Upgrading from CM Release Candidate to Stable

tmarti8282

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I apologize if this has been covered in a thread before. I've been rooting and ROMming for a while now - first with my EVO 4G and now with my Nexus S 4G. But one thing I've never been clear on is the procedure of wiping data when upgrading ROMs. In this case, I have CM9 release candidate 2 (9.0.0-RC2-crespo4g) running on my NS4G and I want to the upgrade to the newly stable version of CM9 (cm-9.0.0-crespo4g). Do I need to wipe/factory reset before I flash the new ROM or can I simply flash and be fine, ergo keeping all my settings? Gracias por su respuesta.

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
You can try the "dirty" flash, by just wiping the cache and dalvik cache. If it acts weird, then do a full wipe, (including factory reset, wipe cache, format system, format cache. format data, format boot, wipe Dalvik cache) then flash the rom and gapps.

fomotomo

Jan 2, 2012
Visit site
You can try the "dirty" flash, by just wiping the cache and dalvik cache.

thats what its called? Then I always do the dirty lol with no known issues...........or maybe my phone wouldn't heat up as much either I like the raw stuff so I'ma stick the dirty style :D

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

DeathsArrow

May 16, 2010
Visit site
That's what I've seen it called on XDA at least. Some roms can be upgraded that way and some can't. CM9 was great for that, I'd just dirty flash the nighties every day.