01-18-2012 06:42 PM
183 12345 ...
tools
    Is it possible to root without adb? I have a 32 bit windows netbook and can't install adb. I had no problem rooting my evo without it.
    ?? Typed from my NS4G that was unlocked on a 32bit windows 7 netbook.
    05-10-2011 06:47 AM
    So do you have adb installed or am I missing something?
    05-10-2011 08:36 AM
    So do you have adb installed
    yeah
    05-10-2011 08:41 AM
    yeah

So how did you get java se jdk installed? Thats what im having trouble with.
    05-10-2011 09:33 AM
    yeah

So how did you get java se jdk installed? Thats what im having trouble with.
    I'm confused, what do you mean how did i get it installed? I installed the JDK just like any other application.
    05-10-2011 09:45 AM
    After i install JDK i try to install Android SDK tool setup. Then a window pops up and says" JDK not found, Java (JRE) is not enough to develop android". Its definitely installed though. Which version of JDK are you using?
    05-10-2011 10:36 AM
    After i install JDK i try to install Android SDK tool setup. Then a window pops up and says" JDK not found, Java (JRE) is not enough to develop android". Its definitely installed though. Which version of JDK are you using?
    When that comes up press "back" button then press "next"
    05-10-2011 10:41 AM
    When that comes up press "back" button then press "next"
    LOL!!! Thanks alot my man, that was so simple!
    05-10-2011 10:44 AM
    for those that are having issues with the device drivers make sure you have phone plugged into a "main" usb port on the computer vs a usb hub of some kind

I was running it through my laptops docking station and a usb hub on my computer and couldn't get it to recognize the phone.

As soon as i plugged it directly into the laptop it loaded the phone up fine.
    05-10-2011 12:51 PM
    few questions -

will unlocking the bootloader and installing the su zip "root" the phone? also, if I make it sticky when I reboot will I have to select what to boot from every time I turn on my phone? If I dont make it sticky, will I lose my root/su access?

Also, how does this effect OTA updates?

Thanks for putting this together, seriously debating doing it.
    05-10-2011 04:56 PM
    I'm stuck, please help. Just brought my Nexus home, I have downloaded .su and placed on phone, I used
    my Epic cable and it recognized it.
    But I cannot get Recovery Clockwork to open. Have downloaded it, but cannot open with WinZip, states error, only supports IMG files that are in ISO format.

So can't unzip, I'm stuck, and will gladly push the Thank you button.

I have had great fun learning and hacking my Epic - now to get stuck on second part of first step
    05-10-2011 05:31 PM
    How can I do this, correctly, on a Mac?
    Thanks!
    05-10-2011 06:22 PM
    I'm stuck, please help. Just brought my Nexus home, I have downloaded .su and placed on phone, I used
    my Epic cable and it recognized it.
    But I cannot get Recovery Clockwork to open. Have downloaded it, but cannot open with WinZip, states error, only supports IMG files that are in ISO format.

So can't unzip, I'm stuck, and will gladly push the Thank you button.

I have had great fun learning and hacking my Epic - now to get stuck on second part of first step
    Only do what the directions say. A recovery is a .IMG file. The file you're downloading is .IMG. The command is to flash an .IMG file. Theres no need to open, edit, modify it in any way.

-Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
    -In CMD
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img
    05-10-2011 06:43 PM
    All good except when I enter "fastboot oem unlock" the terminal says waiting for device, however the device never prompts me for confirmation? Thanks for any help.

So...figured out the computer is not recognising the device after reboot to bootloader.

Nevermind....got it
    05-10-2011 07:28 PM
    worked like a charm after i figured out how to get adb to work. so far it looks like my recovery is working good also
    05-10-2011 09:29 PM
    I still cannot get this phone unlocked. I have read extensively, working on this since last night -

I have downloaded new drivers, pda, sdk and all tools, copied the clockwork file from above, copied and pasted in given file. And yes, the phone is in fastboot Mode, showing locked.

Even tried Recover, goes to Android with Triangle - not good

When typing in cmd, I have tried various, and I do mean various options, began with

It will say "path can't be found", fastboot not recognized as internal or external command, etc.

One stated that a .dll file was missing in adb, downloaded and placed in file.

Cannot find any problems, I am stuck. It looks so simple, but cmd doesn't follow

Would it be best to delete every file in case there is a problem.
    05-11-2011 10:41 AM
    There are drivers downloaded with the SDK, by the way, in /extras/google/usb_driver

Anyway, I get to the "fastboot oem unlock" and it just sits there saying "Waiting for device"
    05-11-2011 11:19 AM
    can not find "install-recovery.sh"
    and clockwork recovery wont stick, any ideas?
    05-11-2011 11:48 AM
    I still cannot get this phone unlocked. I have read extensively, working on this since last night -

I have downloaded new drivers, pda, sdk and all tools, copied the clockwork file from above, copied and pasted in given file. And yes, the phone is in fastboot Mode, showing locked.

