.. It originally started on the Galaxy Nexus and due to its popularity there the dev ported it over to the GSM & CDMA Nexus's also he is working on porting it to the Xoom tablet I think..

It is a great ROM, please do keep the discussion going and use this thread to its fullest.

I have fallen just a tad behind in a few of my updates since being moved up to moderator and getting up to speed on my duties. Now I'm finally comfortable where I can come back through and catch up on some of my updating of ROM/kernel's etc...

Paul.