[kcw][THEME] Skunk Works 1.0 2/19/2012

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Skunk Works v. 1.0

This is a preliminary theme based on the Skunk Works projects that resulted in the development of the U2, SR-71 and F-117. It is a fairly simple theme without too much modification of the original source.

This theme is available for Code Name Android ROM v. 1.3.3 and CM9 Nightly KANG v5. I have tested the theme on those ROMs. The theme is also available for AOSP dooderbutt v7, but I have not tested it.

Credits
Paul627g for referencing various threads on "theming" and giving me the flashing utilities
ZiggSevo for fixing my boot animation zip file; couldn't figure that out for the life of me!

Installation Instructions
1. Ensure that you are running either CM9 Nightly KANG v5 or Code Name Android 1.3.3
2. Boot into CWM
3. Wipe cache/dalvik cache
4. Flash the theme
5. Optional: flash the boot animation file. See a video here.
6. Optional: download, unzip, and transfer the wallpaper files

Downloads
1. CM9 Nightly KANG
2. Code Name Andoid 1.3.3
3. AOSP Dooderbutt v7 (not tested)

Please make a nandroid backup if you really value your current state of data or don't like my theme.

Enjoy, and please leave me some feedback.

Last edited:

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Re: [kcw][THEME] Skunk Works 1.0 2/16/2012

There ya go Kevin.. Way to go.

I still need to figure out how to edit the fonts and colors of the fonts. It's a real humbling experience to see what I've created and then to look at some of those full-blown themes (I'm recalling some of those themes for the Epic 4G -- I'm sure you remember).

My hat's perpetually off to developers and themers. So much to theme, so little time to do it...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: [kcw][THEME] Skunk Works 1.0 2/16/2012

I still need to figure out how to edit the fonts and colors of the fonts. It's a real humbling experience to see what I've created and then to look at some of those full-blown themes (I'm recalling some of those themes for the Epic 4G -- I'm sure you remember).

My hat's perpetually off to developers and themers. So much to theme, so little time to do it...

Well that is when you get involved with decompiling and recompiling the individual apks and framework.

If you serious about it Kevin, take a look over Dreamsforgotten guide in the old Epic 4g section... He does a nice job of breaking things down and getting you started down the road of doing so.... He will also answer questions in that thread too, he does keep up with it almost on a daily basis answering questions..

[Guide] Learning To Theme: Putting the tools to use pt. 1 - xda-developers

Of course you know I'm good for some Q & A, even Fergie that just responded here in your thread is good for Q & A on themes.. Don't forget Shane6374 from ACS, hes a book of knowledge too :)

Reactions: kevincwelch

aykem

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm using Dbutt v7, and what works for me is only the phone button and app icon changes (and the bootscreen). I used a couple of their provided mods, like the status bar with the clock on the left and battery mod and the 5x4 home screen. This theme didn't change the status bar, it made the home screen 4x4, and it didn't change the app menu button. Contrarily, it does play nice with the on-screen buttons. I'll do a clean flash (without the mods) and try it, see how it plays.

EDIT:
After a clean flash, it still didn't update the apps button, nor the status bar.

Last edited:

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I'm using Dbutt v7, and what works for me is only the phone button and app icon changes (and the bootscreen). I used a couple of their provided mods, like the status bar with the clock on the left and battery mod and the 5x4 home screen. This theme didn't change the status bar, it made the home screen 4x4, and it didn't change the app menu button. Contrarily, it does play nice with the on-screen buttons. I'll do a clean flash (without the mods) and try it, see how it plays.

Thanks for the feedback.

For some reason, I did have problems with the launcher icon when I made the theme for CM9 as well. I'm not sure why it made your screen 4x4, though. Really the icons were just modified. Status bar was not.

aykem

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback.

For some reason, I did have problems with the launcher icon when I made the theme for CM9 as well. I'm not sure why it made your screen 4x4, though. Really the icons were just modified. Status bar was not.

That would explain the status bar.. must've gotten mistaken on the screenshots. :-\

Was a simple fix, just reflashed it after I recovered. Otherwise, great theme, always loved Lockheed.

EDIT:
Upon further inspection, my Calendar app got duplicated, one with stock Gapps icon, and one with yours. Not sure if that's the ROM itself or the theme.

Last edited:

kevincwelch

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
That would explain the status bar.. must've gotten mistaken on the screenshots. :-\

Was a simple fix, just reflashed it after I recovered. Otherwise, great theme, always loved Lockheed.

EDIT:
Upon further inspection, my Calendar app got duplicated, one with stock Gapps icon, and one with yours. Not sure if that's the ROM itself or the theme.

There's probably the modified calendar from the theme, which is the same application but under a different filename compared to the version of GAPPS you have.

I'm sure you can delete one of them and preserve the functionality of the calendar app.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Some of the ROMs out there come with example...

Calendar.apk and then the GAPPS package has GoogleCalendar.apk.

Same application and the GAPPS package normally has the proper script to delete out the old (Calendar.apk) upon install..

Kevin, you will have to make sure your theme package is installing the proper GAPPS or you will end up in a double calendar or gallery, etc...

Makes you feel any better I did the same thing when I did my last theme and had double apps popping up :p :confused: