Basic Rookie Root Questions

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I've read through the sticky for rooting at the top of this forum, and I have a few unanswered (and pretty basic, I hope) questions all the reading didn't answer.

First, I understand that rooting via either the SDK or One Click Root methods will wipe my phone. I've backed up my data (photos, music, etc.) to my home network. My contacts, I've sync'd with Google's cloud, so I should be good to go there.

But my big question before I start the process is: Once I've rooted, how do I get all that info and all the apps back onto my phone? I assume it *should* pull my contacts back down from the Google cloud (I did it for my wife before), and I can copy and paste the photos and music without a problem, I'm sure... But what about the apps and all their data? Are there any apps that will have issues or conflicts after I root it? Is there any way to find out ahead of time if there will be any issues like that? Once they are installed, is there a way to repopulate the data for them manually?

And in case anyone needs to know, my goal for rooting is to enable WiFi tethering to tether my Kindle while traveling and camping. I have no desire to go beyond the stock phone setup in terms of overclocking, custom launchers, etc.

Thanks for the help, gang!

the727kid

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Data from apps is lost. Google will automatically download all your apps once you sync at set up. Use Titanium Backup to save Data from apps if it's that important.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Data is lost, no way around it. Everything on the internal SD should not be touched though, so your pictures should be safe. Back them up anyways. Make sure you update to the most recent update and baseband. Root, install your recovery. Perform a nandroid backup asap then. Update your profile and pro then proceed to either setting up your phone as you would like or installing a custom rom and kernel. Let us know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

gijoecam

May 11, 2011
Visit site
I *thought* I understood, but now I'm a bit lost again...

So after I use the procedures for the one click root or SDK methods, I should be rooted at that point, correct? You mentioned updating to the latest update and baseband, then root....... and that's where ya' confused me...

I guess I'm not as clear on the process as I thought I was... I've crashed and hacked my way around windows for years, but the whole Android system seems to be a step beyond my comfort zone now... I'm a mechanical engineer and machine repairman by trade, so dealing with this stuff I need you to type slowly and use small words please... ;)

Thanks again for helping answer my dumb questions!

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
From the phone go to settings>about phone and check what version of android and base and you are on. The most recent baseband ends in SPRLC1. If you are there proceed to rooting. If not just check for updates. Then root and proceed from there.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2