I'm an Idiot. Quick Question:

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
OK, yesterday I got a little drunk and decided to root my Nexus S 4g using a One Click Method that I found over at addictive tips wesite. Mind you, I havent tried before because I didnt understand the process, and wanted to learn a bit more about what rooting does, unlocked boot-loaders, yada, yada.

Liquid courage.

Nothing is broke, and my phone is working fine. But when I checked to see if I successfully rooted it using root checker, it says it's not rooted. Here's the thing: when I reboot the phone, during the Google screen animation, there's an unlocked lock symbol at the bottom of the screen.

Any ideas of what Ive actually done to the phone? And yes, I know it was incredibly dumb to attempt while drunk, and without the proper knowledge.

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I sorta figured that, since Superuser wasnt installed.

Hmm.. I'm going to wait until I get home to go about rooting this. That way I can actual research the steps, and what they do.

Any suggestions on guides that are thorough, but written so a novice can pick this up?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I sorta figured that, since Superuser wasnt installed.

Hmm.. I'm going to wait until I get home to go about rooting this. That way I can actual research the steps, and what they do.

Any suggestions on guides that are thorough, but written so a novice can pick this up?
I have a well written guide for Windows users to Root your device located below. We also have guides for Linux users...

[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G (Windows Version)

[Guide] Rooting the Nexus S 4G, with Linux

Reactions: JDGAFFLIN

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not a problem... If you have trouble just post in those threads and we will get things worked out for you.

JDGAFFLIN

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
No problem. I will ask one question here, pertaining to my situation. Will rooting with the boot-loader unlocked already alter the steps in your guides? Thanks.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Not really...... You can skip that portion of the process if your bootloader is already unlocked and flash the recovery & apply SU.

The One Click Root kit I supplied as an optional root method I believe has the same option built in that you can opt to pick your bootloader is unlocked, just flash the recovery.