[GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Restore to Factory/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g
The method/instructions provided here will restore your device back to stock Gingerbread v2.3.4. Bootloader will be locked & root removed if it was rooted prior. There are other packages floating around but none seem to work as easily as this one. Its bare bones, restore to stock no safety checks, etc to fail or cause issue it just WORKS. Question: Will this wipe my device? Answer: Your OS will be reset so you will loose any app data, settings etc. associated with the OS. Your internal sdcard/storage will remain untouched so pictures, music, videos, etc will be fine. Question: Do I have to reture to stock Gingerbread to receive the OTA update to ICS? Answer: Yes to receive the OTA update you will need to be running Gingerbread v2.3.7, stock... So using these methods and then allowing your device to update to the latest/final GB will put you into position to receive the ICS update. Instructions:
  1. Go here and download the package. [SCRIPT] [NS4G] [UPDATED] One Click Return to stock V2.0
  2. Extract the contents to your C:/ drive
  3. From a booted state ( Your phone powered up ), enable debugging from your Settings options and plug in your device.
  4. Click the " run.bat " file and relax for a few minutes.
  5. Your device will be restored to Gingerbread, bootloader locked and unrooted (if previously rooted).
Credit & Thanks to michaelpeerman @ xda developers. [TIP]**** Unroot/Restore to Official Jelly Bean v4.1.1 (Thanks hlxanthus) Unroot/restore to factory ICS 4.0.4 see post #4[/TIP]

Last edited:

michaelsdk

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
Any chance for a direct link to the file(s)? xda-dev is filtered at work, while this site somehow is not. And I have XP at work while I have 7 at home. I rooted from XP, and 7 is just a pain when it comes to the drivers. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

johnnyappleseed

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi -

I've replaced the .img files in the original zip with the .img files from the 4.0.4 factory image.

I was rooted with a custom kernel and CWM and used this to get me to stock and unrooted 4.0.4.

Keep in mind that this should wipe your device, so I would only use this if you cannot install the OTA.

Click Here for a one-click install of stock/unrooted 4.0.4

gandalf1369

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
johnnyappleseed,

Could I use this to install the stock 4.0.4 update if my NS4G is running rooted 2.3.7 and the crespotetherfix?? Because I had applied the crespotetherfix several months ago, neither the OTA nor the manual method of updating to 4.0.4 is working for me.

Thanks

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
johnnyappleseed,

Could I use this to install the stock 4.0.4 update if my NS4G is running rooted 2.3.7 and the crespotetherfix?? Because I had applied the crespotetherfix several months ago, neither the OTA nor the manual method of updating to 4.0.4 is working for me.

Thanks
Yes you can.

This will reset your device to the factory stock images from Google released the other day, ICS 4.0.4

gandalf1369

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Paul . . . Just did it and everything looks good so far. One question - how easy is it to "re-root" ICS 4.0.4?? I would like to get all of my apps working again and a few need super-user access.

Thanks again for your help.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Root is obtained exactly the same way we did on GB... Nothing has changed.. Get it done in a few mins.

brianmeilicke

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting error: device not found message. USB debugging is clearly enabled, not sure what is preventing the program from recognizing my phone. Any suggestions?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Try grabbing PDANet (Google it) for your computer. It will make sure your drivers are properly installed on your computer...

Sounds like a driver issue, possibly a USB cable issue...

avalpert

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I'm trying to run the restore to 4.0.4 but it hasn't done anything for 10 minutes - the phone is in recovery and the last info on the batch is "sending 'userdata'". Is it supposed to take this long, I'm nervous to interrupt it though I am able to select the option in recovery and am tempted to reboot assuming it will reboot into the same state as before I started the process.

Any advice?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to run the restore to 4.0.4 but it hasn't done anything for 10 minutes - the phone is in recovery and the last info on the batch is "sending 'userdata'". Is it supposed to take this long, I'm nervous to interrupt it though I am able to select the option in recovery and am tempted to reboot assuming it will reboot into the same state as before I started the process.

Any advice?
I would like to have some good words of advice but I didn't modify this package. Worst case is you pull your battery and see what happens on a reboot.

Next suggestion, just use the original package to go back to Gingerbread v2.3.4 and do the OTA updates to v2.3.5/2.3.7 and finally over to ICS.

avalpert

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
I would like to have some good words of advice but I didn't modify this package. Worst case is you pull your battery and see what happens on a reboot.

Next suggestion, just use the original package to go back to Gingerbread v2.3.4 and do the OTA updates to v2.3.5/2.3.7 and finally over to ICS.

Thanks, I took my chances interrupting it and the third time finally got ICS updated. Now I am having trouble running the one-click root (I think it may be my cable that is the problem) it just hangs on waiting for the phone.

lightyear420

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
you don't have to go all the way down to 2.3.4 anymore. just get the stock 2.3.7 factory image from Google's page and drop it in the one click root folder..... just make sure you name it system.img or it won't work ;)

fyi, you can do the same with the 4.0.4 factory image, as well.

alrios95

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
I tried this on my phone and it doesn't let me get past the first command line that says sending 'boot' any advice?

I had already flashed the IMM26 ICS leak that came out around late February/early March.

MisterAnonymous

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
Any chance for a direct link to the file(s)? xda-dev is filtered at work, while this site somehow is not. And I have XP at work while I have 7 at home. I rooted from XP, and 7 is just a pain when it comes to the drivers. Any help is appreciated.

If you download it at home. Put it on a flash drive, and open it on your computer at work.

Ryuuie

May 7, 2011
Visit site
To do this, do you actually need the drivers for your device? My bf is trying to unroot his phone (he bought it used and it has CM on there which he doesn't want).

Thanks!