Where to start??

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
OK, I just rooted my phone (finally, right?). And now I'm in the ROMs forum confused as hell. I see all these different ICS ROMs available, but I'm not sure where to start. I have ROM Manager installed on my phone as well as ROM Toolbox Lite. I have a bunch of apps installed from post-rooting my phone, and I'd like to back them up, and restore them to my new ROM (if possible)..

Here's what I don't get, and can't seem to find clear-cut answers to (part of it because honestly, I'm lazy when it comes to searching forums):

1. What are the best stock-like ROMs available? I don't need fancy themes/mods to the phone other than the kind that improve performance.

2. What is the best way to backup my data and apps, drop a new ROM/kernel in place, and then restore my apps and data back onto the new ROM?

3. Do some people just stick with rooting and keeping the stock ROM? Common practice, or do most people install custom ROMs?

Thanks in advance!

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
OK, I just rooted my phone (finally, right?). And now I'm in the ROMs forum confused as hell. I see all these different ICS ROMs available, but I'm not sure where to start. I have ROM Manager installed on my phone as well as ROM Toolbox Lite. I have a bunch of apps installed from post-rooting my phone, and I'd like to back them up, and restore them to my new ROM (if possible)..

Here's what I don't get, and can't seem to find clear-cut answers to (part of it because honestly, I'm lazy when it comes to searching forums):

1. What are the best stock-like ROMs available? I don't need fancy themes/mods to the phone other than the kind that improve performance.
Most of the ROMs available for the NS4G here are basically stock appearance ROMs. Very little theme has been applied other than a the dev's choice of a battery meter style over the garbage, useless stock battery meter.
2. What is the best way to backup my data and apps, drop a new ROM/kernel in place, and then restore my apps and data back onto the new ROM?
Always boot into CWM and make a Nandroid Backup. This is a copy of your current setup in the event something goes wrong and you need to return or say you just don't like what you see when you flash a new ROM. From there you can also use Titanium Backup or MyBackup to do individual backups of apps & data. These can then be restored to your newly flashed ROM to pull your apps/data back into play.
3. Do some people just stick with rooting and keeping the stock ROM? Common practice, or do most people install custom ROMs?
Sure, some people just unlock their bootloader and apply CWM & Root so they can remove bloatware, wireless tethering, use the backup options I just mentioned above and some just want to run stock but flash a custom kernel for better battery life/processor speed control. Also you have BLN Control (free app) to make your capacitive buttons flash in place of not having a notifications indicator light. Custom kernel is needed to make use of this (any kernel out there should cover this standard option).
Thanks in advance!
No problem. Last suggestion, just my preference but I would dump using ROM Manager. Usually turns into more problems than its worth, and you should become familiar with using CWM's features of flashing ROMs/kernels/etc... and backup/restore options manually instead of relying on ROM Manager.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I love android central, but xda has way more roms (follow the links in the stickies and a great number are over on xda). If you want a true vanilla ics, I would go with bugless beast. Want a vanilla flavor rom that has loads of customizable options? Cm9, aokp or gummy rom are excellent to.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital