01-18-2012 06:42 PM
183 ... 45678
tools
    -Download THIS FILE and place on the root of your SD card (storage space)
    -boot into your bootloader/fastboot mode. (Volume + Power Up, or adb reboot bootloader)
    -In CMD
    Code:
    fastboot oem unlock
    -Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
    -In CMD
    Code:
    fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img
    -Boot into Clockwork recovery (from fastboot, choose recovery)
    -From recovery: Install zip from SD card > Choose zip from SD card > select su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip
    -Reboot and you now have super user.

[warn]If you dont do this next step your custom recovery will not be sticky and you'll have to apply it every time you reboot. Not all phones have this file but if your does, you need to do this step[/warn]
    -Download root explorer from the market
    -Open and grant SU permission
    -Drive to system/etc
    -Mount as RW (upper right hand corner of screen)
    -Long press on install-recovery.sh and rename to install-recovery.sh.bak

After doing this you'll want to boot into custom recovery from now on using the fastboot menu. If you attempt to boot from recovery using ROM Manager you'll get a black screen.

Important Note:
    Any question, comments, concerns, bumps, bruises, or otherwise should be discussed here, not by PM'ing me. Thanks in advance.
    Ok im having trouble with this. My phone is Rooted form VM Froyo. Samsung Intercept. Command Prompt isnt working to try and get the first file to my phone. and Volume up + power doesnt do anything with my phone. What am i doing wrong?
    05-17-2011 06:10 PM
    Ok im having trouble with this. My phone is Rooted form VM Froyo. Samsung Intercept. Command Prompt isnt working to try and get the first file to my phone. and Volume up + power doesnt do anything with my phone. What am i doing wrong?
    You might want to try the http://forum.androidcentral.com/samsung-intercept/ forums. This thread your posting in (you might want to delete 1 BTW, you double posted) is the Samsung NS4G.
    05-17-2011 08:56 PM
    how do we unroot?
    05-17-2011 09:51 PM
    you restore the original samsung file from here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...g-factory.html
    05-17-2011 10:16 PM
    Im having trouble with this. Ive downloaded both things, and I have put the zip file on my sd card. Now i have tried both ways to get fast boot to work. command prompt says:
    Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\user 1>fastboot oem unlock
    'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
    operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\user 1>

Now am i doing something wrong? And i tried Volum up + power and nothing special just normal boot.What am i doing wrong?
    fastboot file is not in your path. on my install of android sdk adb and fastboot are in different directories. i believe fastboot is located in platform-tools folder. if not then its in tools folder where your android sdk is installed
    05-17-2011 10:18 PM
    you restore the original samsung file from here: http://forum.androidcentral.com/spri...g-factory.html
    I am unrooted, and now want to remove the clockwork recovery, I did not have to do the rename file to make it sticky.

Can anyone help me with that?

and Kalex - thanks for the help, but that method only works currently on windows

Also, there is no install-recover.sh in /system/etc
    05-18-2011 08:09 AM
    fastboot file is not in your path. on my install of android sdk adb and fastboot are in different directories. i believe fastboot is located in platform-tools folder. if not then its in tools folder where your android sdk is installed
    Make sure fastboot.exe and adb.exe are both in platform-tools and make sure that location is in your path variable.

My path variable includes this location:

Code:
    D:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools
    Yours may vary from this. Then you can adb or fastboot from any command prompt. Just ensure that if your commands are pushing files, that the files are in the directory that you are using the command prompt from.
    05-18-2011 09:53 AM
    I am unrooted, and now want to remove the clockwork recovery, I did not have to do the rename file to make it sticky.

Can anyone help me with that?

and Kalex - thanks for the help, but that method only works currently on windows

Also, there is no install-recover.sh in /system/etc
    try this: [NS4G] AOSP & Stock ROMs | How To Root/Unroot | OTA Files & Images - xda-developers
    05-18-2011 11:02 AM
    thank you for this. It worked perfectly - I am now rooted with the original android recovery file.
    05-18-2011 12:39 PM
    Updated OP with the new recovery (3.1.0.1) courtesy of BuglessPete. Thanks Pete for posting and thanks simon for pointing it out.
    05-18-2011 02:28 PM
    i reverted back to the old clockwork recovery. the new one doesn't seem to wipe very well IMO. i swear i hate clockwork, we need a simple amon type recovery. has anyone contacted him?
    05-19-2011 05:48 AM
    Hey guys I've sifted thru a lot of theese posts here and on XDA but for the life of me I can not get CMD to work properly, I get a message saying that it is not a valid command (or something to that affect) I guess I'm too much of a noob So I was wondering does anyone have a link to a step by step video? I tried YouTube but couldn't find much...ANy help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys
    05-19-2011 12:02 PM
    [GUIDE] Nexus S 4G Simple Root/Unroot - xda-developers in XDA General Section

All of the above coupled with a couple of different explanations (such as opening command window in sdk vs Windows) made all the difference in success. Just re=read and keep trying, this worked for me (finally)
    05-21-2011 09:07 PM
    good stuff
    05-23-2011 10:48 PM
    Has anyone else noticed less speed in performance since rooting?
    05-25-2011 02:48 PM
    no. mine is same as before
    05-25-2011 04:26 PM
    retracted because i posted to soon. will be back if i have something to offer.
    05-27-2011 11:47 PM
    I cant get clockwork recovery to stick. I tried root explorer to change the file name but apparently i have one of the phones it doesnt work on. Does anyone know of any other options? Iv come to terms with having to fastboot everytime i flash but i sure miss doing it on the fly. Thanks in advance for any help.
    06-07-2011 10:43 AM
    I cant get clockwork recovery to stick. I tried root explorer to change the file name but apparently i have one of the phones it doesnt work on. Does anyone know of any other options? Iv come to terms with having to fastboot everytime i flash but i sure miss doing it on the fly. Thanks in advance for any help.
    I didn't have the file on my phone.

I flashed it through fastboot and then again through rom manager (twice) and now it's all kinds of sticky.
    slacker76 likes this.
    06-07-2011 11:21 AM
    I didn't have the file on my phone.

I flashed it through fastboot and then again through rom manager (twice) and now it's all kinds of sticky.
    Apparently flashing twice through rom manager is the key. Thanks alot bro!
    06-07-2011 11:40 AM
    Apparently flashing twice through rom manager is the key. Thanks alot bro!
    No problem, I'm glad it worked out for you!
    06-07-2011 12:12 PM
    How would I change this process if I wanted to install CM7?

Sorry, Im completely new to this process.
    06-10-2011 10:54 PM
    when i type in FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK my cmd says it is not recognized..

edit: is this for people already rooted?
    07-03-2011 10:20 PM
    when i type in FASTBOOT OEM UNLOCK my cmd says it is not recognized..

edit: is this for people already rooted?
    Are you in bootloader when you type the command?
    07-29-2011 03:28 AM
    [warn]If you dont do this next step your custom recovery will not be sticky and you'll have to apply it every time you reboot. Not all phones have this file but if your does, you need to do this step[/warn]
    -Download root explorer from the market
    -Open and grant SU permission
    -Drive to system/etc
    -Mount as RW (upper right hand corner of screen)
    -Long press on install-recovery.sh and rename to install-recovery.sh.bak

After doing this you'll want to boot into custom recovery from now on using the fastboot menu. If you attempt to boot from recovery using ROM Manager you'll get a black screen.

Important Note:
    Any question, comments, concerns, bumps, bruises, or otherwise should be discussed here, not by PM'ing me. Thanks in advance.
    Just wanted to add that you should be able to run this in adb shell if they don't want to use root explorer.
    #
    Code:
     mv /system/etc/install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh.bak
    I remember that prob,from the opti
    KSmithInNY likes this.
    07-29-2011 03:38 AM
183 ... 45678
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD