[GUIDE] Restore to Stock/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g

twistedsense

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Am new to the nexus but not new to rooting or making a phone stock but have a question. Bought a Nexus off ebay and tried to activate it. No go on activation. Sprint tech says it must have corrupted files when/if somebody tried to root it. The phone will boot up to android but i cant get my phone number to attach to it.

Now I cannot get my computer to recognize the phone in fastboot mode. Computer does see it when phone is booted to android though. Will this download of yours replace everything and i mean everything and possibly fix whatever is wrong?

Phone is not currently rooted

Everytime windows try in install the phone when in fastboot mode NONE of the drivers i have located will work.

Last edited:

twistedsense

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Am new to the nexus but not new to rooting or making a phone stock but have a question. Bought a Nexus off ebay and tried to activate it. No go on activation. Sprint tech says it must have corrupted files when/if somebody tried to root it. The phone will boot up to android but i cant get my phone number to attach to it.

Now I cannot get my computer to recognize the phone in fastboot mode. Computer does see it when phone is booted to android though. Will this download of yours replace everything and i mean everything and possibly fix whatever is wrong?

Phone is not currently rooted

Everytime windows try in install the phone when in fastboot mode NONE of the drivers i have located will work.

Update:
Got it to work combing steps from another forum. But still have a problem. Apparently what is messed up is the programming mode. When the tech does ##786# the programming mode doesn't appear. What do I need to flash to fix this?

FINAL UPDATE: Got a sprint tech on the phone that knew what they were doing. Phone now works. to access programming MSID took *#*#976879#*#* Hope that code helps someone else
Sent from my SPH-M920 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul627g

IcerC

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I bought a nexus s 4g and did a swap on sprint and the ##786# didn't do anything but *#*#72786#*#* did. Just in case someone needs it.

JordanTheGreat311

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
SOMEBODY HELP ME!
I need to take my phone to the sprint store and Im trying to unroot. But when I hit Y it says "boot.img" could not be found, and that my phone is not a nexus s 4g. What do I do?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
SOMEBODY HELP ME!
I need to take my phone to the sprint store and Im trying to unroot. But when I hit Y it says "boot.img" could not be found, and that my phone is not a nexus s 4g. What do I do?

Which package did you attempt to use? I would recommend the older original package I have listed. Once it works you can OTA update to ICS or leave it like it is, Sprint will accept it because its official OS.

w_wlf3

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Is there anyway to unroot from fastboot? I have tried flashing a bunch of commands from a guide on Nexus Hacks or something but I get forever stuck in the writing 'system' step... any ideas?

JordanTheGreat311

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Which package did you attempt to use? I would recommend the older original package I have listed. Once it works you can OTA update to ICS or leave it like it is, Sprint will accept it because its official OS.

Would you mind walking me through it? Im lost on how to do it because I get the same thing for both saying it cant find "boot.img". I'd appreciate it.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Can someone tell me how to do all the stuff in those instructions because I cant unroot my damn nexus :mad:
Did you have any change of luck yet?

I would be happy to help out with a little custom package I have made similar to the package offered in this thread but without all the fuss and safety checks, etc that seem to mess with devices from time to time...

Let me know..

Paul.

JordanTheGreat311

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Did you have any change of luck yet?

I would be happy to help out with a little custom package I have made similar to the package offered in this thread but without all the fuss and safety checks, etc that seem to mess with devices from time to time...

Let me know..

Paul.
Nope Im still stuck. I've tried everything I could find on the internet and I cant get this thing unrooted.

fpelle

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
I am having this same issue as Jordanthegreat. Just trying to get the phone unrooted and back to stock, so I can install ICS. Nothing I am doing is working at all.

I am however using win7 x64 too. Could this be an issue?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I am having this same issue as Jordanthegreat. Just trying to get the phone unrooted and back to stock, so I can install ICS. Nothing I am doing is working at all.

I am however using win7 x64 too. Could this be an issue?
No this would not be an issue. I have Win 7-64 bit and have no problems using it to restore to stock.

Here is a package I've put together for a few people. Its very similar to the One Click's but with out all the little checks and prompts that seems to cause issues for some...

[WARN] This package will LOCK your bootloader back up, so if you don't want this option please let me know and I can tell you how to change it or offer you a different script without locking the bootloader. It will restore your device back to Gingerbread v2.3.7[/WARN]

1. Make sure you have drivers installed. I recommended Google and download/install PDAnet for your computer. Allow it to install your drivers (pick Samsung) for your device and if prompted to overwrite existing found Samsung drivers allow it to do so. This will also install PDAnet app on your device. Let it do so. Basically this will create a life line between your computer & device.

2. Download the package below. Extract it to your hard drive on your computer.

3. Boot your device into the bootloader. Powered off, press Power+Volume Up.

4. Connect your device via USB cable to your computer.

5. Look inside that extracted package for "run.bat" file. Click on it and the process of flashing should begin. This will only take a few minutes if all goes well.

6. It will finish and reboot you into Gingerbread v2.3.7 which you can then wait 5,10, 15 minutes or so to receive the OTA update to official Android ICS 4.0.4.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ovbqi6owcbqlcrh

Last edited:

bsecure

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
Restore to Factory/Unroot for the Nexus S 4g
The method/instructions provided here will restore your device back to stock Gingerbread v2.3.4. Bootloader will be locked & root removed if it was rooted prior. There are other packages floating around but none seem to work as easily as this one. Its bare bones, restore to stock no safety checks, etc to fail or cause issue it just WORKS. Question: Will this wipe my device? Answer: Your OS will be reset so you will loose any app data, settings etc. associated with the OS. Your internal sdcard/storage will remain untouched so pictures, music, videos, etc will be fine. Question: Do I have to reture to stock Gingerbread to receive the OTA update to ICS? Answer: Yes to receive the OTA update you will need to be running Gingerbread v2.3.7, stock... So using these methods and then allowing your device to update to the latest/final GB will put you into position to receive the ICS update. Instructions:
  1. Go here and download the package. [SCRIPT] [NS4G] [UPDATED] One Click Return to stock V2.0
  2. Extract the contents to your C:/ drive
  3. From a booted state ( Your phone powered up ), enable debugging from your Settings options and plug in your device.
  4. Click the " run.bat " file and relax for a few minutes.
  5. Your device will be restored to Gingerbread, bootloader locked and unrooted (if previously rooted).
Credit & Thanks to michaelpeerman @ xda developers. [TIP]**** Updated Package, unroot/restore to factory ICS 4.0.4 see post #4[/TIP]
will this help for a htc evo 3D?

phirephox

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Recently bought a Nexus S 4G that was rooted for a friend and didn't want them coming to me about it not being able to do things over their network. I can't tell you how much I appericate this one click fix! Saving me a lot of grief and hassle with In-Store "Customer Support" and them asking about why it's been modded and what not. :D:D

xxAuroraxx

Aug 7, 2011
Visit site
After running the one-click stock batch file, my nexus is stuck on the booting Google logo. Did I just brick it? =(

E: Ok so I didn't brick it; I can get into CWM with "adb reboot recovery." But shouldn't the one click method wipe CWM?

thetrain42

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
how long am i supposed to wait on the <waiting for device> screen. and if something is wrong how do i fix the drivers or put it into fastboot