Even tried Recover, goes to Android with Triangle - not good

When typing in cmd, I have tried various, and I do mean various options, began with

It will say "path can't be found", fastboot not recognized as internal or external command, etc.

One stated that a .dll file was missing in adb, downloaded and placed in file.

Cannot find any problems, I am stuck. It looks so simple, but cmd doesn't follow

Would it be best to delete every file in case there is a problem.
    Sounds like you didnt change directory to platform-tools. cd C:\folder\folder\platform-tools <------this is an example. Do not type "\folder\folder". I used that as an example to show a path. I do not have access to your computer so i cannot give you the specific path to use. My personal path is cd C:\android\platform-tools but yours will be different.
    05-11-2011 11:49 AM
    can not find "install-recovery.sh"
    and clockwork recovery wont stick, any ideas?
    What file explorer are you using to browse the /system directory?
    05-11-2011 11:53 AM
    I know you started out with a sticky and good instructions, but as I got into this, and read other forums seeking help, I had fits with sdk, didn't have java, and other things that are needed to make it work. I have
    downloaded these, hopefully the correct ones. I also read somewhere that .dll files had been moved, so tried to copy some of these, even re-downloaded.
    These cannot be opened with Winzip, so I just transferred into folders as I read. Running Windows 7, 64 bit.
    I downloaded the 64 programs but know on my Samsung Epic I had to use the 32 to be recognized.
    I even downloaded PDANet to get the drivers - phone is recognized, transfers files, no yellow exclamation points, just "File Not Found, etc.

My Android Programs are in C: Program Files (86),Android,android-sdk,platform-tools The Recover...crespo.zip is in there, cannot open.

Does this help, should I delete everything to do with this and just download certain files, now knowing I have Java on computer? As an example, I just jailbroke my Ipad, had to use Mozilla to download .ispw because they messed up on Internet Explorer, go figure, but after a day of trying it worked.

So, again, I'm still stuck. And I see other struggling. I would like to unlock and root and see what the future brings!!
    05-11-2011 01:28 PM
    I know you started out with a sticky and good instructions, but as I got into this, and read other forums seeking help, I had fits with sdk, didn't have java, and other things that are needed to make it work. I have
    downloaded these, hopefully the correct ones. I also read somewhere that .dll files had been moved, so tried to copy some of these, even re-downloaded.
    These cannot be opened with Winzip, so I just transferred into folders as I read. Running Windows 7, 64 bit.
    I downloaded the 64 programs but know on my Samsung Epic I had to use the 32 to be recognized.
    I even downloaded PDANet to get the drivers - phone is recognized, transfers files, no yellow exclamation points, just "File Not Found, etc.

My Android Programs are in C: Program Files (86),Android,android-sdk,platform-tools The Recover...crespo.zip is in there, cannot open.

Does this help, should I delete everything to do with this and just download certain files, now knowing I have Java on computer? As an example, I just jailbroke my Ipad, had to use Mozilla to download .ispw because they messed up on Internet Explorer, go figure, but after a day of trying it worked.

So, again, I'm still stuck. And I see other struggling. I would like to unlock and root and see what the future brings!!
    See bold and underlined above.

Per our convo yesterday

Only do what the directions say. A recovery is a .IMG file. The file you're downloading is .IMG. The command is to flash an .IMG file. Theres no need to open, edit, modify it in any way.
    [code]
    -Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
    -In CMD
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img
    did you rename this file.zip? It downloads as a .IMG file, it needs to be a .IMG file for this to work. Theres no need to open, edit, modify it in any way.

-Download it, place it in C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. Do not touch it other than moving it into platform-tools. The name of the file you downloaded and are moving to platform-tools is and needs to be recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img
    -Connect phone to PC via USB cable
    -Boot into fastboot
    -Open CMD
    -cd C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools [hit enter]
    - fastboot oem unlock [hit enter]
    - fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img [hit enter]
    nmoreman likes this.
    05-11-2011 02:05 PM
    hey guys,

i rooted and unlocked my nexus s 4G. everything works fine. root sticks, but when i go into recovery and try to mount usb nothing happens i can't see my phone.

any ideas ?
    05-11-2011 02:23 PM
    hey guys,

i rooted and unlocked my nexus s 4G. everything works fine. root sticks, but when i go into recovery and try to mount usb nothing happens i can't see my phone.

any ideas ?
    My usb wont mount in recovery either. Somebody needs to modify the recovery kernel i believe (not it lol).
    05-11-2011 02:32 PM
    What file explorer are you using to browse the /system directory?
    I'm using root explorer. I mount as R/W and can't see that file under etc. I even did a search for it and nothing. But I'm thinking that's ok, as I was searching xda for help I came across a good point

As some one pointed it out on another topic, the good thing about this is that youll never lose the stock recovery of 2.3, thus minimizing the chance of a bricked phone.
    05-11-2011 03:01 PM
183 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD