[How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
For those of you who may not be as familiar with Android as some of us, Josh has written a great blow by blow description of this process which can be found HERE

-Download THIS FILE and place on the root of your SD card (storage space)
-boot into your bootloader/fastboot mode. (Volume + Power Up, or adb reboot bootloader)
-In CMD
Code:
fastboot oem unlock
-Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
-In CMD
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-5.0.2.0-crespo4g.img
-Boot into Clockwork recovery (from fastboot, choose recovery)
-From recovery: Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card > select su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
-Reboot and you now have super user.

[warn]If you dont do this next step your custom recovery will not be sticky and you'll have to apply it every time you reboot. Not all phones have this file but if your does, you need to do this step[/warn]
Way #1
- Go to THIS post
- Thank Beezy for his work
- Download the attachment on the post (signed_su-2.3.6-extra.zip)
- Flash in recovery

Way #2
-Download root explorer from the market
-Open and grant SU permission
-Drive to system/etc
-Mount as RW (upper right hand corner of screen)
-Long press on install-recovery.sh and rename to install-recovery.sh.bak

Way #3
- In ADB
Code:
mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak

Important Note:
Any question, comments, concerns, bumps, bruises, or otherwise should be discussed here, not by PM'ing me. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, will you update this thread when newer information is available for this phone?

yes. Think i have recovery sticky now. I'm able to boot into it without having to flash each time. I need someone to validate the recovery is not sticky for them following the process above. I need this validated both through ROM manager as well as through fastboot.

What should happen is once you reboot the phone you'll be back at the stock recovery (android with a box and an arrow)

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I took down your instructions from the previous edit of your post. SO not sure what is different. I'm new to the whole android. Im coming from a Palm pre. But im not a dullard either :p

Im not sure what instructions I should follow now lol

Rom Manager?

Just curious but what is the downside to a non-sticky recovery?

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Updated with how to make custom recovery sticky so you don't need to apply it every time.

So let me get this stright, the point of the custom recovery is to "ding ding" flash a custom recovery image (rather then stock recovery) when needed? So the whole point of it being sticky is more of a annoyance of having to get to it first? It has nothing to do with keeping root access when the phone is rebooted.

Right?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I think your mixing up some terminology
So let me get this stright, the point of the custom recovery is to "ding ding" flash a custom recovery image
No, the point of flashing a custom recovery is so you can then flash zips to the phone not created by google. So in post #1, by flashing the custom recovery, you can now flash the SU zip which puts the super user binary and apk in place.

These zips could be as simple as an apk that needs to be in /system (like SU), they can be kernels, they can be themes, they can be ROMs.
So the whole point of it being sticky is more of a annoyance of having to get to it first?
The whole point would be to prevent you from having to flash the custom recovery any time you wanted to go into recovery and flash a zip. Doing what i stated above keeps the custom recovery in place so later, when ROMs, themes, kernels, other hacks come out, you can boot straight into the custom recovery through fastboot without having to flash it again first.

It has nothing to do with keeping root access when the phone is rebooted.

Right?
correct, It has nothing to do with rooting but you will need to apply the custom recovery at least the first time so you can flash the SU zip

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
So my next question is, im running into issues preforming these steps when it comes to the fastboot command.

I installed the Android SDK, and the platform tools from the SDK Manager. The first fastboot command is giving me a error related to adb saying the required dll isn't found.

Is there a driver required for this phone also? When the phone is in fastboot windows xp isn't finding a driver required for it. "Android 1.0" it says.

Thanks for your responses btw :)

Edit: By Copying platform-tools folder to the tools folder were fastboot is that fixed the dll issue. And I think my next problem is the Android Nexus S driver isn't included in the SDK? Or didn't install so I've read I can install it via PDANet's install on the PC when in FastBoot Mode. Update to Follow.

Solved that but now its saying that there is no .zip on the root of the USB Storage. So going to double check I put it there. Thought I did...

And I guess my device got wiped ;) Hadn't really started to use it yet anyways lol

Last edited:

Kloneicle

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Just flashed netarchy's 1.3.0.10 CFS - 2.3.4 kernel and i'm chugging alone at 1.2GHz. Everything seems to be working fine thus far :)

I didn't find a need to overclock this so far. The phone is blazing out of the box. I have had zero lag with my daily actions so far. I was amazed how quickly GPS loaded up. Thanks for all your help btw, root is working. I didn't bother with keeping the custom recovery sticky. I honestly just want to keep this as stock as possible untill needed.

Joebags

May 7, 2011
Visit site
facepalm

i messed up used rom manager to download CM7 before i nandroided. anyway i can get the stock rom back from one of you guys? I have no service as CM doesn't incorporate sprint service yet.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
-Download THIS FILE and place on the root of your SD card (storage space)

-boot into your bootloader/fastboot mode. (Volume + Power Up, or adb reboot bootloader)

-In CMD
Code:
fastboot oem unlock

Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC

-In CMD
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img

-Boot into Clockwork recovery (from fastboot, choose recovery)

-From recovery: Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card > select su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip

Reboot and you now have super user.

[warn]If you dont do this next step your custom recovery will not be sticky and you'll have to apply it every time you reboot. [/warn]
-Download root explorer from the market
-Open and grant SU permission
-Drive to system/etc
-Mount as RW (upper right hand corner of screen)
-Long press on install-recovery.sh and rename to install-recovery.sh.bak

After doing this you'll want to boot into custom recovery from now on using the fastboot menu. If you attempt to boot from recovery using ROM Manager you'll get a black screen.

Had a few problems with getting root to stick but I got it to work. The first thing I did was made a nandroid backup. ;);)

12MaNy

Regional Leg Breaker
Apr 11, 2010
Visit site
I PM'd Amon_RA over at xda about RA Recovery for NS4G, so we can backup our RSA keys. I don't usually use Clockwork so I'm not sure if it backs up wimax.

fixxxer1022

Banned
Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I PM'd Amon_RA over at xda about RA Recovery for NS4G, so we can backup our RSA keys. I don't usually use Clockwork so I'm not sure if it backs up wimax.

+1000 i hate clockwork, id love to see the amon recovery ported over. ill even donate for this to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catherinediane