Battery mod with stock rom...

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
So, I may have done something silly.

I flashed in the battery mod I found in the JellyButt ROM thread onto my stock (but rooted) NS4G. Now I get notices that the system ui has closed and my top bar is gone.

Am I right in suspecting that that mod was only for the JellyButt ROM?

Also, is there anyone that could help me get this back to the way it should be without having to wipe my phone? I'm away from home on travel right now, and re-doing my phone is not ideal at this point in time.

Update: I found Paul's battery mod thread and tried fixing permissions in recovery and flashing the v6 mod from in there. No dice as of yet. I'm currently downloading (hotel wifi is slow) the NS4G factory image to see if I can grab the SystemUI.apk out of that and reflash with it.

Help?

Last edited:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello.

First , your correct that the mod found in my thread and also in the Jellybutt ROM thread are for those ROMs stated in particular so I'm certain that is why your getting FC's on SystemUI.apk.

Second.. Did you make a Nandroid backup before flashing this or have a previous backup to try? You do know this is the rule of thumb before making any changes.... Make a backup.

Third, the NS4G factory images will not do you any good. Those are in "img" format and meant to be used in Fastboot to flash the device. There is no SystemUI that you can directly extract from those.

Your best bet at this point would be to grab something like Titanium Backup or My Root Backup from the Play Store and backup your data then wiping the device since your away from home or see if you could get lucky and find someone with a rooted "stock" device that can pull their SystemUI.apk from their device and send it to you to "push" using ADB or flash it in CWM...

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I was afraid of that. No, I don't have a backup made prior to flashing. Silly me.

Ah well.

I can do a Titanium Backup, but wouldn't that pull in the bad SystemUI.apk?

Also, do you know if anyone has made that mod available for stock?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I was afraid of that. No, I don't have a backup made prior to flashing. Silly me.

Ah well.

I can do a Titanium Backup, but wouldn't that pull in the bad SystemUI.apk?

Also, do you know if anyone has made that mod available for stock?

No, titanium backup you can selectively pick what you want. SystemUI being a system file will probably not even be an option to back up.

I will see what I can come up with for a battery mod ;)

Any style/preferences you prefer out of the common bat mods?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
No, titanium backup you can selectively pick what you want. SystemUI being a system file will probably not even be an option to back up.

Ok. I'm currently running a "Backup all user apps + system data" batch'd backup. After that, I was going to (per documentation) double-check the backup of system data (call logs, sms, etc).

I will see what I can come up with for a battery mod ;)

Any style/preferences you prefer out of the common bat mods?

That's awesome, thank you! The standard one I see on the JellyButt pictures (battery-looking icon with numbers next to it) is fine. If I were to ask for the moon, it would be for the icon to change colors as the battery level went down, though I figure that may not be possible. I currently use "Battery Status" to keep an eye on things, and have it go from green->yellow->red - yellow from 70-20, red beneath 20. It's sorta how I'd tweaked my old Pre to work.

BTW - I found what appears to be the OTA for Jelly Bean - is that of any more use than the factory image?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
BTW - I found what appears to be the OTA for Jelly Bean - is that of any more use than the factory image?

You could look inside the zip file for that and see about pulling the SystemUI.apk out of it but there are no guarantees it will work.

I'll see what I can do about the bat mod... If I can gather up my files I will post it here tomorrow AM...

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You could look inside the zip file for that and see about pulling the SystemUI.apk out of it but there are no guarantees it will work.

I found a "SystemUI.apk.p" and a "SystemUI.odex.p" in a "patch" directory. I am suspecting they're not full apk's...

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Its hard to say what they are exactly.... That is correct though since its official OTA it would be in odex format which means you would have a SystemUI.apk and SystemUI.odex, but I believe all those are is patched files that update/overwrite the existing ICS files on your phone so chances are they may not be complete.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Sounds about right. I did also find someone over on xda who cooked up a stock rooted odexed 4.1.1. I'm downloading that rom right now to see if I can pull anything out of it. Just wish this hotel wifi was faster - faster download *and* I could listen to Pandora...

Thanks for your help, Paul. I may not be able to do anything with your mod until Saturday evening or Sunday, but it's much appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
No prob... Suggestion.. If you get your hands on that stock rooted odexed 4.1.1 then make a Nandroid backup of your current setup...

Then turn around and "dirty flash (no wipes)" the ROM over the top of your existing setup. It should take and you might get lucky and it will turn out okay and resolve your FC's....

If it doesn't then just turn around and restore your backup.

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, just to make sure I understand it right:

Boot in to CWM. Run a backup from there.

Mount usb from there (since I can't quite grok how to do it w/o my top bar...), and copy in the rom.

Flash that ROM (which shouldn't delete any actual data I care about - sms, call logs, etc?), then reboot?

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Yep as long as you make that Nandroid Backup first before doing anything your good. If something fails with this flashing you can always return to CWM and restore your Nandroid to bring it back to where you were.. Plus you have all your Titanium backup's too....

Oh you can always download SMS Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store to backup your text msgs... Works great.. Backs them right up to your sdcard (internal storage).

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Oh you can always download SMS Backup and Restore from the Google Play Store to backup your text msgs... Works great.. Backs them right up to your sdcard (internal storage).

Yup. Found that after I wiped my device to re-flash stock for battery issues and discovered I'd lost the smses. Not a huge deal, but I'd rather not lose things if I don't have to. :)

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Success! I decided to take a flier since I'd made the new nandroid backup in addition to the Titanium backup.

The ROM I downloaded did have a plain old SystemUI.apk. I tried putting it into one of the zip files and flashing those, no dice. But I tried another piece of advice from the battery mod thread and moved the apk there by hand with Root Browser Lite. Rebooted, and I'm back to normal. Had to reset my wallpaper, but that's no big deal.

Thanks for the help, Paul.

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
I will odex the mods i built for my stock deodexed ROM maybe tonight. Keep an eye out

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

kuoirad

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd be happy to help test the advanced power menu and battery mods. Though you may have to be a little more explicit in any instructions with me at first, as I'm new to this on the Android side. I am, however, tech-savvy - senior sysadmin in my day job, on the *nix side.

(and remind me to take backups before I do anything.... ;) )

hlxanthus

May 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, right now, I believe I have the percentage battery mod and center lockscreen clock working. The advanced power menu is giving me fits. Very frustrating. Let me get a flashable version together for you. I will post instructions for you when I do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC