[GUIDE] Rooting from Linux and Installing Cyanogenmod

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
I've read a lot of guides on rooting and installing CM and every one of them seems to have a bunch of steps that are missing or not explained well. So I thought I'd write down all the steps I went through in the hope it helps someone else.

Steps to root from Linux And Install Cyanogenmod

ROOTING

1. Download Android SDK Installer (they call this the SDK but it's not the complete SDK)

Android SDK | Android Developers

(Do not worry if you're on 64-bit, you can install the i386 version)

2. Unzip the download and then go to the folder where you installed it and into the "tools" folder. Open a terminal from here.

3. Run the following command:

android sdk

If it throws an error like "If 'android' is not a typo you can use command-not-found to lookup the package that contains it, like this: cnf android" don't worry. Just use the dot-forward-slash to run it like:
./android sdk

4. In the window that opens up, check the box for the platform-tools (and any SDKs you want) and click to install

5. Make sure your phone is on and NOT plugged in to USB and booted into regular Android.

6. Go to "settings->Developer Options" Check "USB Debugging" (*** This is important! ***)

7. Shut down your phone

8. Hold down volume-up and power button until the Green Android guy (and some text) shows up

9. Plug your phone into your desktop via the USB cable

10. In the terminal on your desktop navigate to the platform-tools folder in your Android SDK install folder

11. Run the following command (see #3 if you get an error)

fastboot oem unlock

12. On the phone, press volume up once to choose the option to unlock, then press the power button to select

13. Download the latest ClockworkMod to your platform-tools folder: **Not required to put it in that folder, but it's easier**
ClockworkMod ROM Manager - Recoveries
(Look for the option next to Nexus S 4G. Do NOT choose the "touch" one)

14. Send the CWM file to your phone with this command:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-6.0.1.0-crespo.img
(NOTE: change the exact name of the recovery*.img file to whatever you downloaded. The above example is the latest one at this writing)

15. Download Super User zip to your platform-tools folder:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/at...-guide-rooting-nexus-s-4g-linux-superuser.zip
(File from igotsanevo4g - thanks!)

16. Send super user zip to your phone with this command:(see #3 if you get an error)
adb push SuperUser.zip /sdcard

17. On your phone, use volume down to select "RECOVERY" and push power button to go to it (this loads ClockWorkMod)

18. Again using the volume/power buttons, choose to install a zip file

19. Choose to find the zip file on sdcard

20. Scroll down and find the SuperUser.zip and choose that

21. Ignore all the "No" options. This is just to make you be careful. Select the "Yes, install...." option

Ok, now you're ready for Cyanogenmod
*** LEAVE YOUR PHONE ON, IN RECOVERY/CWM AND PLUGGED IN VIA USB!!! ****

INSTALL CYANOGENMOD

NOTE: You're still in Recovery (i.e. ClockWordMod) at this point. Stay in it!

1. Download both Cyanogenmod and the Google Apps and put both in platform-tools folder:

Cyanogenmod (We're using 9): CyanogenMod Downloads
Lastest at time of writing: http://get.cm/get/jenkins/5798/cm-9.0.0-crespo4g.zip

Google Apps: Latest Version - CyanogenMod Wiki
(Since we're installing CM9, this example uses that one. The latest at time of writing: http://cmw.22aaf3.com/gapps/gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip )

2. In terminal (in platform-tools folder) send both files to your phone:
adb push cm-9.0.0-crespo4g.zip /sdcard/cm-9.0.0-crespo4g.zip
adb push gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip /sdcard/gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip

3. Select the option to Wipe data/factory reset.

4. Select the option to Wipe cache partition.

5. On your phone you're going to repeat the following steps for both the CM9 file and Google Apps file:

a. choose to install a zip file
b. Choose to find the zip file on sdcard
c. Select the "cm-9.0.0-crespo4g.zip" or "gapps-ics-20120317-signed.zip" (do the cyanogenmod one first!)
d. Ignore the "no" options and choose "yes, install...." (The cyanogenmod one takes a bit to run)

6. When both installs are done, select +++++Go Back+++++

7. Select "Reboot system now"

That's it! You're now rooted and on cyanogenmod!

(Please, anyone who finds an error here let me know)

Last edited: