Does the standard root procedure work after the ICS update?

Why does the root procedure require a wipe and is there a way around this? Spent 20 hours customizing this phone the way I wanted...20 hours I cant get back!
    04-22-2012 03:09 PM
    I'm trying to figure that out too after the update it says I'm rooted but I can't perform root actions nor do I c the superuser icon?

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2
    04-22-2012 03:23 PM
    Does the standard root procedure work after the ICS update?

Why does the root procedure require a wipe and is there a way around this? Spent 20 hours customizing this phone the way I wanted...20 hours I cant get back!
    Thats the way its always been done on Nexus. The bootloader is locked and to unlock it means you wipe the device.

There is an option.

If you have a Windows based computer you can use the following thread/app to backup your device and then you can root/install CWM and then restore your data back to your device.

[BETA] Backup Wonder Machine (no root, ICS only)
    giograves likes this.
    04-22-2012 03:30 PM
    Thats the way its always been done on Nexus. The bootloader is locked and to unlock it means you wipe the device.
    Kinda strikes me as odd that a developer device has this minor hurdle vs something like the evo. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

But now am I wasting time trying to root ICS? Xda has no mention of new ICS rooting procedures

04-22-2012 07:27 PM
    Kinda strikes me as odd that a developer device has this minor hurdle vs something like the evo. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

But now am I wasting time trying to root ICS? Xda has no mention of new ICS rooting procedures

The same procedure's used either manually or via One Click Root apps are the same for ICS as they were GB. Nothing has changed there.
    04-22-2012 07:28 PM
    Here's a tip if your bootloader was unlocked before the update u can root without wiping your data seeing as u don't have to unlock it again just root and install the latest recovery

04-24-2012 04:25 PM
    I'm trying to figure that out too after the update it says I'm rooted but I can't perform root actions nor do I c the superuser icon?

Try downloading surperuser from the market
    04-24-2012 11:14 PM
    I fixed that already I'm rooted already but I can't get my tether to work on my ps3

04-27-2012 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD