[How-To] Unlock, Install SU, Custom Recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm stuck, please help. Just brought my Nexus home, I have downloaded .su and placed on phone, I used
my Epic cable and it recognized it.
But I cannot get Recovery Clockwork to open. Have downloaded it, but cannot open with WinZip, states error, only supports IMG files that are in ISO format.

So can't unzip, I'm stuck, and will gladly push the Thank you button.

I have had great fun learning and hacking my Epic - now to get stuck on second part of first step

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm stuck, please help. Just brought my Nexus home, I have downloaded .su and placed on phone, I used
my Epic cable and it recognized it.
But I cannot get Recovery Clockwork to open. Have downloaded it, but cannot open with WinZip, states error, only supports IMG files that are in ISO format.

So can't unzip, I'm stuck, and will gladly push the Thank you button.

I have had great fun learning and hacking my Epic - now to get stuck on second part of first step

Only do what the directions say. A recovery is a .IMG file. The file you're downloading is .IMG. The command is to flash an .IMG file. Theres no need to open, edit, modify it in any way.

-Download THIS FILE and place in platform-tools on your PC
-In CMD
Code:
fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img

MichaelMcEntire

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
All good except when I enter "fastboot oem unlock" the terminal says waiting for device, however the device never prompts me for confirmation? Thanks for any help.

So...figured out the computer is not recognising the device after reboot to bootloader.

Nevermind....got it

Last edited:

shibby

May 10, 2011
Visit site
worked like a charm after i figured out how to get adb to work. so far it looks like my recovery is working good also

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I still cannot get this phone unlocked. I have read extensively, working on this since last night - :mad:

I have downloaded new drivers, pda, sdk and all tools, copied the clockwork file from above, copied and pasted in given file. And yes, the phone is in fastboot Mode, showing locked.

Even tried Recover, goes to Android with Triangle - not good

When typing in cmd, I have tried various, and I do mean various options, began with

It will say "path can't be found", fastboot not recognized as internal or external command, etc.

One stated that a .dll file was missing in adb, downloaded and placed in file.

Cannot find any problems, I am stuck. It looks so simple, but cmd doesn't follow

Would it be best to delete every file in case there is a problem.

Trun

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
There are drivers downloaded with the SDK, by the way, in /extras/google/usb_driver

Anyway, I get to the "fastboot oem unlock" and it just sits there saying "Waiting for device"

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I still cannot get this phone unlocked. I have read extensively, working on this since last night - :mad:

I have downloaded new drivers, pda, sdk and all tools, copied the clockwork file from above, copied and pasted in given file. And yes, the phone is in fastboot Mode, showing locked.

Even tried Recover, goes to Android with Triangle - not good

When typing in cmd, I have tried various, and I do mean various options, began with

It will say "path can't be found", fastboot not recognized as internal or external command, etc.

One stated that a .dll file was missing in adb, downloaded and placed in file.

Cannot find any problems, I am stuck. It looks so simple, but cmd doesn't follow

Would it be best to delete every file in case there is a problem.
Sounds like you didnt change directory to platform-tools. cd C:\folder\folder\platform-tools <------this is an example. Do not type "\folder\folder". I used that as an example to show a path. I do not have access to your computer so i cannot give you the specific path to use. My personal path is cd C:\android\platform-tools but yours will be different.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I know you started out with a sticky and good instructions, but as I got into this, and read other forums seeking help, I had fits with sdk, didn't have java, and other things that are needed to make it work. I have
downloaded these, hopefully the correct ones. I also read somewhere that .dll files had been moved, so tried to copy some of these, even re-downloaded.
These cannot be opened with Winzip, so I just transferred into folders as I read. Running Windows 7, 64 bit.
I downloaded the 64 programs but know on my Samsung Epic I had to use the 32 to be recognized.
I even downloaded PDANet to get the drivers - phone is recognized, transfers files, no yellow exclamation points, just "File Not Found, etc.

My Android Programs are in C: Program Files (86),Android,android-sdk,platform-tools The Recover...crespo.zip is in there, cannot open.

Does this help, should I delete everything to do with this and just download certain files, now knowing I have Java on computer? As an example, I just jailbroke my Ipad, had to use Mozilla to download .ispw because they messed up on Internet Explorer, go figure, but after a day of trying it worked.

So, again, I'm still stuck. And I see other struggling. I would like to unlock and root and see what the future brings!!

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I know you started out with a sticky and good instructions, but as I got into this, and read other forums seeking help, I had fits with sdk, didn't have java, and other things that are needed to make it work. I have
downloaded these, hopefully the correct ones. I also read somewhere that .dll files had been moved, so tried to copy some of these, even re-downloaded.
These cannot be opened with Winzip, so I just transferred into folders as I read. Running Windows 7, 64 bit.
I downloaded the 64 programs but know on my Samsung Epic I had to use the 32 to be recognized.
I even downloaded PDANet to get the drivers - phone is recognized, transfers files, no yellow exclamation points, just "File Not Found, etc.

My Android Programs are in C: Program Files (86),Android,android-sdk,platform-tools The Recover...crespo.zip is in there, cannot open.

Does this help, should I delete everything to do with this and just download certain files, now knowing I have Java on computer? As an example, I just jailbroke my Ipad, had to use Mozilla to download .ispw because they messed up on Internet Explorer, go figure, but after a day of trying it worked.

So, again, I'm still stuck. And I see other struggling. I would like to unlock and root and see what the future brings!!

See bold and underlined above.

Per our convo yesterday

Only do what the directions say. A recovery is a .IMG file. The file you're downloading is .IMG. The command is to flash an .IMG file. Theres no need to open, edit, modify it in any way.
Code:
-Download [URL="http://db.tt/sZFMOtQ"]THIS FILE[/URL] and place in platform-tools on your PC
-In CMD
[code]fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img

did you rename this file.zip? It downloads as a .IMG file, it needs to be a .IMG file for this to work. Theres no need to open, edit, modify it in any way.

-Download it, place it in C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools. Do not touch it other than moving it into platform-tools. The name of the file you downloaded and are moving to platform-tools is and needs to be recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img
-Connect phone to PC via USB cable
-Boot into fastboot
-Open CMD
-cd C:\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools [hit enter]
- fastboot oem unlock [hit enter]
- fastboot flash recovery recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-crespo.img [hit enter]

Last edited:
Reactions: nmoreman

baap786

May 8, 2011
Visit site
hey guys,

i rooted and unlocked my nexus s 4G. everything works fine. root sticks, but when i go into recovery and try to mount usb nothing happens i can't see my phone.

any ideas ?

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
hey guys,

i rooted and unlocked my nexus s 4G. everything works fine. root sticks, but when i go into recovery and try to mount usb nothing happens i can't see my phone.

any ideas ?

My usb wont mount in recovery either. Somebody needs to modify the recovery kernel i believe (not it lol).

hitman-_-45-_-

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
What file explorer are you using to browse the /system directory?

I'm using root explorer. I mount as R/W and can't see that file under etc. I even did a search for it and nothing. But I'm thinking that's ok, as I was searching xda for help I came across a good point

As some one pointed it out on another topic, the good thing about this is that you?ll never lose the stock recovery of 2.3, thus minimizing the chance of a bricked phone.

KSmithInNY

#winning
Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm using root explorer. I mount as R/W and can't see that file under etc. I even did a search for it and nothing. But I'm thinking that's ok, as I was searching xda for help I came across a good point

Yep i just wanted to make sure you were using an explorer that allows browsing on /system. As i state in post #1, some phones have this, others don't.

nmoreman

Apr 2, 2010
Visit site
I checked the file - it didn't have zip, I just thought it did because its formatted with zip. There was nothing
behind it, so I modified by adding .img as you said it should be.

Put phone in fastboot mode with 2 fingers, plugged in with Android Guy, mostly white lettering, cmd and typed exactly what you said.

It comes back "System can't fine the path identified"

Typed second line and got "fastboot is not recognize as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

I read somewhere about path, going in and changing environmental areas in systems, checked all drivers,
downloaded SDK Mgr, Recover.crespo, Superuser (on card), needed a Java, and PDANet. Added AdbWinApi.dll (downloaded and placed in Tools) because it kept coming back last night that this was missing (several instances all over). Downloaded fastboot (app .exe) which does nothing andd recovery file (shows zip but is .img) This was gathered off of Modaco and xda. Some might be for Mac or TMobile phones, so dont know if I have put something somewhere in the wrong place.

I really, really appreciate your followup to my questions, but I'm tired of this and going golfing, will look tomorrow to see if there are any better ideasl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
w8wca